Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, if the WWE really wants to revive tag teaming, they need to devote more time to the tag teams and stop breaking them up. I'mma run down the strengths of each team that WWE should keep together and you can see if you agree with me. WWE should take a leaf out of TNA's book because tag teams are one of the few things TNA is able to get right.

1) The Hart Dynasty - At number 1 on the Tag Team list, it's the pink and black. Say what you like about DH Smith, Tyson Kidd is bloody good. The only problem with these guys is they suck ass at promos. Natalya adds interest though as the manager as she has the most personality, so she needs to stay in this role while wrestling for the Divas title.

2) The Dudebusters - In B4 "Who the fuck is...?" jokes, it's the Dudebusters at number 2. Why number 2? Well, they're both excellent in the ring, they have some comedy segments that puts one in mind of 2000 Edge and Christian, and they're quite (but not very) over for people who are never fucking on TV.

3) Edge and Christian - You knew it was coming. Edge will probably get another run as champion while Christian's away, but once Captain Charisma is back, they should reunite. Why? Because I believe one of the weaknesses of the tag team division is that IT LACKS VETERANS. Guys who really know how to work a tag match. As great as Edge and Christian are, they can be useful and still successful here especially with the main event scene quite busy on both shows as it is.

4) Santino and Kozlov - As the Miz would say, "Really?" Yes. Santino is a kid-appeal character who can also work well (if he is allowed to) and Kozlov is all right in the ring for a bigger guy. These guys can be entertaining in my opinion. Worth a shot but not any lengthy reigns.

5) The Usos - Yeah, might as well, because what else would they do? Yeah they're pretty much exactly the same, but in terms of character and ability, the Dudleys have been too - except the Usos are more interesting in the ring these days. Difference in character is only important in a team like Santino and Kozlov where you have two entirely different gimmicks.

Honourable mentions:

• The Dashing Ones - Breaking them up helps neither one right now.
  • Hawkins and Ryder - Reunite them with their current gimmicks. This is the only place they can be successful at the moment, and two excellent wrestlers are being wasted by not being used here.
Tag Teaming shouldn't be crap - remember in 2000 when the Hardys and the Dudleys were good? There were tons of tag teams but even so the whole division could have been run on them and E&C. I think the main issues are A) Booking and B) Devotion of time. Solve these problems WWE, and you can have a really interesting tag division with the teams you have now.

Well. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Completely agree. When you take a cursory glance at the sort of tag teams working the American indy scene at the moment, the WWE's division looks positively anemic.

Kings Of Wrestling
American Wolves
World's Greatest Tag Team
The Briscoes
The Cutlers
Super Smash Bros
Up In Smoke
All Night Express
MCMGs
Beer Money
Team 3D
London Brawling (sort of)
Young Bucks

Then you look at, say, how Steen/Corino vs El Generico/Cabana has been booked, or at the stables and teams you see in Chikara. Even on the WWE's roster, there are plenty of underutilised workers who could immensely benefit from a tag run.

To be honest, the division is dangerously close to having the plug pulled, but it doesn't have to be that way. There is more than enough talent out there. Maybe the problem is with two World and two midcard titles, they feel it would be overkill to have the tag belts important too.

Whatever the case, I grew up with tag wrestling, and it just seems like a waste when title matches in the division are being announced at the PPV. KOW/WGTT have proved that the art isn't dead, and can still draw plenty of interest. Hopefully the WWE realise this one day soon.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Of course the WWE Tag Team Division shouldn't suck, but it does. Unfortunately, it looks like the WWE has no interest in fixing it.

Hell, right now they're probably gonna break up the #1 Tag Team on your list. Even though it makes no sense whatsoever to do so. They also just broke up the Dashing Ones, although I think they shouldn't have ever become a team and won the belts to begin with.

It's all about the WWE bookers and Vince McMahon's willingness to make an effort.

They should have brought in the Brisco Brothers from Ring of Honor to bolster the Division a long time ago.

Another team that would be good in the WWE right now is if they brought up Los Aviadores from FCW.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I still blame DX, Vince and the rest of the WWE creative team for the the Tag Team division being in the state that it's in especially when DX cut that rather infamous promo a few years back when they pretty much buried the entire division altogether.

That promo told me that they really didn't give a shit about it anymore and the affects of it can still be felt today.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I like the idea of reuniting Hawkins and Ryder. But the truth of the matter is that WWE doesn't give a **** about tag division

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
People complain a lot about the randomness of some of the teams, but it's important to remember that all teams are random when they start. The roster is so big, if they want to throw random guys together into tag teams, that's fine...as long as they stay together and aren't doing any solo business on the side. If Dashingly Sinister had wanted to forge ahead as a full-time tag team, they could have absolutely done so. There's plenty of floundering guys whose careers could at least find relevance through being paired together. The New Age Outlaws are arguably the best example of two random jobbers getting paired together to form a totally over, successful tag team.

Oh, and I hate the thought of Ryder teaming with Hawkins again. Ryder is (slowly) carving his own niche as an entertaining singles competitor, while I'm not sure I'd even recognize Hawkins if I saw him.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Yeah, TTD shouldn't suck considering the tag teams involved, Dudebusters and The Usos are so packed with potential i can see them tear the roof off if they're given chance to shine. Problem is, WWE are focusing more on creating single stars right now, it seems tag team division isn't WWE's favorite place to create stars nowadays therefore it doesn't get as much focus as the other divisions. And also, not many tag team wrestlers in recent memory could breakthrough when they go solo, only a handful of guys who can get far like The Miz or to an extent John Morrison, even the pairing of these two was as random as it could get, the other tag team wrestlers are either becoming jobbers or stuck in the obscurity. So yeah, i believe WWE can make an awesome TTD if they care to try.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah just to clarify, which I should have done in the OP, I'm suggesting that the HD and Dashing Ones be kept together.

I think a Dashing Ones vs. Dudebusters rivalry could be great; very different characters opposing each other.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
They could also reunite Cryme Tyme,with Shad returning to save the directionless JTG from a beatdown.Talented Nexus members Slater and Gabriel should team for the foreseeable future.Another team could consist of veterans Goldust and William Regal.It would be comedy gold,yet very technically sound.

Then there would be 8 full time tag teams:
Cryme Tyme
Nexus
Hart Dynasty
The Dudebusters
Zack Ryder and Curt Hawkins - give them a name
The Usos
Santino and Vladimir Kozlov - give then a name
Goldust and William Regal

Or 9 if they dropped the mindless seperation of the Dashing Ones.

How about a storyline where Nexus challenges and defeats a number of old tag teams in a quest to prove they are the greatest ever tag team.This would lead to the one night revival of Edge and Christian.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts