Wrestling Forum banner

The WWE, as we know it, is all but dead...

5292 63
Tonight's RAW all but confirmed it for me. It's been in the making for the past few years, but I don't think I've ever seen it in such a dreadful state. Not since WCW circa 1999-2000 have I been more befuddled and confused on a weekly basis from watching a Wrestling program.

It's like they've forgotten how to do everything. Seriously... EVERYTHING! To try and put a label on just one particular aspect of the show would be a grave injustice because pretty much everything about the show is just... well, wrong. Why can't they tell a story anymore? Why can't they develop characters? Why can't they naturally create tension? When did booking become a lost art?

Why are the two World Champions competing in a pointless match with absolutely nothing at stake on free television and in the middle of the show!?!? Why is there no mid card? Why aren't titles important? Why even bother with the female division when less than a fraction of a percent of your audience gives a shit? Why is every face character the same? Why is every heel character the same? Why is every diva the same? Why is every promo the same? Why is every show the same? Why is Michael Cole both heel AND face? Why is Lawler involved in major angles with the World Champion? When did more than half the roster become throw away characters with no purpose whatsoever? Why does Husky Harris look the way he does and why is he competing in a WWE ring? What does he even do? Why would I pay to watch a PPV when I see the same superstars in the ring with each other in the same matches for free week in and week out? Why is my dog telling me to kill people? It drives me crazy!

Okay, I know how this works. I know what to expect. This is when all the smarmy members of the IWC respond with, "Then why are you watching?" or "WWE is as good as it's always been, you're just being overly critical".

I'm sorry. That's all bullshit, and spare me the lecture. Anyone who's a fucking teenager, or hasn't been watching Wrestling before the year 2000 has no idea what I'm talking about. There is a clear lack of structure in today's product, and anyone who's been a faithful viewer since the 80's and/or 90's should at least be able to attest to that. It's as if they've taken years upon years of proven method and just decided to ignore it altogether. They've completely abandoned just about everything that's worked for them in the past. Is it a new age? Yes. It a new time? Yes. Would everything that was successful back then be successful now? No, not everything. But you don't just stray away from the core fundamentals. That's supposed to be the easy part. You stick with what works.

WWE just seems very, very content with maintaining the status quo right now. That's what scares me. There just doesn't seem to be any planning whatsoever. Everything just feels so contrived and random... and illogical. There's nothing sensational about the product. It's all just very sterile, very predictable, and very blah. So, so blah.

/rant

Go easy on me.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
how are the heels the same

punk
wade
miz
sheamus
del rio

are nothing alike
They all have that "holier than though" attitude. Ya know, they all walk around with their chins up in the air and have long conversations about how much better they are than everyone else.

It wasn't always like this. Back in the day heels were also villains who you hated because of how raw and vicious they were. Is anyone scared of Punk, Wade, Miz, Sheamus or Del Rio? Hell no! Your just annoyed by them, so you boo them. A heel used to be something far more intriguing,

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Every week I PVR Raw and go through it later that night. Between the commercials and pointless crap I find I watch about 15 minutes of the actual show. Out of 120 minutes 15 are worth watching. Back in the day I would watch the entire show without changing the station because you never knew what was coming. Even if it was an average match something could come out of nowhere.

I honestly don't know how people sit down and watch the full show. I try to be a fan, I want to be a fan! I love wrestling and the entertainment but most of the 2 hours is a total waste of time. I mean Cena spent more time throwing out the other members than the match lasted!!!!! and of course what do we do before any ppv like this? let's have everyone fight in the ring to end the show. So original!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I agree with ya on the titles not meaning anything. Thats wwe's and tna's business model these days. Nothing can change that until McMahon and Bishoff both realise we want the titles to be the focus of the shows.

As to raw itself though. The show has been the best it's been in ages. I can actually watch an entire episode now days. I couldn't do that back in 2009.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I admit that i begin to hate when WWE and US pro-wrestling in general overuses Entertainement and easy dramatic elements (cheap comedy, blood and gore, speeches, acting, shocking and unrealistic facts or quickly drawn storylines and characters).

It increasingly lacks what Wrestling and Pro-wrestling always were : a competition of athletics and strategy between two people and technics.

And yes in WWE or TNA commentators comment future or past matches instead of giving life to current matches. There are far too much TV ads and "OMG next PPV is so awesome" to keep viewers interested. Did I mention cheap Entertainement for kiddies and cheap comedy sitcom TV-addicts ?

Too much bad acting not enough high quality fights.

TNA = Total Non Action
WWE = Wantage of Wrestling and (bad) Entertainement

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
I'm not going to disagree with you, actually. It's what I've been saying. They can't do anything without their paint by numbers booking. If you recall I posted a thread that said every Raw starts with an in ring promo or conflict and then the GM sets up some main event based on it for some reason.

Was there a real reason to have Punk face Barrett? Was there a reason to have their entire group's Rumble spots on the line? Even if you go by the logic that the GM wanted to settle differences between the groups (or more likely provoke war), for no reason he has John Cena be the guest referee, KNOWING it will create tension...and then punishes him later for doing the same thing. Cena's a hypocrite, by the way.

It doesn't feel like the angles are organic. It just seems like all people do nowadays is argue in the ring until the authority figure makes a match that is 'the greatest in the history of Raw' or something. It comes off as 'the GM is trying to get ratings'. That's all. Why was there a champion vs champions match? 'Ratings' is the only reason. But if there's no reason for the match, then why have it? A desperate attempt to sell the go home show.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Well....yeah, it sucks, we all know that. We also all know, as Im sure Vince does, that its not a patch on how it used to be.

Doesnt stop us watching though, so who is winning?

·
Registered
363 Posts
One thing that bugs me is Josh Mathews and now Michael Cole are on both shows
and they don't seem to trust Josh Mathews and Matt Striker to work alone together
unless if they got rid of Striker but they are close to getting rid of the annoying
Todd Grisham if they don't trust Matt Striker and Josh Mathews to do a show alone then
why don't you just release Matt Striker if you think that he is just that annoying, but
why not have Jim Ross come back and team with Josh Mathews and get rid of the waste about
Matt Striker if you guys don't like him and why is it taking them so long to release him
if they wanted to even Lawler&Cole look like they have a problem with Striker but if there
stuck with him he'll just go to TNA or go back to teaching but probably TNA but I would
feel sad for TNA if they got him going with Taz but they will probably keep Mike Tenay
in there but at least they arn't 2 shows but still.

·
Registered
284 Posts
and they don't seem to trust Josh Mathews and Matt Striker to work alone together
unless if they got rid of Striker but they are close to getting rid of the annoying
Todd Grisham if they don't trust Matt Striker and Josh Mathews to do a show alone then
why don't you just release Matt Striker if you think that he is just that annoying, but
why not have Jim Ross come back and team with Josh Mathews and get rid of the waste about
Matt Striker if you guys don't like him and why is it taking them so long to release him
if they wanted to even Lawler&Cole look like they have a problem with Striker but if there
stuck with him he'll just go to TNA or go back to teaching but probably TNA but I would
feel sad for TNA if they got him going with Taz but they will probably keep Mike Tenay
Aaaaaand Breathe!

·
Banned
2,855 Posts
^ the way you type bugs me.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not going to disagree with you, actually. It's what I've been saying. They can't do anything without their paint by numbers booking. If you recall I posted a thread that said every Raw starts with an in ring promo or conflict and then the GM sets up some main event based on it for some reason.
Agreed, and the "conflicts" themselves are all built upon the same foundation. No longer is there a unique dynamic to each individual feud. No longer is it a clash of characters, or a difference of ideology. No, now it's all the same. Someone comes out, puts on a comedy routine, mocks his opponent, opponent interrupts, tries to one up the guy in the ring, conflict ensues.

Remember when a big event use to have... :: gulp :: ... build up? Remember when weekly programming would advance the story and further the feud, all culminating to a boiling point at the next PPV?

But nah, let's have our biggest stars duke it out for no apparent reason every week so that we over saturate the product and completely undermine the notion of a "big" match.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
As long as you're watching, they have no incentive to change. Vote with your remote control if you really care that much. Sorry, but that's the way it works. While they're selling thousands of tickets every night and pulling in decent viewing figures, no-one's going to be looking at changing anything.

I'm not actually sure why people that hate watching the WWE still watch the WWE. It's a piece of piss to follow to make sure you're not missing anything, it's a piece of piss to download the shows if there is something you really want to see, it's a piece of piss to find something else to do with your time, it's a piece of piss to try other wrestling companies if you NEED the business in your life that much, especially with the internet.

I don't get the threads, every single day. You've really got nothing better to do than watch a show you hate because you thought it was good 10 years ago?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Well they might as well close up shop......oh no wait they are still turning a profit year in and year out.

I dont like the product as much as I did in the 80s and 90s but when you really think about it is anything as good as it was when you were younger? Not really.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NoGimmicksNeeded said:
As long as you're watching, they have no incentive to change. Vote with your remote control if you really care that much. Sorry, but that's the way it works. While they're selling thousands of tickets every night and pulling in decent viewing figures, no-one's going to be looking at changing anything.

I'm not actually sure why people that hate watching the WWE still watch the WWE. It's a piece of piss to follow to make sure you're not missing anything, it's a piece of piss to download the shows if there is something you really want to see, it's a piece of piss to find something else to do with your time, it's a piece of piss to try other wrestling companies if you NEED the business in your life that much, especially with the internet.

I don't get the threads, every single day. You've really got nothing better to do than watch a show you hate because you thought it was good 10 years ago?
Well they might as well close up shop......oh no wait they are still turning a profit year in and year out.

I dont like the product as much as I did in the 80s and 90s but when you really think about it is anything as good as it was when you were younger? Not really.
See? I hate this attitude. I'm fully aware that WWE makes a ton of money. I wasn't questioning or doubting their business model, therefore I don't understand why people feel the need to bring that up whenever someone criticizes them. The fact that they're still raking in cash and turning a profit doesn't mean that the product is immune to criticism.

And no, I'm not just blinded by nostalgia. I'm aware that even the 80's and 90's had their fair share of misses. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about a clear lack of structure and a clear lack of direction plaguing today's product, and a complete disregard for the fundamentals.

All I said was that WWE, as I once knew it, was dead. I never said they should close down shop. I never said they weren't making money. I never said they were going to tank. I was just expressing my own opinion on a WRESTLING FORUM where wrestling fans have the right to do just that. It's not that I don't have anything better to do. I'm just a fan, just like anyone else, and I felt the need to vent. That's all. Either agree, or don't.

·
Administrator
83,065 Posts
The WWE isn't dead. Right now they are just going through tough times creatively (need switch ups in creative) and star power wise. Raw's not loaded with stars anymore, Taker's out, and the only stars on Smackdown are Edge and Mysterio. Maybe Show if they decided to act like he's more important.

WWE has always gone through this cycle of ups and downs since the Hulkamania era. Once they pick it up, everyone will talk about how good the product is.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.