Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot even count the amount of times I have heard people use the word "Retard" or "Retarded" as an insult, or hell, like it doesn't even have a meaning. I'll admit, i'm guilty of it. It's a force of habit to say "Damn that's so retarded." or "That retard on my team with the damn shotgun." But really it's not a good word.

My two younger brothers Gavin (9) and Jayden (2) are both autistic. Both of them have developed slower mentally but that's mainly because of what Autism really is. Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, and many other really smart people fall onto the Autism Spectrum. Basically the intelligence is there, and it's way above ours, but they don't know how to show it. My brother Gavin is a wiz with computers. But with everything else, he struggles because he can't understand or communicate. Jayden still can't talk yet and he messes up his sign language alot. Asking for Cookies when he wants to go outside or something like that. They're easily frustrated and are hard to calm down. They take a lot of patience to raise and my mom must have the will of a god. I sure do. I'm basically they're second dad. While my dad is at work, I do all the watching and stuff, feeding, homework help, the works. So when i put all my life's time into helping them, it really hurts to hear someone demean them with a word like "Retard".

They don't know they're autistic. They don't even know they're different. Imagine how you'd feel if you were labeled as different or disabled. You would feel terrible. If gavin asks about it we just try to weasel around the question. They don't know malice, they never mean any harm with anything. They'll insult you but not even realize it. But for people to cold heartedly call them "Retards" is just pure evil. There's no reason for it. They haven't harmed anyone and they couldn't if they wanted to.

In my opinion if it is wrong to say "N**G*R" (I apologize I hate that word it just is a good example) then why is this any different? Black people can't help being black, and disabled people can't help that either. So why can one be mocked and the other cant?

Just a little something to think about...

·
@delecast
4,407 Posts
As a person who has Asperger's syndrome, allow me to say this: YOU'RE FUCKING RETARDED.

Also, calling something retarded is much different than calling someone retarded. It's like that episode with the ...got bikers.

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts
was ready to troll this untill I read the OP, eh it's just a word, I'd never actually call someone with learning difficulties/autism/mentally handicapped retarded, I reserve it for people who just in general...act like spastics?

·
@delecast
4,407 Posts
I was actually diagnosed in third grade by a team of psychologists. Needless to say that I was an absolute horror during childhood.

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
I either joke around about it and say "retardation", "Re-Re", or just plain out "Tard", Retard got a bit old tbh

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
To change language would do you no good, alexfakelastname. If you forbid negative words, people will find other ways - less obvious words - and still say the same things. Only worse, because the reduction of honesty & directness only leads to more hate in the inevitable.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,267 Posts
Why are all the letters beginning each word in the title of this thread capitalized?

That's pretty retarded if you ask me.
Isn't that what you're supposed to do? You know how the title of virtually every book, movie, magazine article, blog post, and anything with a title has the first letter capitalized.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
What's the other word for retarded IWC members if not 'retards'?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts