Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything but the fucking "what" chants. Who else finds them extremely annoying and stale?

Ok when Austin did it, fine. That was Austin's thing and I never minded it back then. I have a problem with it now, it's years and years after Austin left.. and crowds still think it's cool to chant "what!", after every word a heel says.
I've never been to a WWE event and I think it's because if I was sitting next to anyone participating in the "what" chant I would most likely punch them in the face and start yelling "that's what, you son of a bitch!" at their motionless body.

Please stop the "what" chants people, can we all agree to just let the "what" chant die a slow miserable death and never be heard from ever again.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
Really?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I could do without the "what" chants. About 10 years past its "sell by" date.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't see why people have so much hate on this chant, at least its something that gets crowds going even a little bit, which is something we all know crowds fail at today; making noise.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I have no problem with it. If it gets a dead crowd going like it did Monday, fine. Heyman worked his way through it and they shut up anyway. Any decent mic worker can work their way through the "What" chant, so I don't see the issue.

I do hate USA chants though.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do people have the patience to hear "what" after every fucking word, it's just annoying. It kills the heels promo a lot of the time because you stop paying attention to what he has to say and are just anticipating the next "what". That's why it sucks

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's no worse than that stupid fucking YES! chant. That is the most retarded shit in wresting at the moment. The What? chants are mildly amusing to a certain degree but they have passed their lifespan by now I agree.

If you want to complain about something that is about ten thousand times worse...complain about those idiotic YES! chants and the brainless, mindless dickhead fans who chant that retarded bullshit throughout entire episodes of Raw lately.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
It ruins promos/segments and gets childish at times. I disliked it when it started other than when Austin was naming things off, in list like fashion. When crowds started chanting WHAT at every pause, at all the heels, all that - it just got stupid and played out.

I'm shocked it's still around and in that sense it's cool because it's lasted even without Austin but damn..it's taken over a life of its own.

·
Banned
882 Posts
The Yes chant has replaced it. Soon the What chant will be a thing of the past. Even when Bryan stops using it, it will continue to some degree, just like Flair's Woo and What. It will eventually belong to the fans, not the wrestler.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't understand how people tolerate it, or God forbid like it. That stupid fucking chant has ruined so many great promos. Yes > What

·
Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
3,350 Posts
Sadly the "What" chants are so easily contributed from the masses that it will never be completely replaced nor will it disappear from WWE television anytime soon. But fear not, as Damien Sandow's simple yet effective condescending response will at least silence the crowd from chanting it when it matters - in his presence. I think I speak for the majority of the IWC when I quote Mr. Sandow, to all of those who choose to be ignorant miscreants I give you a collective "Thank you for your irrelevant opinions". You're welcome.

·
Banned
24 Posts
What? >>>>>>>>>>>> Yes

It's a lot more effective at getting under people's skin.....

Yes! will be an afterthought after six months, while the crowd will still use "WHAT?" to troll a poor mic worker.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only thing that really bothers me about the "What?" chants is the way in which they can completely undermine a heel segment. No wonder guys like Dolph Ziggler find it difficult to get over when their promos are seemingly made to be irrelevant through the use of just one word.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I don't think "Yes!" is anywhere near the level of annoyance (or popularity) that "What?" has reached. At least when "Yes!" is chanted, it seems fun (for now) and is kind of a way to back D-Bry, but "What?" is said pretty much anytime a heel is on the mic and SCSA hasn't really been around to make it relevant. It really does ruin most promos--does anyone in the crowd even bother to listen to what the person is saying, or do they just sit there and wait for their chance to shout "what?" I get it, the crowd doesn't like the person, but at least pretend to be fans of the product enough to give the person a chance before starting in. A person could be absolute gold on the mic, but either it will constantly get interrupted by the bullshit chants and ruin the flow, or they have to just not take a breath and try to prevent the crowd from chanting it at all.

Sandow's debut is a perfect example. Sure, he got the crowd to stop (somehow), but the very first sentence he said was already followed by "what?" chants. I would really like to get into his character, but if I have to cringe every time he finishes a sentence because of those damn chants, then he'll be pretty much a lost cause as long as he's a heel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts