Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now, I know I am most likely going to get bashed by the IWC here, but I really do not care. Lately I have been watching people continually bury Joe Hennig, or also known as Michael McGgllicutty, saying he is no where near as good as his father or he is a second rate phony who deserves nothing more than to be released by the WWE. Now, some of that maybe true at the moment, but I think people continuously forget that the WWE is the land of IMPROVEMENT. Now, I know Joe isn't the greatest on the mic, and in the past he has proved to be completely sloppy in his word choices (referring to the NXT season Two finale promo, which we have all most likely seen.) Funnily enough, I remember another bright, young superstar who people thought who had no chance in hell in even making mid-card status, a guy who on his first appearance on Raw made an absolute fool of himself during a promo he was cutting. I am referring to the Awesome one, The Miz. Let's take a look, shall we:

Now, I am not bashing The Miz, The Miz proved me wrong a long time ago when he got drafted to Raw in 09, and yes I have been a strong Miz Mark since then and I am proud of it. What I am demonstrating is, The Miz has come from that goofy clown to one of the most entertaining and driven superstars in the WWE today, and the thing is, no one really believed in him, especially witnessing that on LIVE television. In a way I see similarities between The Miz and Joe Hennig. Yeah, maybe Joe hasn't really shown much personality in his early stages of his career, yet, may I remind you it's still his early stages. Joe Hennig can easily improve, just like The Miz did. Joe already has a solid ring ethic, and I have heard he is generally liked by most people backstage. I really don't care if he's not like his dad Mr.Perfect, all wrestlers aim to be something different, NOT SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE! (Example of someone who tried to pull off his fathers gimmick was Ted Dibiase Jnr, what a success that turned out to be huh...) What I am trying to say is, Joe has basically just started his career, and he can easily improve his mic skills, all he needs is given an opportunity and a chance. In my honest opinion, Joe has the total package, all he has to do his work on his personality and his mic skills and the kid is set. Sure, it may take a while, but mark my words, just like The Miz, critics and doubters will be turned into believers...

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Wow. Miz was awful. Guess everyone CAN improve if they put the time in and have the dedication.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was a Miz doubter and he turned me into a believer back in 2009 so I agree with what you're saying. Will Joe Hennig be a huge star in the WWE? Does he have what it takes? I think the time will tell.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was a Miz doubter and he turned me into a believer back in 2009 so I agree with what you're saying. Will Joe Hennig be a huge star in the WWE? Does he have what it takes? I think the time will tell.
And if people give Joe time, he will improve, no doubt about it...

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
The fact that you compared The Miz to Michael McGillicutty is blasphemy. Even in 2006, The Miz was more entertaining than Perfect Jr. ever will be. People may have hated his @$$, and gotten a kick out of watching a former reality star flub his lines, get beat up by The Boogeyman, and get unwanted lap dances by Big Dick Johnson, but they at least paid attention to him and knew he existed

On a side note, the fact that The Miz in 2006 was more entertaining and memorable than some of the current talent today is just another sign of how low the product has dropped in the past 5 years.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fact that you compared The Miz to Michael McGillicutty is blasphemy. Even in 2006, The Miz was more entertaining than Perfect Jr. ever will be. People may have hated his @$$, and gotten a kick out of watching a former reality star flub his lines, get beat up by The Boogeyman, and get unwanted lap dances by Big Dick Johnson, but they at least paid attention to him and knew he existed
People know Joe exists, or he wouldn't be compared to Mr.Perfect so much on this forum. So technically, just like The Miz in his early stages of his career, he has made a small impact, just like The Miz did in his early stages. And why is comparing The Miz and Joe Henning considered blasphemy? You're making out as if The Miz is a wrestling god and he shouldn't even be compared to people like Muta, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels etc. Sorry if it offends you in some weird way, but I believe when it comes to their mic skills in their early careers, both had similar problems and both had/have their critics and non-believers, e.g you...

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
People know Joe exists, or he wouldn't be compared to Mr.Perfect so much on this forum. So technically, just like The Miz in his early stages of his career, he has made a small impact, just like The Miz did in his early stages. And why is comparing The Miz and Joe Henning considered blasphemy? You're making out as if The Miz is a wrestling god and he shouldn't even be compared to people like Muta, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels etc. Sorry if it offends you in some weird way, but I believe when it comes to their mic skills in their early careers, both had similar problems...
For starters, Michael McGillicutty is the son of Mr. Perfect, so of course people around here compare the two. HIS blessing. OUR curse. Just like Ted DiBiase Jr. before him, had it not been for who his father was, he wouldn't have a job right now.

Second of all, The Miz isn't a wrestling god by any means, and he never will be. I don't know where you came up with the comparison to Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart, because just about anybody will tell you he's not in their leauge. What I'm saying is that McGillicutty is so bad right now that even the Host of SmackDown, Mike "The Miz" Mizanin...THE worst thing about WWE in 2006...could run circles around him.

And finally, there is a huge difference between forgetting a few of your lines during your first month on the main WWE roster and what the fucking "Genesis of McGillicutty" said...or didn't say...during the NXT Season 2 finale. Miz showed the WWE Universe that he needed a little work on the mic. McGillicutty showed the WWE Universe he needs to stay as far away from the mic as possible.

Hope this clears a few things up.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
For starters, Michael McGillicutty is the son of Mr. Perfect, so of course people around here compare the two. HIS blessing. OUR curse. Just like Ted DiBiase Jr. before him, had it not been for who his father was, he wouldn't have a job right now.

Second of all, The Miz isn't a wrestling god by any means, and he never will be. I don't know where you came up with the comparison to Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart, because just about anybody will tell you he's not in their leauge. What I'm saying is that McGillicutty is so bad right now that even the Host of SmackDown, Mike "The Miz" Mizanin...THE worst thing about WWE in 2006...could run circles around him.

And finally, there is a huge difference between forgetting a few of your lines during your first months on the main WWE roster and what the fucking "Genesis of McGillicutty" said...or didn't say...during the NXT Season 2 finale. Miz showed the WWE Universe that he needed a little work on the mic. McGillicutty showed the WWE Universe he needs to stay as far away from the mic as possible.

Okay, for starters, how is Joe OUR curse? He cut one bad promo on NXT season 2 (note it was on NXT, not Monday Night Raw). Since then, I cannot recall a real time Joe got another chance to have mic time to improve. However, Miz was given Host of Smackdown to improve on his mic skills, which he did DRAMATICALLY. If Joe was given that same opportunity, just like The Miz, OUR curse could EASILY improve...

Second of all, when you stated that comparing Miz and Joe is wrong, it kinda sounded like you were making out The Miz was better than wrestlers I stated just before. The Miz was at the right place, at the right time by getting Host of Smackdown. These days, there is too much young talent to share individual TV time for people like Joe. Miz was lucky, if Joe was given a chance, like I stated early, HE CAN IMPROVE.

And finally, you're are right. However, there is a huge different between fucking up on MONDAY NIGHT RAW and fucking up on NXT, which is now funnily enough a WWE.com show now. Miz was lucky he wasn't released after that night. But you want to know why he didn't get released? Because they saw potential in him, just like they see potential in Joe. And don't give me that bullshit argument, but his father his Mr.Perfect that's why he is only still in the business. Guess what, DH Smith says hi...

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Okay, for starters, how is Joe OUR curse? He cut one bad promo on NXT season 2 (note it was on NXT, not Monday Night Raw). Since then, I cannot recall a real time Joe got another chance to have mic time to improve. However, Miz was given Host of Smackdown to improve on his mic skills, which he did DRAMATICALLY. If Joe was given that same opportunity, just like The Miz, OUR curse could EASILY improve...
We have to watch him on television every week, don't we? How is THAT not a curse? Hogging up air time from other wrestlers that may actually deserve it. At least we don't have to hear a promo from him every week too.

Second of all, when you stated that comparing Miz and Joe is wrong, it kinda sounded like you were making out The Miz was better than wrestlers I stated just before. The Miz was at the right place, right time by getting Host of Smackdown. These days, there is too much young talent to share individual TV time for people like Joe. Miz was lucky, if Joe was given a chance, like I stated early, HE CAN IMPROVE.
He was given a chance. WWE made him the runner-up of NXT Season 2, put in the most dominant stable in the company at the time, the Nexus, and made him a tag team champion for several months. Weekly air-time, and plenty of opportunities to get noticed.

Guess what? WWE threw him gold for over a year, and McGillicutty fucked himself up every step of the way.

And finally, you're are right. However, there is a huge different between fucking up on MONDAY NIGHT RAW and fucking up on NXT, which is now funnily enough a WWE.com show. Miz was lucky he wasn't released after that night. But you want to know why he didn't get released? Because they saw potential in him, just like they see potential in Joe.
The only difference is in the number of people watching the show. NXT aired on television back in mid-2010, and at the time, it was beating TNA Impact in the ratings.

Miz WAS lucky he wasn't released that night, becuase the company DID see potential in him. McGillicutty wasn't released because he was the son of Mr. Perfect.

And don't give me that bullshit arguement, but his father his Mr.Perfect that's why he is only still in the business. Guess what, DH Smith says hi...
It took WWE about two years to realize DH Smith would never amount to shit. Given that he's been on television since last summer, I'd say McGillicutty is about half way there. He's already gotten that token tag team title reign out of the way, hasn't he?

Hope this clears thing...forget it. I know this clears things up.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have to watch him on television every week, don't we? How is THAT not a curse? Hogging up air time from other wrestlers that may actually deserve it. At least we don't have to hear a promo from him every week too.

He was given a chance. WWE made him the runner-up of NXT Season 2, put in the most dominant stable in the company at the time, the Nexus, and made him a tag team champion for several months. Weekly air-time, and plenty of opportunities to get noticed.

Guess what? WWE threw him gold for over a year, and McGillicutty fucked himself up every step of the way.

The only difference is in the number of people watching the show. NXT aired on television back in mid-2010, and at the time, it was beating TNA Impact in the ratings.

Miz WAS lucky he wasn't released that night, becuase the company DID see potential in him. McGillicutty wasn't released because he was the son of Mr. Perfect.

It took WWE about two years to realize DH Smith would never amount to shit. Given that he's been on television since last summer, I'd say McGillicutty is about half way there. He's already gotten that token tag team title reign out of the way, hasn't he?

We have to watch him correct, but hogging up air time is ridiculous. The only time Joe is on TV is either jobbing, or jobbing in a match that lasts about 2-4 minutes. Hogging TV time, I think not. Not only is he not given mic time like The Miz was, he isn't even given a chance to show what he can really do in the ring. That's why he really needs to get rid of Otunga in my opinion...

Runner up in NXT Season 2, wow what a career definer. Put in the most dominant stable, at the time incorrect. When Joe joined, The Nexus was a joke. Nexus were more focused making John Cena their bitch than actually continuing making an impact in the WWE. And yeah, becoming a tag team champion was an opportunity, but they fucked that up when they paired him with David Otunga. By the way, they did get noticed, or you wouldn't be so strong about this issue. Negative or positive point of view, in the wrestling business, any reaction is a good one. So even if these golden opportunities weren't great for him to captilize on, he has obviously made a impact, or like I said, you wouldn't be so strong on this topic.

And NXT was beating TNA in the ratings, but RAW was dominating both shows. I wonder which show out of the three is the most important?

So you did pull up that bullshit argument, just like I thought you would. So tell me, DH Smith was getting no TV time after the Hart Dynasty, right? However, after Joe's NXT promo, like you said, for several months and onwards, Joe has been given TV time. That begs the question, why has he been given this over DH Smith, the SON OF THE BRITISH BULLDOG, considered one of the biggest draws in the European district. You wanna know why Joe has been given this opportunity over DH Smith? It's not because his Dad is a WWE Legend, or DH Smith would be given the same opportunity, because you have stated both Joe and Smith are shit, yet Joe has been given more TV time. It's because they see potential in Joe Hennig, not because of Mr.Perfect. Get it through your thick skull, being the son of Mr.Perfect doesn't matter. If being the son of Mr.Perfect is keeping his job, why have people of legendary fathers such as DH Smith, The Usos, Deuce Snuka (the list goes on) have either been released or put on the shelf over Joe? Maybe it's because all them didn't have potential, no matter how great their father was. BUT JOE HAS POTENTIAL, that's why he still has his job and why he appears on Raw. Why are you pretending you can't see that? I am pretty sure the WWE know what they are doing over you. You were probably a Miz doubter from day one, but the WWE made a believer of you I am guessing.

·
HOPE
13,222 Posts
I was initially impressed by Hennig (I can't spell his current name, so I'm not going to even bother to try), because when we first saw him on NXT, he had shown improvement on what we had previously seen from him down in FCW. Knowing that, I'll agree he can improve, but I think there's a key difference between The Miz and Hennig, and that's what exactly it is that they need to improve upon (or needed to, if we're making the comparison with The Miz back then, even though he should still be improving now). Hennig needs develop a presence, while Miz needed to develop just about everything EXCEPT a presence.

The thing about WWE is that you NEED a presence to succeed. You always have. Back in the old days, you had outlandish characters that kind of grabbed your attention in one way or another, but these days the same is still true. Look at their top guys - Cena, Orton, Triple H + Punk. Most people complain about them in one way or another, but they still have a presence. That much is undeniable. The thing about Hennig is that he has no presence whatsoever. He's decent in the ring, and that made him stand out on NXT2 when compared to the likes of just about everyone else on there, but once he arrived on the main roster, he was no longer the least bit noticeable, even when in Nexus. Otunga stood out for how bad he was, Slater and Gabriel had enough to be noticed, and Husky had a presence of his own, but Hennig was practically invisible. Granted, his boring look doesn't help, but he just never exudes any personality whatsoever.

The problem for him is that in a company where personality is so important, they have a hard time teaching it. FCW is such a cookie cutter developmental ground, that it doesn't really give people the tools to stand out. You kind of have it or you don't. Hennig really doesn't. It's going to be much harder for him to develop what he then needs to than it was for Miz, because Miz had a presence. He needed to work on everything else, but WWE can train you in those other fundamentals, and as a result of that (and seemingly A LOT of hard work), he's succeeded. Will Hennig? Probably not.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I was initially impressed by Hennig (I can't spell his current name, so I'm not going to even bother to try), because when we first saw him on NXT, he had shown improvement on what we had previously seen from him down in FCW. Knowing that, I'll agree he can improve, but I think there's a key difference between The Miz and Hennig, and that's what exactly it is that they need to improve upon (or needed to, if we're making the comparison with The Miz back then, even though he should still be improving now). Hennig needs develop a presence, while Miz needed to develop just about everything EXCEPT a presence.

The thing about WWE is that you NEED a presence to succeed. You always have. Back in the old days, you had outlandish characters that kind of grabbed your attention in one way or another, but these days the same is still true. Look at their top guys - Cena, Orton, Triple H + Punk. Most people complain about them in one way or another, but they still have a presence. That much is undeniable. The thing about Hennig is that he has no presence whatsoever. He's decent in the ring, and that made him stand out on NXT2 when compared to the likes of just about everyone else on there, but once he arrived on the main roster, he was no longer the least bit noticeable, even when in Nexus. Otunga stood out for how bad he was, Slater and Gabriel had enough to be noticed, and Husky had a presence of his own, but Hennig was practically invisible. Granted, his boring look doesn't help, but he just never exudes any personality whatsoever.

The problem for him is that in a company where personality is so important, they have a hard time teaching it. FCW is such a cookie cutter developmental ground, that it doesn't really give people the tools to stand out. You kind of have it or you don't. Hennig really doesn't. It's going to be much harder for him to develop what he then needs to than it was for Miz, because Miz had a presence. He needed to work on everything else, but WWE can train you in those other fundamentals, and as a result of that (and seemingly A LOT of hard work), he's succeeded. Will Hennig? Probably not.
I agree with most of the stuff you are saying. But let me remind you, when someone starts off, some people don't have much presence. In order to develop a presence, you either like you said have it, or need an opportunity to develop it. For example, when Randy Orton debuted, it was a great kick off to his career. Then it was kind of bland for a while, until he was given an opportunity to make a presence and let his voice be heard, via evolution. What I am saying is, a lot of those superstars you named got a massive opportunity to captilize and improve on. If Joe got the same opportunity, he can prove a lot of people wrong, in my opinion

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^
And just thinking about my comment, another great example is Stone Cold. His ringmaster gimmick sucked ass. It wasn't until he really displayed his true presence when he was given a chance to re-invent his gimmick. He then went on to be the WWE's all time greats...

When someone is given an opportunity, it is then that they can show there true colours.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Edge debuted in WWF/E being 25 years old.
Shawn Michaels, 23
Undertaker, 25
John Cena, 25
Randy Orton, 22
Triple H, 25
Matt and Jeff Hardy, 24 and 21(or less).
The Miz, 26

McGillicutty is 32 the next week and he's(with Curtis) the most generic wrestler in the entire roster.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The thing is , Miz stumbled in his first Raw but you can easely notice that his delivery and the way he talks , make him a great talker. That was just nerves getting the upperhand on him.

While Hennig just isn't a great talker. The guy is a good wrestler , but even Otunga surpasses him on the mic.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts