Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 60 man 3 ring battle royale was imo a very good idea, I liked it but what I didn't like is the way WCW filmed it, they put all 3 rings on 3 tiny screen on the tv screen, which made it next to impossible to watch until the end.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I watched the first one not too long ago. I forgot how quick the jobbers and lower midcard guys were tossed out. Eddie Guerrero looked really good in it, and he was a newcomer at that time. Hogan acted like a huge dick after Randy Savage won the World title. He could've turned heel right there that's how much of a little bitch he was acting.

As far as the camera work, I thought it was fine for what it was. They had 3 commentating teams for each ring, and really a battle royal at the start of it is just one big blur of bodies anyway. Overall though I thought it was a fun concept, and I always liked seeing guys who rarely faced each other square off in it.

·
Premium Member
15,005 Posts
I preferred the Battlebowl/Lethal Lottery concept over this. Where random tag matches would be made (often seeing heated rivals teaming up and original tag team partners on separate teams) with the winning team of each match competing later that night in a battle royal.

World War 3 was just too hard for me to follow. I remember buying the VHS of the 1998 edition, which was the only one I actually watched and I couldn't wait until enough people got eliminated so the remaining guys could go in ring 1. Highlight of that event for me was Goldberg coming out to confront Bam Bam, who kept trying to get in the ring. Big pop Goldberg received for that, too.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
My friends and I ordered the first one. It appealed to my 'bigger is better' mentality at the time. Royal Rumbles were cool. They had 30 wrestlers and 1 ring. 60 wrestlers and 3 rings sounded incredible!

But it sucked because it was nearly impossible to follow. I learned a valuable lesson that day in "bigger isn't always better."

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
The concept was terrible. Strip away our feelings as fans and look at it from a realistic stand point. You're giving the fans a PPV main event where not only are there multiple guys in the ring at once but there are also 3 rings to keep your eyes on. It's impossible to keep up with all of the action and it means that even if they finish the match in the middle ring then it still feels further away for the live crowd, which then affects how it comes across on TV.

From a fans stand point though, I loved it. The simple fact that so many guys would be in the ring at once made it feel like anything could happen. It's a great way to start new feuds, progress others and feature some guys you have on roster/want to give a trial to and see what kind of reaction they get from the live crowd and how they deal with the pressure of PPV.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Elimination occurred after being thrown over, between or under the ropes :no:

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,319 Posts
I always wanted WWF/E to try this. If for nothing else, to see all their under-utilized guys in the ring for once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts