Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reliving The Undertaker's debut at SS and noticed that he somehow stands out even in his first real appearance. (The subsequent match at Superstars is often mistaken as his debut)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x69xiq_the-undertaker-makes-his-debut-surv_sport

Do you agree that he had that 'look in his eyes' right from the first day and that there was something special about this man? I think people who are destined for big things often have that eerie aura about them and Taker did have it and he is now, arguably one of the greatest.

Also notice how strongly Taker was booked so strongly right from the beginning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwUrtX8JnpI

Vince appears to have presaged that Mark Calaway was born to fulfill the role of this larger-than-life superstar that Vince had personally envisioned, the Phenom from Death Valley?

Mind = Blown whenever I see The Undertaker's debut at Survivor Series. I think he looked more menacing with flaming red hair too.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yeah Taker never needed any explanation why he is in the Main Event, he is The Undertaker so fuck off^^. But seriously he is a legend. And it is sad that he spent his first 5 Years Fighting Giants and Monster and Freaks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Part of what makes Taker special is that he is the only contemporary professional wrestler to have been in the business as long as he has while never breaking his kayfabe or betraying his fanbase. He's one of the few guys everyone (even non-wrestling fans) can say they appreciate when wrestling comes up in conversation. Is anyone else as accomplished and storied as he is?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There are a Few but not that many. Andre, Hogan, Austin and a few others.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No.

His character was pretty cool, but I honestly don't believe anyone who would say they expected that Undertaker to become the kind of legend he is today.
Well anyone watching the show in 1990 would probably not have divined that, but for his fans watching in retrospect today, I think it does seem special and uplifting in a weird way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Part of what makes Taker special is that he is the only contemporary professional wrestler to have been in the business as long as he has while never breaking his kayfabe or betraying his fanbase. He's one of the few guys everyone (even non-wrestling fans) can say they appreciate when wrestling comes up in conversation. Is anyone else as accomplished and storied as he is?
Definitely.. multiple times this has came up.
Q."Whats your favourite wrestler."
(NonwrestlingFan)A: "either" 1) Rock 2) Austin 3) Undertaker or 4) Yawn Cena.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Taker is so cool, and those tombstones look devestating!

Also, at what point did it become "taking it old school" and what is it at this point, just "walking the top rope"?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I can't remember what Wrestler did it, but it was someone from the Old Shool, i think they mention it in Legends of Wrestling Disscussion Table. Don't know since when he is doing it, but i think he does it now for a long time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Taker is so cool, and those tombstones look devestating!
THIS

I wince every time I see those heads bounce on the mat. I'm surprised it took them this long to actually ban piledrivers / enforce zero contact rules.

The only old-school (full-contact) Tombstone in recent times was at Summerslam when Kane delivered a sickening tombstone to Rey Mysterio.

It almost felt like a botch, it was that sickening to watch.

(Skip to 02:56 for the fun part)

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
First time I remember the rope walk being referred to as "old school" was during the biker gimmick.

·
Registered
487 Posts
They unleashed The Undertaker and the Gobbledly Gooker at the very same event. Memories for a lifetime.
Its almost like that story of Woodstock, where they say there was one birth and one death at that festival.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts