Wrestling Forum banner

What do you consider on the term "One of the greatest of all time"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you consider when people say "One of the greatest of all time"

Is it top 5 wreslters? Top 10 wrestlers? Or top 20?

We usually use the term "One of the greatest of all time", but is being overused. So what does it really mean?

For me: "One of the greatest of all time" It's top 5-10 wrestlers.

And I consider "legend" a different thing and more then 10.

·
Registered
947 Posts
They're not sure about where they would out someone in their GOAT list, but they for sure are not at no.1. It might even drop lower than 20.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I gotta go with top 15 or top 20, only because there are so many greats.

For example, is Chris Jericho one of the greatest of all time? Sure, at least IMO. But I wouldn't put him in the top 10 so......

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I usually understand top 20 or something like that. For example, HBK, Taker, Y2J... they are among the greatest of all time, although they might not be stars of the size of Hogan, Austin or Rock.

·
Banned
969 Posts
Yeah, around the 20 mark. Like for example you always hear someone like Mark Henry being called one of the greatest of all time, but is he in the top 10? top 5? top 3? Certainly not, but he deserves to be acknowledged as great, so that's where the key word ONE comes in.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
Wow, when I think about it, I don't even think 20 covers it. The history/mythology of professional wrestling is really deep, you can make a bold statement like 'the Moondogs' were one the the greatest teams of all time, and not be incorrect, though it is a little misleading. A lot of that comes from the 'promotional' aspect of the business.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Mark henry was a terrible example. Y2J or taker are one of the greats but not considered the greatest. Taker would be in my top 10 but I know a lot of people on this forum acknowledge his great career but don't rank them in their top ten.

The G.O.A.T term is thrown around so often especially with Bradshaw calling everyone one of the greats. I know he is bigging someone up but surely he can do it another way. We all no alberto is not one of the greats

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
20. CM Punk usually ends up filling all the spots though. What can I say, GOATS are gonna GOAT.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Top 20 for me......different eras etc etc could go way back. I could do a top twenty from about 1986 onwards for example. In fact here goes.

Ricky steamboat, mr perfect, hulk hogan, ultimate warrior (not for ability but persona etc), Bam bam, ric flair, sting, andre the giant, brett hart, hbk, undertaker, stone cold, rock, kurt angle, RVD, mick foley, terry funk, scott hall (had the lot imo), randy savage and trish stratus.....you know why. Im sure there are far more 'educated' wrestling fans who could give names of legends from japan and other promotions but I was always a wwf wcw guy.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
In no particulair order..

1:Hogan
2:Austin
3:Rock
4:Flair
5:Bret Hart
6:Shawn Michaels
7:Angle
8:Macho Man
9:Andre the Giant
10:Undertaker
11:Sting
12:Edge
13:Bruno Sammartino

So I would say, top 15. I would add my own personal all time favorites, Brock and Goldberg to that list aswell, but that's just my own un-populair opinion.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
For me, it's like top 50. There have been A LOT of greats that have come through. Guys like Roddy Piper, Ricky Steamboat, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, etc. They're not top 10 or top 15 but they definitely belong in that list.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
For me, it's like top 50. There have been A LOT of greats that have come through. Guys like Roddy Piper, Ricky Steamboat, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, etc. They're not top 10 or top 15 but they definitely belong in that list.
I would say top 50 as well if we include wrestling history.If it's top 10,does that mean guys like Shawn Michaels,Undertaker,HHH etc aren't greats?

·
CHAIRMAN of WF
2,528 Posts
I usually would go with top 20, but when you think about it, the history of wrestling is very very long and rich and in that long history, many greats have come and gone. I mean from just the 1950s-1980s you can easily fill out a top 20 list. So to be fair, I think top 50 dead or alive would be more appropriate.

Anything under top 50 simply wouldn't be enough IMO.

·
Da Warthog!
3,275 Posts
I'm taking the kayfabe logic approach on this: The greatest of this Sport get elevated in the Hall of Fame. -> Koko B. Ware is in the Hall of Fame. -> Koko B. Ware must be one of the greatest -> everybody more successful than Koko B. Ware == ootGOAT :vince2

1 - 20 of 31 Posts