• Mark Henry (WrestleMania 22)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of 21 years of watching him compete and building towards The Streak, who amongst his opponents helped elevate that now iconic status? The question I'm proposing is not limited to who was the bigger "star" he faced, but think of all leading factors, storylines, build towards the event, the match itself.

And with that in mind I have to vote Randy Orton and the amazing Legend Killer vs. Legend build towards WrestleMania. I still feel this is when the streak was at the most in danger of being beat and the match itself came off really fantastic, especially when Orton countered into that RKO. Followed next by Taker vs. HBK II, Streak vs. Career. Their first encounter was I felt a tad better as far as the match goes, but what sold this rematch for me was the drama leading up to the event. How HBK became obsessed with defeating the streak that he was willing to throw his friendship with HHH by costing them the tag team titles and more importantly his career away just for that opportunity again to take on The Phenom. It was the drama that helped elevate it even more in my view to put it a step above their first match.

But from what we've seen, who knows what 2014 will bring as what could possibly be the definitive Undertaker WrestleMania match and opponent, thus I included it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think Batista. After him the streak was on a whole nother level. However the "smart" answer is HBK.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Out of 21 years of watching him compete and building towards The Streak, who amongst his opponents helped elevate that now iconic status? The question I'm proposing is not limited to who was the bigger "star" he faced, but think of all leading factors, storylines, build towards the event, the match itself.

And with that in mind I have to vote Randy Orton and the amazing Legend Killer vs. Legend build towards WrestleMania. I still feel this is when the streak was at the most in danger of being beat and the match itself came off really fantastic, especially when Orton countered into that RKO. Followed next by Taker vs. HBK II, Streak vs. Career. Their first encounter was I felt a tad better as far as the match goes, but what sold this rematch for me was the drama leading up to the event. How HBK became obsessed with defeating the streak that he was willing to throw his friendship with HHH by costing them the tag team titles and more importantly his career away just for that opportunity again to take on The Phenom. It was the drama that helped elevate it even more in my view to put it a step above their first match.

But from what we've seen, who knows what 2014 will bring as what could possibly be the definitive Undertaker WrestleMania match and opponent, thus I included it.
Couln't agree more on that point.

·
wrap
9,027 Posts
Shawn. Their matches were :mark:, as well as the storylines and match promos.

Honorable mentions go to Punk, Orton, Kane, and Edge, for me.

·
Registered
368 Posts
HBK. Not only for match quality (back to back classics), but the drama and the long term rivalry dating back to 1997.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
OP, why would you put Triple H in 2 different choices?? And Kane as well I think you did. Anyways:

1. Triple H
2. Shawn Michaels
3. Kane

People here hate Triple H, but he's the obvious answer. Taker stood tall after beating each one of his opponents. At WrestleMania 27, he left in a stretcher, and at WrestleMania 28, his back was swollen up and he could barely walk.

Shawn Michaels had the best match of all time with Taker at WrestleMania 25, but he did not come closer to beating Taker than Trips did, and is NOT Taker's best Wrestlemania opponent.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Kane WrestleMania 14

Loved the buildup. Loved the entrances. Loved the aura about their brotherhood. Loved how much of a monster Kane looked. If there is one match the Undertaker could have lost in his entire streak history, it could have been here.
Completely agree with this, the streak wasn't even a thought at the time and there was apparently a lot of talk about Kane winning.
HBK would be a close second

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Everyone knows its The Heartbreak Kid. That's why HBK is Mr. Wrestlemania.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I'm reluctant to say Shawn Michaels, Shawn is the reason for Undertaker's three best matches period. He doesn't get enough credit for that, instead it's generally all given to Taker. He's become so overrated because of his matches with Shawn that I'm almost inclined to start disliking Taker which is something I don't want. Ultimately I hope Taker's legacy sorts itself out before the end, but for the time being, his matches with Shawn have created a negative experience for me. That's the fault of the fans though, not Undertaker or Shawn.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Batista
he gave taker the best match he had at wrestlemania ever

·
Banned
2,280 Posts
I'm reluctant to say Shawn Michaels, Shawn is the reason for Undertaker's three best matches period. He doesn't get enough credit for that, instead it's generally all given to Taker. He's become so overrated because of his matches with Shawn that I'm almost inclined to start disliking Taker which is something I don't want. Ultimately I hope Taker's legacy sorts itself out before the end, but for the time being, his matches with Shawn have created a negative experience for me. That's the fault of the fans though, not Undertaker or Shawn.
I agree with every word you just said, especially the bolded.

·
ゴゴゴゴゴゴ&#
3,168 Posts
Shawn Michaels

Wrestlemania 25 and XXVI are probably two of my favorite matches of all time. The emotion, the storytelling, the suspense, I can't help but choose HBK as Undertaker's greatest Wrestlemania opponent.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Reality wise, Shawn Michaels (no contest, Mr. Wrestlemania vs The Streak).

Kayfeb wise, Triple (three shots at The Streak, bro, not even Mankind had one shot).

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
1. Shawn Michaels

2. Kane
3. HHH

1 - 20 of 42 Posts