Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Banned
6,268 Posts
I think there should be an industry-wide crackdown on matches being planned out. Bookers should call for guys to go out there and actually call it in the ring. If you can’t do 20 on the fly, you shouldn’t get to do 20 preplanned.

Planning out matches should be reserved for people in the top spots or for special occasions. This would put emphasis on these matches and this talent, and make everything feel a lot more organic.

·
Premium Member
16,620 Posts
I think there should be an industry-wide crackdown on matches being planned out. Bookers should call for guys to go out there and actually call it in the ring. If you can’t do 20 on the fly, you shouldn’t get to do 20 preplanned.

Planning out matches should be reserved for people in the top spots or for special occasions. This would put emphasis on these matches and this talent, and make everything feel a lot more organic.
I have little idea how a match is planned, but calling 20 minutes would be terrible. Maybe if it were two 20 year vets who knew each other well. But, what your suggesting would be a huge drop in quality.

But, because WWE wrestlers do work many house shows with the same people, they're able to call spots on the fly. But again, these people are working multiple days a week with the same people.

Bookers should be playing to their wrestlers' strengths and working on their weaknesses away from paying customers. Otherwise, they're a dumb Booker.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Waiting for Meltzer to say the flipping match layout just goes over Undertaker's head. It would be nice if he was around enough to coach some of the WWE flipping guys like Ricochet.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
He can turn up in the back, tape his fists and threaten anyone who does more than one flip.

Although his body may shatter with any sort of physicality.

·
Banned
6,268 Posts
I have little idea how a match is planned, but calling 20 minutes would be terrible. Maybe if it were two 20 year vets who knew each other well. But, what your suggesting would be a huge drop in quality.

But, because WWE wrestlers do work many house shows with the same people, they're able to call spots on the fly. But again, these people are working multiple days a week with the same people.

Bookers should be playing to their wrestlers' strengths and working on their weaknesses away from paying customers. Otherwise, they're a dumb Booker.
Yes, it is very evident that you have little idea of how a match is planned.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
The irony of course is that back-flips aren't that unusual in amateur wrestling. What's not likely to be seen is chokeslams, tombstones, old school or throwing someone off a 15 foot cage through an announcement table

It's also not likely to see competitors grab microphones before the bout to say how much they're going to kick their opponent's ass. Or sell merch.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
The irony of course is that back-flips aren't that unusual in amateur wrestling. What's not likely to be seen is chokeslams, tombstones, old school or throwing someone off a 15 foot cage through an announcement table

How many amateur wrestling shows are there on national TV? I will say though, those types of flips are one thing. It is the non-stop and choreographed stuff that is annoying. Slow down and tell a story.

·
Premium Member
16,620 Posts
Yes, it is very evident that you have little idea of how a match is planned.
Do share your knowledge of two wrestlers calling a 20 minute match in the ring.

Not every wrestler is the undertaker. How good would a Mojo Rawley v Bobby Roode match be if called in the ring, lasting 20 minutes? Do you only want 100 wrestlers in the whole world wrestling? Your suggestion is the dumbest and most ignorant thing I've read, today. I've seen you post worst, faking knowledge like Kratos.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts

There are several problems with that theory in this day and age.

1 The wrestlers probably can't read a crowd well enough to make it decent

2 Guys don't necessarily know each other well enough to do it

3) The crowds don't give the wrestlers shit to work with in terms of getting a match over.

4) A lot of the wrestler's stuff is too convoluted and relies far too heavily on noticeable cooperation to ever look organic

5) The more complex the stuff the less safe it is for people to do without preparation.

Anyone who thinks that calling a match on the fly is good for anybody is either an idiot or so stuck in 1986(where a Superplex was a HIGHSPOT or a finish) that they are blind to the current state of the industry. Spots are so contrived, convoluted, and choreographed that they can't be done on the fly there is too much risk involved. The absolute MOST improvisation that you can hope or should even ask for is the ability to call an OCCASIONAL audible, you know like being smart enough to make it LOOK like you aren't working off a fucking checklist. You can work off a checklist just make it look like you aren't.

·
Banned
6,268 Posts
Do share your knowledge of two wrestlers calling a 20 minute match in the ring.

Not every wrestler is the undertaker. How good would a Mojo Rawley v Bobby Roode match be if called in the ring, lasting 20 minutes? Do you only want 100 wrestlers in the whole world wrestling? Your suggestion is the dumbest and most ignorant thing I've read, today. I've seen you post worst, faking knowledge like Kratos.
It's how it used to be done, dude. Babyfaces and heels wouldn't talk to each other unless it was in the ring. You also clearly missed the part where I said that you need to be able to call that sort of thing to be featured. If Mojo Rawley isn't good enough to call a 20-minute match, then he shouldn't be having 20-minute matches. Bobby Roode would be fine, by the way.

And yeah, less wrestlers would be better. You could probably scrap everyone in the Andre Battle Royal every year. If each promotion cut their rosters in half and fired the bottom halves, then things would probably get a lot, lot better.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts