Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember that Hogan wasn't even finalized as the 3rd guy in the NWO til the day of BatB 1996, so who were they going to use if Hogan didn't come through with it? I think I've heard who it was, but I've forgotten. Imagine how different the angle would have been without Hogan. Sure it would have still worked because Hall and Nash were still great, but it would have never had the same impact.

So does anyone know who it was gonna be if it wasn't Hogan? I'm pretty sure it's been said somwhere before.

Who could have worked if it wasn't Hogan? Sting? Savage? Luger? Flair?

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I remember watching a Kevin Nash shoot interview on Youtube and he said that originally the plan was to have The Undertaker debut as the third man in The New World Order under a normal gimmick but he wouldn't make the jump to WCW so they had then planned for it to be Sting. Had it been Sting it would have the same impact because Sting was to WCW exactly what Hulk Hogan was to WWF which was the main marquee man and standard bearer for the company and a heel turn would have been HUGE.

Kevin Nash said that Hulk Hogan had noticed how much he was beginning to get booed because everyone had grown tired of his gimmick so before he had become basically what John Cena had become in 2006 which was the top face but booed out every arena he wrestled in he had gone to Eric Bischoff and asked to be the third man. It was a very smart bit of business by Hulk Hogan because he knew as a face his career was coming to an end fast but as a heel he would prolong his career as it had never been done before as a mainstream wrestler and he also knew that eventually he could turn face again and get another couple of years out of that.

Eric Bischoff then presented the idea to Hulk Hogan and Sting that they would tease the fan's with a Sting heel turn and him joining up with The New World Order so that Sting would be questioned by the fans and then have him return with a new dark avenger hero gimmick and have him not take sides with either WCW or NWO before coming out as WCW through and through and then having the build towards Sting/Hogan at Starrcade with Sting going over which both men had agreed to.

Obviously going into Starrcade in 1997 Hulk Hogan then changed his mind and pushed for the quick count finish and Bret Hart restarting the match thus making Sting's victory tainted and allowing Hulk Hogan to not look weak which was bollocks basically and Hulk Hogan at his egotistical and selfish worst and was more or less the beginning of the end for WCW as a company because the fan's had had enough. Storyline wise though it still ranks as the greatest of all time in my opinion and i honestly don't believe that Sting/Hogan can ever be bettered by anything especially in the current era.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard HBK was gonna be the third man too, but that was from someone in my 1st grade class.:hmm:

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
It was actually supposed to be HBK, and basically the whole "Kliq". Except HBK/HHH were kept in the WWE. From what I understand WCW was trying everything they could to get HBK, and they even tried to buy out his contract. Everyone is under the impression that the time spent on the shelf away from the WWE(f) was due to his back.

Not to say that his back wasn't in great shape, but lets be serious here folks. HBK felt as though he was being held captive by the WWF at that time. There was a ton of heat on members of the "Kliq", and thats why Waltman, Hall, and Nash left, it wasn't just about the money. HBK had no choice, but to stay because they had him under contract. The whole back "excuse" was the WWE's way of saying "Go ahead take a vacation, but you're not going to WCW".

Compare to it that of a professional sports star "holding out". Along the way HBK found "Christ", and the rest is his story to make up. Being the new christian man HBK couldn't turn on the company that made him a "superstar". At one point he set up his own wrestling academy, and we know of some of his grads.

Had HBK been the man to join the NWO, I think WCW would probably still have gone under. The Rock, HHH, and Austin revolutionized the the late 90's. HBK wasn't a part of that anyhow. I just think the NWO would have been "Cooler". Then again Hogan turning heel, and coming out to Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Child is just to fucking cool.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
I've never heard of Taker or HBK jumping ship. The only other guy I've ever heard as a possibility is Sting.

He's the only in-house guy other than Hogan who would've really worked anyway.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It was actually supposed to be HBK, and basically the whole "Kliq". Except HBK/HHH were kept in the WWE. From what I understand WCW was trying everything they could to get HBK, and they even tried to buy out his contract. Everyone is under the impression that the time spent on the shelf away from the WWE(f) was due to his back.

Not to say that his back wasn't in great shape, but lets be serious here folks. HBK felt as though he was being held captive by the WWF at that time. There was a ton of heat on members of the "Kliq", and thats why Waltman, Hall, and Nash left, it wasn't just about the money. HBK had no choice, but to stay because they had him under contract. The whole back "excuse" was the WWE's way of saying "Go ahead take a vacation, but you're not going to WCW".

Compare to it that of a professional sports star "holding out". Along the way HBK found "Christ", and the rest is his story to make up. Being the new christian man HBK couldn't turn on the company that made him a "superstar". At one point he set up his own wrestling academy, and we know of some of his grads.

Had HBK been the man to join the NWO, I think WCW would probably still have gone under. The Rock, HHH, and Austin revolutionized the the late 90's. HBK wasn't a part of that anyhow. I just think the NWO would have been "Cooler". Then again Hogan turning heel, and coming out to Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Child is just to fucking cool.
HBK's back problems and first retirement came 2 yrs after this

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Had it been Sting it would have the same impact because Sting was to WCW exactly what Hulk Hogan was to WWF which was the main marquee man and standard bearer for the company and a heel turn would have been HUGE.
I disagree. The whole mystique of the NWO was that they almost seemed to be a genuine invasion force from the WWF. Having a non-WWF member would have affected that. Also, Sting was not, and is not, the most famous wrestler of all time, Hulk Hogan is.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Just wondering something Scrilla, is the reason you made this thread, is because you saw this on TV?

:lmao at 14 sec, the way Heenan says "he's the third man" and the look on Lebron's face cracks me up every time

Anyway the rumors around that time, from the shoot interviews and articles I've read, WCW tried to bring in either HBK or Bret, or they were gonna go with Sting, it wasn't till the decision to go with Sting, that Hogan spoke up and "volunteered" to be the third guy. It all worked out in the end, I can't imagine anyone other than possibly HBK who was the WWF champion at the time, making more of an impact. Just imagine heel HBK (DX 1997), as the third man, while he was still the WWF champion, WWF may actually have died in 1996 if that happen, Bret, HBK, Nash and Hall all leaving would have totally crushed WWF.

·
Registered
789 Posts
So does anyone know who it was gonna be if it wasn't Hogan?
Have some dirtsheets from 1996:

(www): WCW drew over 15,000 fans in Buffalo--one of their best gates
in a long time.

(www): The 24 June 1996 Nitro will feature STING vs LEX LUGER. Some
people are speculating that this will be for the world title or that
Luger will turn (possibly as the third WWFer) at the 16 June 1996
Great American Bash PPV.

(torch): HULK HOGAN should be back in time for the 11 August 1996 PPV
in South Dakota.

·
Registered
737 Posts
at first bischoff approached hogan but hogan didnt like the sound of it due to his fans charity work etc etc, so bischoff lined up sting and sting accepted then couple days leading up to bash at the beach hogan called bischoff and said he wanted to go ahead with being the 3rd man after he saw the storyline with nash n hall on tv. this is what bischoff said in his book exactly

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Have some dirtsheets from 1996:

(www): WCW drew over 15,000 fans in Buffalo--one of their best gates
in a long time.

(www): The 24 June 1996 Nitro will feature STING vs LEX LUGER. Some
people are speculating that this will be for the world title or that
Luger will turn (possibly as the third WWFer) at the 16 June 1996
Great American Bash PPV.

(torch): HULK HOGAN should be back in time for the 11 August 1996 PPV
in South Dakota.
Ok, where is your time machine and may I borrow it to go back to 2006 to wreak havoc?

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
In Kevin Sullivan's shoot interview he said that the plan was always to have Hogan in the spot, but because of his creative control they had Sting as a back-up ready to turn if Hogan pulled out. The match went to plan, Hogan came out/turned and Sting stayed face. Wrestling was changed forever that day, it was a really special moment.

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
Imagine what wrestling would be like if Hogan never turned heel.......
Well, probably the same. That chapter was only important when the book was open, but it is now well and truly closed. I don’t think it altered much. WCW still died, a bunch of workers were out of a job, Vince still monopolised… It meant very little in the greater scheme of things.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts