Wrestling Forum banner

The Undercard this year has HUGE potential.

2510 Views 31 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  JoseBxNYC
A Morrison led and MITB win,

Sheamus/Bryan for the US Championship

Cody/Rey (hopefully, please)

Orton/Punk

All these have the potential to deliver Match of the Night stuff, I suspect we're going to see a lot of Wrestlemania 21 comparisons when this year's Mania is all said and done. I expect pretty much everything else besides the 2 title matches to meet and exceed expectations (if they go these routes) and the title matches to feel more transitional. I don't doubt the WWE, they will probably be able to get the most out of both world title feuds, but I feel the under-card this year in particular has big potential. Last year's was very good, but there were simply too many matches and not enough time to distribute between them. This year I feel like every match can be properly given enough time and can each deliver.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,308 Posts
Yeah the undercard looks good but the thing thats bothering me for this year is the title matches - Miz/Cena Don't want to see it all. - ADR/Edge Doesn't feel like something that you want to watch, the only thing that make me want to watch the match is ADR winning his first title.

· Registered
1,931 Posts
The undercard is looking pretty damn good if it turns out that way. If Christian is added to thw WHC match, then we have a much more interesting, and better main event title match...

· Registered
2,508 Posts
Like I wrote in the thread I just made in the General WWE section, Wrestlemania is starting to look a lot better. The undercard is going to sell the ppv more than the main events this year I think. I wish WWE would realize that having a good midcard is very vital. I would rather see a ppv with all around good matches, than a PPV with maybe 1 amazing match and the rest are horrible.

· Registered
896 Posts
Yep i agree, If they add Christian to the WHC match then this Mania is shaping up well.

I dont think it has any great Marquee matchup as a selling point (Taker v HHH has been done before and the result is not in doubt) but the card as a whole has some great matchups. Provided they dont waste too much time with Cole v Lawler and a womens abortion match then all these matchups should get enough time to potentially steal the show.

I can see one match after the other pulling out all the stops to try and get MOTN, that can only be a good thing for everyone watching.

· Registered
6,114 Posts
Yep. Undercard to me is what will make Wrestlemania.

Rey Mysterio vs 'Dashing' Cody Rhodes - Will be a very good match. Would work better with a stip. Mask vs Mask, or more hopefully I.C title vs Mask. That way Cody can get his big Wrestlemania moment, winning the IC title on the biggest stage of them all.

CM Punk vs Randy Orton - My 2 favourite wrestlers feuding. Happy Days! But again, would work better with stip. Orton wins and Nexus disbands would be good. I have no doubt Orton is winning this match which should work fine tbh. I honestly think Nexus is holding back Punk right now.

Lawler vs Cole - Will be entertaining to see Jerry have his first match at 'mania. Screwjob of the night would be if Cole actually wins though.

US Title Match: Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus - The Celtic King has fallen from grace, out of a big feud into a title match which could end up an amazing match and what matches should be at times. A pure wrestling match. Could be worse right?

Wade Barrett and Ezekiel Jackson vs Big Show and Diesel - Good grudge match. Helps build up Barrett and Jackson against the 2 legends so it's all good.

Money in the Bank should have all the other talented guys that WWE like in a match and there'll be a divas match and a tag match (dark match I think).

· Registered
1,059 Posts
but will wwe book the undercard thats the question

Orton vs punk is going onwhere I can promise you that, RAW is going to be building up, HHH/Taker, Cena/Miz/Rock, DelRio seems to appear on ever raw so Edge/Delrio, then theres the women's match and even Jerry vs Micheal had more time to spice up there feud last night than the meesly time givin to punk/orton.

Byran vs Sheamus- since when does wwe care for the US title

rey vs cody might can get some build up cause they aren't on raw,

· Banned
2,581 Posts
The undercard looks great but I'm not sure the matches will live up to their potential with all the focus on the big three at the end. If they are given the time they deserve both to build up and on the night, then it could be epic.

WM 21 is a good comparison although as great as some of those match-ups are there's nothing on show at the level of Michaels-Angle.

· Registered
2,476 Posts
can anyone tell me why cody rhodes is going to be on my tv screen on the grandest stage of them all? i just don't see what all this hype for him is about.

· Registered
11 Posts
can anyone tell me why cody rhodes is going to be on my tv screen on the grandest stage of them all? i just don't see what all this hype for him is about.
I like him. His gimmick is getting a little annoying, but he's playing it well. The kid has the look, the mic and wrestling skills. If he's pushed the right way, he can become something really big in the WWE.

I just wouldn't take his current character seriously as WWE Champion, but then again it all comes down to how he's booked.

· The Winds of Change
5,604 Posts
I think Punk/Orton has potential to steal the show. Both men have the ability to put on great matches and have a very personal feud going on that has ( :shocked: ) history. I think they will give it a good amount of time too. They are really booking Punk strongly because I think Vince sees a lot of promise in him as main eventer, as he is incredible on the mic and can more than hold his own in the ring.

3-0 over Cena, eliminating Orton from the Chamber and beating Morrison clean last night - he's been on a roll. He is being booked cleanly, and more importantly strongly - as a heel which is something we haven't seen in a while. Not to mention Orton will make sure they get a lot of time for the match I'm sure.

Also, I think without the WWE Title in the picture, Punk's chances of going over increase greatly. Orton really doesn't need the win over Punk, while a W at the big show over Orton would be a huge boost for Punk.

· Recognize
21,207 Posts
Orton/Punk should have a white hot feud going on which again should lead to a great match.

Cody/Rey will provide the flash.

Seamus/Bryan can provide the actual 'wrestling' type match.

HHH/Taker can provide the epic.

While it isn't exactly stellar outside HHH/Taker and Orton/Punk, I still think it has the potential to be pretty darn good.

· Registered
73 Posts
I think Punk/Orton has potential to steal the show. Both men have the ability to put on great matches and have a very personal feud going on that has ( :shocked: ) history. I think they will give it a good amount of time too. They are really booking Punk strongly because I think Vince sees a lot of promise in him as main eventer, as he is incredible on the mic and can more than hold his own in the ring.

3-0 over Cena, eliminating Orton from the Chamber and beating Morrison clean last night - he's been on a roll. He is being booked cleanly, and more importantly strongly - as a heel which is something we haven't seen in a while. Not to mention Orton will make sure they get a lot of time for the match I'm sure.

Also, I think without the WWE Title in the picture, Punk's chances of going over increase greatly. Orton really doesn't need the win over Punk, while a W at the big show over Orton would be a huge boost for Punk.
I agree. I think WWE will have a strong core set of matches for the event but Punk/Orton has the potential to slam it out of the park. I think the crowd should be pretty loud for it because the Georgia Dome gets damn loud during Falcons games (which I understand is different because it's an NFL game but still).

I am hoping that Punk/Orton goes on around match 4 or so when the crowd is really hyped up. Having a super interactive crowd for Punk/Orton would be awesome. I want to hear a "LET'S GO ORTON/CM PUNK" chant go back and forth while they are trading punches. Epic.

· Recognize
21,207 Posts
I agree, I think it will have a strong core set of matches for the event. I think the crowd should be pretty loud for it because the Georgia Dome gets damn loud during Falcons games (which I understand is different because it's an NFL game but still).

I am hoping that Punk/Orton goes on around match 4 or so when the crowd is really hyped up. Having a super interactive crowd for Punk/Orton would be awesome. I want to hear a "LET'S GO ORTON/CM PUNK" chant go back and forth while they are trading punches. Epic.
I agree that it should go early too. The crowd should be pumped. I can't wait to be in the middle of it all!!

· Leader of #TeamBAE
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to add, after reading the SD Spoilers* (turn away if you don't want to read further) Cody/Rey looks like the 2nd biggest match coming from the blue brand, with Cody showing a sick side to him and Dusty with a heel turn on Rey. They're obviously investing a TON in this match, I can totally see them giving Cody the IC Championship and having him go over Rey.

Orton/Punk will be a guaranteed **** match IMO, the history, the build up and the styles BOTH gimmick wise and in ring wise seem to just match up so well. I really wish this was the WWE Championship, oh well...

I am one of the only people who doesn't think DB is a step down for Sheamus. The WWE are promoting a ton of guys atm, and Triple H will most likely be retired at WM, so Sheamus still figures to play a vital role on RAW in the near future. Sheamus/Bryan style wise also work really well together.

I'm just hoping they don't screw up Morrison. He is my current favorite at the moment and I want to see him deliver on the biggest show, because he has had his spots thrown away and taken away from him in the past. He has been built up so well over the last 6 months, I don't want the E to screw it up and give him a shit match and halt his momentum. I also would hope they continue to make him look strong after Mania and continue to give him a SLOW build before winning the big one like all the greats of the past.

We all know the title matches feel lackluster, but they'll probably deliver solid matches, it IS Wrestlemania, however I feel like the company is going to go with 8/9 matches this year instead of last year's bigger card, and 2 of those 8/9 matches include Cole/Lawler and a divas match which should take no more than 20 minutes of the 4 hours, so we get 3.5 hours of the other stuff. I hope everything continues to fall in place the way it is right now.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm with OP on this one. Has potential to be great. I also think that Kofi Kingston vs Jack Swagger for the IC title is another potential match that could steal the show.

It really annoys me when some people complain this WrestleMania will be a dud because we're not seeing Sting vs Taker or Rock vs Cena, matches that would be epic in build up, drawing power and significance, but most likely would be poor in-ring matches. When we may see one of the best WrestleManias (in terms of match quality) in the few years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.