1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not my "Wrestling Rulebook" but a collection of thoughts that
I have put together from a selection of books and interviews from active
performers (Al Snow, William Regal, Chris Jericho, Bret Hart, The Legends
of Wrestling etc pp) You are welcome to comment and discuss but I would most like to hear
further suggestions to the list.

So here we go:

The Wrestling Rulebook Draft 1.0

1) While it takes two people to have a good match, it only takes one to stink up the place.
2) If you have a gimmick- use it. You can say whatever you want about the Honkey
Tonk Man- but he sang the song, danced the dance and struck the guitar over Jake´s head.
3) A heel always takes the low road or the easy way- even if he wouldn´t have to.
4) A heel puts a thump in they eye because he wants to, not because he has to.
7) William Regal gets booed out of the building waving to the crowd and smiling,
not degrading the local sports team.
4) The babyface can not be out-highspotted, out-powermoved
or out-cooled by the heel all the time or the audience will no longer be invested in the face.
5) Heat draws money.
9) There is heat and there is X-Pac heat. X-Pac heat does not draw money.
6) A good match puts asses in seats. This makes Hogan vs Andre at Wrestlemania 3
better than Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat. Eat it.
8) Throwing potatoes and working a stiff, realistic style is not the same.
10) It is ok to lessen your opponent in a promo but the weaker you
make him look the less your win/ the more your loss will mean.
11) Everything you do has to mean something. If it does not- don´t even bother.
12) Dusty Rhodes weighed 300 pounds, wore a polka-dot ring gear and danced
to the ring with a 50 year old, overweight black woman. Some gimmicks get over.
13) Rocky Maivia. The Ringmaster. Diamond Studd. Others don´t.
14) The Rock had to be Rocky Maivia, Stone Cold had to be the Ringmaster,
Razor Ramon had to be Diamond Studd to evolve into their new gimmick.
14) The better you make your opponent look the better you look.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,154 Posts
I'll always remember what Gory Guerrero told Eddie Guerrero when Eddie was quite young. They were watching a match in Mexico, I believe, and a babyface hit a high-flying move, then stood in the ring, attempting to get an audience reaction for it. Gory told Eddie to never let him catch Eddie doing that. Eddie wondered what the big deal was and Gory explained that you should be getting your just cheers from the move itself, and if you do you do and if you don't you don't, but never beg for the cheers for hitting some move like a clown. (Sorry, I read this a while back and I'm simply paraphrasing it all.)

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Gory Gurrerro knew his shit. I still remember the story when some Mexican chick try to shoot him because he was such a great heel.

Anywho, whatever the Wrestling Rulebook is, Vince Russo took a giant shit on it.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I'll always remember what Gory Guerrero told Eddie Guerrero when Eddie was quite young. They were watching a match in Mexico, I believe, and a babyface hit a high-flying move, then stood in the ring, attempting to get an audience reaction for it. Gory told Eddie to never let him catch Eddie doing that. Eddie wondered what the big deal was and Gory explained that you should be getting your just cheers from the move itself, and if you do you do and if you don't you don't, but never beg for the cheers for hitting some move like a clown. (Sorry, I read this a while back and I'm simply paraphrasing it all.)
Remember that one. Actually there are a lot of Guidence froM Gory in Eddie's Book.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I beleive that was in Jericho's book.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No it wasn't. It was in Eddie's Cheating Death, Stealing Live

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
This is not my "Wrestling Rulebook" but a collection of thoughts that
I have put together from a selection of books and interviews from active
performers (Al Snow, William Regal, Chris Jericho, Bret Hart, The Legends
of Wrestling etc pp) You are welcome to comment and discuss but I would most like to hear
further suggestions to the list.

So here we go:

The Wrestling Rulebook Draft 1.0

1) While it takes two people to have a good match, it only takes one to stink up the place.
2) If you have a gimmick- use it. You can say whatever you want about the Honkey
Tonk Man- but he sang the song, danced the dance and struck the guitar over Jake´s head.
3) A heel always takes the low road or the easy way- even if he wouldn´t have to.
4) A heel puts a thump in they eye because he wants to, not because he has to.
7) William Regal gets booed out of the building waving to the crowd and smiling,
not degrading the local sports team.
4) The babyface can not be out-highspotted, out-powermoved
or out-cooled by the heel all the time or the audience will no longer be invested in the face.
5) Heat draws money.
9) There is heat and there is X-Pac heat. X-Pac heat does not draw money.
6) A good match puts asses in seats. This makes Hogan vs Andre at Wrestlemania 3
better than Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat. Eat it.

8) Throwing potatoes and working a stiff, realistic style is not the same.
10) It is ok to lessen your opponent in a promo but the weaker you
make him look the less your win/ the more your loss will mean.
11) Everything you do has to mean something. If it does not- don´t even bother.
12) Dusty Rhodes weighed 300 pounds, wore a polka-dot ring gear and danced
to the ring with a 50 year old, overweight black woman. Some gimmicks get over.
13) Rocky Maivia. The Ringmaster. Diamond Studd. Others don´t.
14) The Rock had to be Rocky Maivia, Stone Cold had to be the Ringmaster,
Razor Ramon had to be Diamond Studd to evolve into their new gimmick.
14) The better you make your opponent look the better you look.
I believe you mean Mick Foley puts asses in seats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts