Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the WrestleMania, the grandest stage of some certain sports, that happens every year without fail? Here's a few I already know:

Football: Champions League
Rugby Union: Heineken Cup
NFL: Super Bowl

·
You're Pretty Good
9,816 Posts
For football it would be the world cup, although the CL is better standard.

Pretty much the final of any sports:

Stanley Cup Final
World Series
NBA Finals

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
World cup doesnt happen every year. So can't be considered the yearly wrestlemania.

Rest of post is right though. the final of the biggest competition.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Well the world cup is bigger then the UCL, so that would be the wrestlemania, doesn't really matter if it's every year or not seeing as WWE ppv's don't happen once every 4 years. It may not be better (the PPV that follows Mania these days is normally the better event imo).

·
Banned
19,408 Posts
What is the WrestleMania, the grandest stage of some certain sports, that happens every year without fail? Here's a few I already know:

Football: Champions League
Rugby Union: Heineken Cup
No way in hell.

Rugby League: State of Origin
Rugby Union: Super 15 final
NHL: Stanley Cup
Football: Champions League, if you insist on the every year condition. Otherwise its the world cup. Likewise with Union.
NBA: NBA finals

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Golf: Masters
Tennis: Wimbledon
Soccer: Champions League

For any other sport it would be championship game (Super Bowl, Stanley Cup...etc.)

·
Men of Mayhem
7,330 Posts
No way in hell.

Rugby League: State of Origin
Rugby Union: Super 15 final
NHL: Stanley Cup
Football: Champions League, if you insist on the every year condition. Otherwise its the world cup. Likewise with Union.
Best list as of yet.

I will just add what is missing to your list even if it was previously mentioned:

* NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Race For the Chase; you race all year for points and the top 10 + 2 racers whom earn their spot compete for the Championship.
* NASCAR Nationwide Series- Unlike the above mentioned, this is won strictly on points. There is no playoff scenario.
* World Series
* NCAA® Division 1 Final Four
* NCAA® Division 1 Women's Final Four
* NCAA® Division 1 American Football which rotates between these venues Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Fiesta Bowl.
* NCAA® Division 1 Frozen Four
* NCAA® Division 1 Wrestling, which we should all be familiar with, in which 17 weight classes all have a champion.
* Capital Cup which is given to the Division 1 University with the best collective program.

I included major University Sports as there are a ton I simply refused to list them all. I would also like to mention that there are also NCAA® Division 2 and 3 schools that compete for championships, but with them not being at the top I won't bother mentioning them.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Tennis: Wimbledon
Soccer: Champions League
Seeing as Wrestlemania eclipses everything else on the wrestling calendar, I don't think Wimbledon can be counted as the wrestlemania of tennis to be honest. If the grand slams aren't all equal then there is very little between them in regards to importance.

Tour De France is definitely the wrestlemania of cycling. I watch the sport year (well season) round and nothing else comes close in terms of atmosphere, fan support, casual interest, mainstream attention etc.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,817 Posts
National Hockey League: Stanley Cup

<3

·
Banned
18,819 Posts
Seeing as Wrestlemania eclipses everything else on the wrestling calendar, I don't think Wimbledon can be counted as the wrestlemania of tennis to be honest. If the grand slams aren't all equal then there is very little between them in regards to importance.

Tour De France is definitely the wrestlemania of cycling. I watch the sport year (well season) round and nothing else comes close in terms of atmosphere, fan support, casual interest, mainstream attention etc.
Wimbledon is the most prestigious.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Football: World Cup
NFL: Superbowl
Atheltics: Olympics
Horse Racing: Grand National
Cricket: World Cup
Rugby: World Cup
Cycling: Tour de France

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Wimbledon is the most prestigious.
Not to the extent that you could call it the wrestlemania of tennis. A grand slam is still a grand slam whereas wrestlemania overshadows all other PPV's.

Obviously in England Wimbledon is treated as a level above the others but I doubt they see it that way in Australia, France and the States.

·
The People's MVP
1,948 Posts
A lot of people hold Wimbledon in higher regard to the other slams since it is basically the last grass court tournament around and is a throw back to older era's with the having to wear all white and those panama hats and being on grass. It's apparently the oldest tournament also. I always find it interesting that I rarely hear it called "The British Open" like the other slams. But yeah Wimbledon is the biggest, even though technically all 4 are equal.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts