Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
That's cool. There are definitely things I don't like about every product out there but they are outweighed by the things I enjoy so it's a win for me. Though, when the main person you watch wrestling with is a 9-year-old, you tend not to fret too much about things.
Haha fair enough. I will watch until it is more bad than good. That is why I quiet for a long time.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Do share your knowledge of two wrestlers calling a 20 minute match in the ring.

Not every wrestler is the undertaker. How good would a Mojo Rawley v Bobby Roode match be if called in the ring, lasting 20 minutes? Do you only want 100 wrestlers in the whole world wrestling? Your suggestion is the dumbest and most ignorant thing I've read, today. I've seen you post worst, faking knowledge like Kratos.
Not everyone should be wrestling 20 minute matches. Not Mojo, not Roode, not half of the AEW roster. A lot of wrestlers call spots before they happen as well. Indie wrestlers make it more difficult because they have to pre-plan ridiculous spots instead of making a wrestling match look slightly real

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Try entertaining an audience that doesn't look away from their phones or Social Media pages with armbars and suplexes. The ability to call a match on the fly in this era of the fans wanting bigger dives and bumps and fancier moves because they are literally the only things they look up to see is very hard. Not everyone works like Randy Orton or Bobby Roode. Many fans today call both of them either terrible wrestlers or boring. They don't want to see that style they want to see the Young Bucks do 200 superkicks or Ricochet jump do thirteen flips or they want to see striking exchanges so out of the realm of reality that it's farcical. Just because You or I are okay with seeing a match like Rude/Steamboat doesn't mean it would get over today. It's a 10 second clip/highlight package world and Windham/Flair for 60 minutes isn't necessarily what people are going be interested in. If you aren't already a wrestling fan you likely aren't going to sit through that kind of match.
Some fans. Roughly 900k of them, which according to WWE ratings isn't even half of the fan base.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Here's a radical idea, the in ring action is fine, in fact it's most likely never been better. Undertaker is a classic everything was better back in the "old days" and "old school" is automatically better then things in today's day and age.

I think the Undertaker and Sting should just have this feud and match and then fuck off for good. Yeah I said it.
Your whole "there I said it" whilst saying things people have said before gimmick is weird dude. You're not saying anything new

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Of course Undertaker is right. And crucially, he's not completely dismissing wrestlers flipping, he's just saying there's more to wrestling than that. I love some flippy high flying wrestlers, always have. Rob Van Dam, Jeff Hardy, Rey Mysterio... today there's Will Ospreay... and they're all great. But on the other side of the coin, you have guys like The Rock and Randy Orton, who are also awesome, and they can do so much with just their facial expressions, their body language... hell, Rock's finish was a fucking elbow drop and it got a bigger reaction than any amount of high flying moves.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
He's right, wrestling should be about larger than life characters, but smarks have ruined it by booing anything that isn't a gymnastics show.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Taker is spot on. It's just ridiculous. See who can flip flop around, being the best at gymnastics. Then someone dives to the outside and a "This is awesome" chant starts. It's not awesome, it's boring between boring characters with no story.

·
Premium Member
16,573 Posts
Not everyone should be wrestling 20 minute matches. Not Mojo, not Roode, not half of the AEW roster. A lot of wrestlers call spots before they happen as well. Indie wrestlers make it more difficult because they have to pre-plan ridiculous spots instead of making a wrestling match look slightly real
Exactly.

Making your company a sink or swim atmosphere, demanding everyone needs to wrestle 20 minutes, called in the ring, is idiotic. I agree with taker, but he never said calling a 20 minute match was the answer. Few people can call a GOOD 20 minute match in the ring. Wood doesn't know anything about wrestling if he thinks good, 20 minutes matches, are called in the ring by someone who's been wrestling 7-10 years.

It was never done in that way. You'd be left with about 25 wrestlers world wide who could do that.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
That's not the problem
The product sucks because there's no storyline, developed gimmicks and looks like not even the wrestler care anymore

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I think what Undertaker said is common sense, and I'm quite surprised people are arguing like that about it.

I mean, this is prowrestling. We all know it's more about telling stories than about plain athleticism-fake competition. We know that presence, standing out in gimmick/character/personality, mic skills, in ring psychology and storytelling are more important than being a good athlete. Even those who enjoy high flyers know that. That doesn't mean athleticism isn't valuable, but we're still talking about telling stories. So what's the big fuss?

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
1,915 Posts
Not really. Omega, Cesaro, Okada, Ibushi are all wrestlers who can wipe the floor with the Undertaker in the in ring or ring psychology department.
Undertaker has put more asses in seats and drawn more dollars than all 4 of those guys combined three times over.

If those are your examples of ring psychology workers, you clearly don’t know the difference between ring psychology and knowing how to do a lot of moves.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
He's right, wrestling should be about larger than life characters, but smarks have ruined it by booing anything that isn't a gymnastics show.
You had 40,000 people who were entranced by Lesnars performance at the rumble just gone.

Pretty much everyone here (and everyone here is a smark) was singing the praises of Braun Strowman and wanted him world champion during that run in 2017.

The vocal 'smarks' loved The Fiend and essentially put title on him when Vince wanted Rollins.

Cody and Dustin is most well received match so far by AEW fans.

I personally want to be entertained. I don't care if thats Ospreay and Ricochet doing their thing or Brock and Goldberg at Wrestlemania 33 or Bryan and Cena at Summerslam 13 or Cena and Umaga at Rumble 2007 or Rock vs Hogan at Mania 18 or Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks or Lou Thesz vs Buddy Rodgers. They were all completely different matches but hugely entertaining in their own way.

·
The EST of NXT
28,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Here's a prime example of Undertaker telling a fantastic story while doing more with less:

He didn't need to jump off that ladder once to make Jeff Hardy look like a million bucks. The goal was to show he's a spunky underdog that won't roll over and die for the far superior champion. Jeff didn't even have to do as much as he usually does to get that message across. This was the #1 spot monkey in WWE history at the time. Nowadays, there would be a minimum of 5 ladder falls and table collisions and the audience would be completely desensitized to what was once a sign of finality.

·
Registered
19,964 Posts
I think the real issue is due to the wrestling fad being over the narrow mindedness of what hardcore fans want has gotten too loud of a voice. The truth of the matter is casual fans can and will enjoy it all when it's entertaining.

I remember first getting in to wrestling. I could like the larger than life personalities like Rock, Jericho, and Steiner, the giants like Kane and Nash, technical guys like Benoit, hardcore guys like Crowbar and Crash, brawlers like HHH, and high fliers like Rey and Jeff.

All of them worked for different reasons and they were fun to watch because the stories made them fun to watch. My brain wasn't thinking about "OMG it doesn't make sense Jeff Hardy is trying to do another swanton off the ladder to win the match" or " how did Undertaker recover from a sledgehammer shot to the head to beat HHH". Those were just cool moments in fun matches that had great stories.

A lot of these issues are only issues because of our overly critical hardcore fan brains lol. Like I'd agree that things like trying to retry a botched move or standing around waiting for a dive are flawed. But that's not going to stop folk from watching any more than the flawed logic of "why the fuck doesn't Vince just fire Austin if he hates him so much" or "why isn't HHH in jail for organizing a hit".

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Undertaker has put more asses in seats and drawn more dollars than all 4 of those guys combined three times over.

If those are your examples of ring psychology workers, you clearly don’t know the difference between ring psychology and knowing how to do a lot of moves.
I will never deny that Undertaker was a draw both domestically and internationally. But in ring work and drawing ability are 2 different things. Hogan ain't no Bret Hart in the in ring department but he's the biggest draw in the history of the wrestling business.

Undertaker's in ring psychology is nothing to write home about. It has a lot of holes in it. For example, why would a supposed 6'10" wrestler try to do a plancha on a guy literally half his size or less? Why would a large heavyweight try to do a jumping clothesline where he almost sommersaults forward on opponents half his size? He takes a bigger bump than the guy he's giving the move to, and it doesn't make much sense.

We got people like Omega, Okada and Ibushi tell a more compelling story in the ring far better than Undertaker who has been in the business for twice or thrice as long as they have while not being backed up a wrestling conglomerate.

81 - 100 of 143 Posts