• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Mamba Mentality
25,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Undertaker vs. AJ Styles
The Undertaker will once again rise to step onto The Grandest Stage of Them All for a highly personal showdown against AJ Styles.

At WWE Super ShowDown, moments after The O.C. took out Rey Mysterio in an attempt to help Styles win Tuwaiq Mountain Trophy Gauntlet Match, The Deadman suddenly emerged and took down The Phenomenal One to seize the honor. Then at WWE Elimination Chamber, Undertaker again emerged to pave the way for Styles to be defeated by Aleister Black in a No Disqualification Match.

Back on Monday Night Raw, an irate Styles showed major disrespect for The Demon of Death Valley by vowing to take The Deadman’s soul. In a message to The Undertaker that got personal, Styles declared The Undertaker has desecrated a beautiful moment at WrestleMania 33 by continuing to compete for the past three years, implied he was at the beck and call of his “conniving” wife, Michelle McCool, and promised to put the final nail in The Deadman’s coffin by challenging him to a match at The Showcase of the Immortals.

During a contract signing on the March 16 edition of Raw, Styles appeared from the backstage area to mock his adversary and put pen to paper, but he refused to meet The Undertaker in the ring. Instead, he sent his O.C. mates to the squared circle to deliver the contract to The Deadman, who brutalized Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson before signing the dotted line. The following week on Raw, the brazen Styles once again mocked The Last Outlaw and challenged him to a "Boneyard Match."

Can Styles overcome The Undertaker at the event that made a Superstar into a Phenom? WrestleMania 36 is The Only WrestleMania Too Big for Just One Night! Don't miss an historic two-night presentation, streaming on WWE Network with former New England Patriot Rob Gronkowski hosting The Show of Shows at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT on Saturday, April 4, and Sunday, April 5.

·
The Babyface of WF
11,713 Posts
The build up has been good also as evident from Raw this week with Styles playing to the idea that Taker retiring for good is for the best because in a sense it's true.

Taker winning isn't doing any favors especially for AJ who's still right now a consistent full time performer it means much more if AJ goes over at WM and absolutely nothing if Taker does.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
The build up has been good also as evident from Raw this week with Styles playing to the idea that Taker retiring for good is for the best because in a sense it's true.

Taker winning isn't doing any favors especially for AJ who's still right now a consistent full time performer it means much more if AJ goes over at WM and absolutely nothing if Taker does.
Completely disagree. Undertaker retiring with another loss at Wrestlemania would tarnish his legacy, while, as a good heel, AJ Styles would bounce back from a defeat against the Undertaker in no time. I want Undertaker to win and retire. I know the customary would be going with a loss but it's still the Undertaker at Wrestlemania to me.

Anyway, this is the match I am looking forward to the most, without any doubt (well, Edge vs Orton is there too). Undertaker seems to be in the best shape any 55 years old who has gone through a myriad of serious injuries and surgeries over so many years could be. And while I am no AJ Styles fan, I am truly confident in his in ring abilities. The guy is, alongside Daniel Bryan, one of the few that in my mind can bring us an Undertaker match that feels totally right. Something I never understood is why the heck did they put Undertaker against the likes of Reigns or Golberg. Anyone could see that in these days Undertaker needs a lighter opponent that covers up his current limitations, no freaking superheavyweights. I'm sure Styles will do his part just fine.

·
The Babyface of WF
11,713 Posts
Completely disagree. Undertaker retiring with another loss at Wrestlemania would tarnish his legacy, while, as a good heel, AJ Styles would bounce back from a defeat against the Undertaker in no time. I want Undertaker to win and retire. I know the customary would be going with a loss but it's still the Undertaker at Wrestlemania to me.

Anyway, this is the match I am looking forward to the most, without any doubt (well, Edge vs Orton is there too). Undertaker seems to be in the best shape any 55 years old who has gone through a myriad of serious injuries and surgeries over so many years could be. And while I am no AJ Styles fan, I am truly confident in his in ring abilities. The guy is, alongside Daniel Bryan, one of the few that in my mind can bring us an Undertaker match that feels totally right. Something I never understood is why the heck did they put Undertaker against the likes of Reigns or Golberg. Anyone could see that in these days Undertaker needs a lighter opponent that covers up his current limitations, no freaking superheavyweights. I'm sure Styles will do his part just fine.
That's the thing Taker ain't retiring after WM36 anyway I strongly doubt it remember WM33 when Roman apparently retired him? AJ beating Taker means something the opposite does not unless he's truly hanging it up and it's doubtful at this point, AJ rebounding with a loss wouldn't be a bad idea if he wasn't a Midcard staple like he is right now and it's where he shouldn't be, If Drew goes over Brock at WM he'll need credible challengers not just Seth and a part time Lesnar, It's clear AJ is somebody who can provide a great foil to the WWE Champion post WM.

Taker clearly wants as much money as he can possibly get for security reasons especially with children.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Undertaker retiring with another loss at Wrestlemania would tarnish his legacy
its already tarnished. as far as Im concerned his matches with Brock in 2015 are his last good ones. since then he just looked bad in every match. the shock of him losing at WM is gone too. I dont remember people being shocked when he lost to Roman. they were pissed because its Roman but besides that it doesnt really matter anymore if he wins or looses at WM.

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
The build to this match has been as backwards and nonsensical as can be and with no fans that takes a lot from it to.

So at this point, have your Boneyard match, whatever that will be, and just go nuts with it.

·
Manic Pixie Dream Girl
3,627 Posts
I'm hoping its just their PG name for a Buried Alive Match. Hell tape the thing outside in a real cemetery! Just let AJ win with help & pretend Undertaker is dead til next time
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Buried Alive, Casket, or some combination at a spooky (and affordable) location. That could be fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Regardless of who wins it should be Undertaker's final match. Undertaker has been going strong for 30 years (he joined WWF back in 1990) and has done it all. But the last true good match he had was with Punk back at WM 29. Since 2014 hes been all broken and slowed down, its horrible to watch him at this stage and selfish to want him to continue just for our own entertainment. Lucky wrestling is scripted and punches/kicks rarely make actual contacts, bumps and slams are safely done. In real sport like MMA/Boxing a 50 + year old will never be allowed to go anywhere near the wrestling, Punk is a prrof what happens when a 40 + year old wrestler used to doing scripted fighting trys it (Batista's opponent was an out of shape veteran and Batista practiced martial arts). Back in 2008 with the exception of Flair imagining 50 + year olds in the top matches of your wresting card was unimaginable, by 2020 it has become a norm. Mitsuharu Misawa died by continuing to wrestle beyond 45, Undertaker has only been doing 1-3 match per year since 2011 so has stayed safe. But he did nearly get killed it the match full of botches with Goldberg in 2019. So yeah if anyone could have a good match with Taker at this stage is the AJ Styles who he is one of the rare talents who can have great matches with anyone he faces. (btw AJ Styles is definately my wrestler of the decade 2010s).

Regarding who wins, i doubt Styles will go over Undertaker, but I expect him to go toe to toe in 20 + minutes sold action putting a WrestleMania worthy match to see, hopefully Undertaker's best since the one with Punk. Undertaker vs Styles should be Taker's final match and it is the perfect opportunity for Undertaker to finally retire and enjoy his post wrestling life with family and other ventures.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Regardless of who wins it should be Undertaker's final match. Undertaker has been going strong for 30 years (he joined WWF back in 1990) and has done it all. But the last true good match he had was with Punk back at WM 29. Since 2014 hes been all broken and slowed down, its horrible to watch him at this stage and selfish to want him to continue just for our own entertainment. Lucky wrestling is scripted and punches/kicks rarely make actual contacts, bumps and slams are safely done. In real sport like MMA/Boxing a 50 + year old will never be allowed to go anywhere near the wrestling, Punk is a prrof what happens when a 40 + year old wrestler used to doing scripted fighting trys it (Batista's opponent was an out of shape veteran and Batista practiced martial arts). Back in 2008 with the exception of Flair imagining 50 + year olds in the top matches of your wresting card was unimaginable, by 2020 it has become a norm. Mitsuharu Misawa died by continuing to wrestle beyond 45, Undertaker has only been doing 1-3 match per year since 2011 so has stayed safe. But he did nearly get killed it the match full of botches with Goldberg in 2019. So yeah if anyone could have a good match with Taker at this stage is the AJ Styles who he is one of the rare talents who can have great matches with anyone he faces. (btw AJ Styles is definately my wrestler of the decade 2010s).

Regarding who wins, i doubt Styles will go over Undertaker, but I expect him to go toe to toe in 20 + minutes sold action putting a WrestleMania worthy match to see, hopefully Undertaker's best since the one with Punk. Undertaker vs Styles should be Taker's final match and it is the perfect opportunity for Undertaker to finally retire and enjoy his post wrestling life with family and other ventures.
No offense, but what proof exists that would indicate this could a match that is exciting and has 20+ minutes of solid action?

There’s a reason they’re doing a stupid ass boneyard match. It’s going to be in a graveyard or just full of gimmicks and smoke and mirrors. They’re doing this because they’re fully aware that Taker can no longer walk properly, let alone with a credible match. And AJ hasn’t shown himself to be very stellar of late either.

It’ll be 12-15 minutes of brawling, kicks, punches, and weaponry. Probably some interference from Gallows and Anderson, then Taker will overtake all 3 in typical WWE booking fashion.

·
Death Rides a Horse
798 Posts
I'm casting my vote for AJ Styles even though I know it's a long shot. As long as the Undertaker can walk I highly doubt the guy is ever going to truly retire. I hope Styles takes cue from Nakamura and comes out dressed appropriately.

·
Premium Member
11,982 Posts
It's WrestleMania. The Streak may be dead, but this is still Taker's event. He's going over.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Based on recent promo it appears BikerTaker coming back.... yay.

I'm hoping for a super cheesy 'graveyard' set with foam headstones and shit. Like early 90s WCW style.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts