Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years, there has been many top faces and top heels. But as in movies, there must be a supporting actor to the top guy, same in wrestling. So I will he give my view on the top faces, heels, and which wrestler who got the second spot. Feel free to discuss.

1984 The start of Hulkamania in WWF (HUlkamania had originally started back in AWA), Hogan was clearly the main face of the company taking Backlunds role. The main heel was Roddy Piper, despite Hogan wrestlign numerous stars across the country. Andre was the second face while Slaughter had the third spot. Second top heel was ?

1985 Hogan was the top face, while, Andre got a solid second spot, as for main vilian/heel, that spot belonged to Piper while a heel studd had a solid second heel spot.

1986 Hogan was still the top face. Piper turned from second heel, to second face. Andre was third (But could be argued that he had the third spot) While Paul Orndorff took the top heel spot later in the year from King Kong Bundy who had it up till WM 2. Savage as IC Champion wsa the second heel

1987 Hogan was at his peak and the face of WWE, while Piper still had the second spot until he left. Savage was then built for the second spot. The top heel was Andre, while the second heel was Savage until he turned face and became the second top heel, just before Orndorff.

1988 Despite Savage being the champion, focus was still on Hogan and he was the main draw while Savage had the second spot. DiBiase was easliy the top heel while Andre got the second place.

1989 Hogan was clearly the top face, while Savage, before turning to the top heel of the company was the second face. Later in the year Warrior became the second face of the company closing in on Hogan. The second top spot for heel goes to Rude

1990 The top face spot went from Hogan to Warrior and Hogan stayed on the second spot due to vicne wanting to try new waters. As for top heels, Earthquake was the top heel while Rude was second top heel

1991 Hogan the main face for the most of the year while Warrior had gone back to the second spot until he disapeared/was fired which was filled by Savage - Sgt Slaughter was the top heel for the majority of the year, while the second spot went to Savage.

1992 Was a strange year due to the steroid scandal and people starting to turn on Hogan so McMahon tried to bring in the Warrior as top face when Hogan dsiapered, while Bret played the third face of the company working his way up. As for heel, it can be argued that up to Wrestlemania Sid was the top heel since he mainevented with Hogan and was supposed to go feud with Warrior. But after WM Flair was the biggest heel of the company

1993 First part of the year Bret was the top face but was pushed aside by Luger and his all American gimmick. The top heel was without a doubt Yokozuna. Hogan and undertaker were top draws but considered as special attractions..

1994 During this year it was clearly the year of Bret as the top face. Undertaker was playing the second fiddle due to lack of other stars. Top heel was Yokozuna the first quarter, while Owen was the top heel along with Michaels

1995 The year of the Diesel as top face. Bret played the second fiddle to Big Daddy Cool for most of the year, while more focus was put on HBK at the end of the year as top face. Top heel in 1995 was???

1996 Vince tried to push Shawn as the top face, Bret left and was replaced shortly by Warrior. When Warrior got sacked, Ahmed Johnson took his spot shortly. Undertaker is a honorable mention working solid matches with MAnkind who was the second top heel behind Vader. Sid entered the company, but he was jsut thrown in due to lack of others and replacing Warrior.

1997 HBK was the main face for the first part while Undertaker are to be considred the second face. Austin was slwoly built for the top face position and by december he was clearly the man. aS for top heels. IMO HBK surpasses Bret due to being edgier. But Bret was a good solid heel

1998 As in 1985 with Hogan, in 1998 there is no debate that Austin was the top face of WWE while Vince McMahon stayed the top heel. The Rock was at the end of the year the secodn face until he turned to the second heel. Earlier in the year Undertaker had the second top face spot while Kane had the second top heel spot.

1999 Austin was till clearly the top face, while The Rock still had the second top spot behind McMahon. The Rock tunred and became the top face when Austin disapered. Triple H took the top heel spot around Summer Slam. Mankind took the second top face spot.

2000 The Rock was the face of the company here due to austin being injured. Triple H was the top heel. Undertaker had the second top face spot.

2001 Austin reclaimed his throne as the face of the company until turning while The Rock became the top face in the process afte have had the second spot as face. Austin went from top face to top heel at WM X7. Angle was pushed as the second face.

2002 Triple H was built as the top face, but bombed. This year had many great stars like Austin, The Rock, Hogan, Angle (so it could be argued to eternity who had the second spot) but). Brock was slowly built as the top heel from mid year, by winning King Of the Ring and then dethroning The Rock for the WWE title. Earlier in the year Chris Jericho had the top heel spot but bombed as well.

Anyone care to see later or earlier years?

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
After 2002, it would be a bit hard to define top face and top heel due to the brand extension.

2003: On Smackdown, Brock and Angle were top face and heel, respectively. In the summer, they reversed roles. Others like Undertaker and Benoit were support acts in the face roles while Big Show was the biggest (no pun intended) heel below Angle/Brock. On Raw, Triple H was the undisputed top heel while top face was never really clear, although HBK and Goldberg were both booked around the top. Worth noting that tweener Kane was prominent in the summer.

2004: On Smackdown, Angle was top heel and the role was later given to JBL. Top face was definitely Eddie and to a lesser extent, Undertaker. On Raw, Benoit and HBK were top faces with Evolution as top heels. Orton joined the top faces after SummerSlam while Jericho was also a supporting act below them at all times.

2005: Raw had Triple H as top heel in the first half then Angle in the second half. Top face was Batista first and Cena post-draft. For Smackdown, JBL was top heel then Orton took the role for the rest of the year. Top face was Cena first then Batista took his place post-draft.

2006: For Smackdown, it started with Orton as top heel but in the summer, King Booker became that guy. Top face was not quite clear with Batista, Angle, Rey and Taker all having that role to an extent. On Raw, Cena was easily top face followed by DX with Edge being #1 heel. (later Orton joined him for Rated RKO)

2007: Smackdown's top face was between Batista and Taker while Edge became top heel there. Cena obviously #1 on Raw with Orton being top heel.

·
Banned
586 Posts
This topic is not going to end well.

·
Banned
586 Posts
By the way agree with opening post but I'm sure rock marks have 'facts' to disapprove from 1999 onwards

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
1997 - Top face was obviously.....THE UNDERTAKER, he was the epitome of a top face. Getting cheered by everybody and being the all good and holyer than thou attitude. Now don't get me wrong, Austin was the most popular. But he was also doing some heelish bully tactics to almost everybody at the end of the year.

Tons of top heels this year. Nation of Domination, Hart Foundation, DX, were all heels. Top two heels of the company were definitely Bret Hart, and Shawn Michaels.

1998 - Top face was Austin

Top heel was Shawn Michaels up until WrestleMania. After WrestleMania it became Vince McMahon and Mick Foley. Near Summerslam it was just Vince McMahon and slightly the Brothers of Destruction, just slightly. After Survivor Series it was the entire Corporation. With The Rock and Vince McMahon.

1999 - Top face was Austin up until his injury. Then The Rock took over.

Top heels were the Rock and Undertaker. After Rock turned face, Triple H became a top heel. Vince McMahon was a heel as well throughout the year.

2000 - Top face was The Rock

Top heel was Triple H and the McMahon-Helmsley faction.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
I'd argue that Rock was the top face in 2002, he was build as the poster boy of the company ever since his return in July 2001 and had the best booking up to his departure, especially when you consider how much of a mainstream crossover star he was in 02, possibly the biggest crossover star in the company's history or since Hogan

his track record in 02 : Defeated Hogan at Mania, won the undisputed championship, lost to Lesnar in a "passing the torch" manner, so I'd say he was the star of that year

now that doesn't demote Triple H's status that year however, he was the "keyfabe" main eventer at WM, while Rock/Hogan was the real main event of that PPV

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No way Shawn was the top heel over Bret in 97.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Well Shawn was the biggest heel in terms of booking once he turned heel after Summer Slam. While Bret was the Champion, Shawn still wrestled the main events at the PPV's while Bret was stuck in Tag team matches and mid card matches. Furthermore Vince chose to stay with HBK why he allowed Bret to renegotiate with WCW and ultimately left WWE, when McMahon could have decided to go with Bret instead. So with this in mind, Shawn was the top heel of the company from around September.

As for Jake-Savage snake bite angel in 1991, sorry forgot that, great Angle, but I feel that Flair and Undertaker was pushed more as heel... not taking away anything from Mr Snake

·
Registered
892 Posts
Over the years, there has been many top faces and top heels. But as in movies, there must be a supporting actor to the top guy, same in wrestling. So I will he give my view on the top faces, heels, and which wrestler who got the second spot. Feel free to discuss.

1993 First part of the year Bret was the top face but was pushed aside by Luger and his all American gimmick. The top heel was without a doubt Yokozuna. Hogan and undertaker were top draws but considered as special attractions..
Vince made the right decision to put Luger as Top Face IMO, better worker, better attitude (of course) and has the look, maybe a druggie but a druggie is better than a Whiner.

1994 During this year it was clearly the year of Bret as the top face. Undertaker was playing the second fiddle due to lack of other stars. Top heel was Yokozuna the first quarter, while Owen was the top heel along with Michaels
Hah the only reason Bret was top face was because he whined his arse much harder than he has been claimed to work hard for it.. he even politicked, don't believe me, why was owen in a top program.. family bias. Luger and Taker were still more over.

1995 The year of the Diesel as top face. Bret played the second fiddle to Big Daddy Cool for most of the year, while more focus was put on HBK at the end of the year as top face. Top heel in 1995 was???
Thank goodness we got the belt into someone who actually looked the part and the predecessor was rightfully placed in midcard feuds which he still refused to put any of those (hakushi and Pierre) over, shawn was the secondary top face without a doubt

1996 Vince tried to push Shawn as the top face, Bret left and was replaced shortly by Warrior. When Warrior got sacked, Ahmed Johnson took his spot shortly. Undertaker is a honorable mention working solid matches with MAnkind who was the second top heel behind Vader. Sid entered the company, but he was jsut thrown in due to lack of others and replacing Warrior.
spot on HBK is the man, although a nightmare backstage nearly causing suicides, ratting out co-druggies and incriminating marital affairs is still much more tolerable than a typical whiner who took his ball and went home. and when said person came back still refused to put austin over.

1997 HBK was the main face for the first part while Undertaker are to be considred the second face. Austin was slwoly built for the top face position and by december he was clearly the man. aS for top heels. IMO HBK surpasses Bret due to being edgier. But Bret was a good solid heel
Bret was a pathetic heel, stuttering and sloppy, what he got was X-Pac Heat and people just want him off theor TV whereas HBK had colossal heat.

i agree with the rest except for these minor exceptions

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Bret Hart himself disagrees with you. Watch the WWE compilation the Bret Hart Story. He cites the fact that his career was going nowhere because Vince was giving Shawn all his heat as top heel.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
He over took him in August/Spetember. Bret was feuding with The Patriot and Vader whilst Shawn was main eventing with Taker.

Anyway, I stopped watching for a bit in 03, bit came back in around September time and I remember it being...

Top Faces
Goldberg (Raw)
HBK (Raw)
Angle (SD)
Benoit (SD)
Taker (SD)

Top Heels
HHH (Raw)
Brock (SD)
Kane (Raw)

I may be forgetting some of the heels on top in that period though.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Thank goodness we got the belt into someone who actually looked the part and the predecessor was rightfully placed in midcard feuds which he still refused to put any of those (hakushi and Pierre) over, shawn was the secondary top face without a doubt
You mean Vinnie Vegas? Remember quickly if you will VMac and crew pretty much created these personae, actually to such a degree that they couldn't even take their "names" with them if they left.

spot on HBK is the man, although a nightmare backstage nearly causing suicides, ratting out co-druggies and incriminating marital affairs is still much more tolerable than a typical whiner who took his ball and went home. and when said person came back still refused to put austin over.
Took his ball and went home are you %&*$ing serious? I guess you've forgotten about the time HBK "lost his smile"

The Kliq and most of it's members did more maneuvering and whining than Hart ever did, and I'm saying this as an HBK mark. Speaking of not putting people over, Nash wouldn't even poorly job to Hogan. Nash (and the Kliqs) influence on booking did more to kill the WCW than anything. You call Hart a prima donna? I love me some HBK and the Kliq but they got way more tiaras in their closets than Bret ever owned.

Bret was a pathetic heel, stuttering and sloppy, what he got was X-Pac Heat and people just want him off theor TV whereas HBK had colossal heat.

i agree with the rest except for these minor exceptions
Around that time people really hated Hart, literally talked about beating him to death outside arenas.

Before that mess Bret carried the company through a pretty good vacuum honestly. Afterward he wasn't a good heel because the things that defined heels and faces became blurred right around that time. (NWO/DX/SCSA all heels but all totally over) A lot of Bret's behavior in front of the camera was just that, all shoot. He was a "good guy" and people really didn't care if you were a "good guy" anymore. They still loved the guy in Canada. Bret really deserved better than he got, his one mistake was disagreeing with VMac about dropping the belt in Montreal. If he would have done that one thing he could have kept one hell of an ugly blemish off his career.

All I gathered from your post was you really don't like Hart, and agreed with the OP otherwise. Was there something else I missed?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts