Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
its this over exposure... they run WAYYYY too many fuckin shows! 10-12 hours of wrestling a week with the same roster (it doesnt matter the brand split they are in the same company) along with a PPV every damn week is toooooooo much man. TONE DOWN THE EXPOSURE YOU ARE KILLING YOUR GUYS' HEAT!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Making it 3 teams of 5 turned both matches into unwatchable train wrecks until they finally thinned the herd. A lot of people wound up looking like jobbers. Keep it to 5v5 and I think its still a good concept, but they cant book ANYTHING well anymore as many have mentioned.

·
Registered
265 Posts
How many people here actually watched Survivor Series through the eyes of a fan and not the eyes of a critic?

Except for the women's main event bombing hard, the rest of the show had great matches. The traditional 5-on-5 matches were spread out nicely so as not to wear the fans out, NXT's women stole the show, Dunne vs Cole was potentially a show-stealer, and the fans were loud throughout the whole show whether they were booing or cheering.

I don't really see how WWE can continue with the tri-brand warfare story arc now, but it did one thing perfectly: introduce a wider audience to a serious third brand alongside RAW and SmackDown that offers more hard-hitting wrestling but something that also blends well with the more "WWE superstar" style wrestling from Orton, Strowman, Rollins, etc.

WWE basically just proved that there's no "war" or "competition" from AEW, despite what shit-stirrers stuck in the '90s will tell you.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I disagree with Survivor Series being a dead concept. I actually love it. However, the execution has not been good for a while. I think adding the third brand under the current format does really hurt it, but that is booking.

The lead up to Survivor Series is more annoying than the show. Every good match has a run-in from another brand and ends in a no-decision. Just let us have some good matches. There was at least one episode of RAW where every match ended in a no finish. It was annoying and I actually stopped watching the Raw & Smackdown because of it.

Survivor Series COULD still be amazing if they actually booked it right. That is the challenge though. Just give us the dream encounters we want. We don't always need a long match between guys. Give us Walter vs. McIntyre for a solid few minutes. Give us Keith Lee vs. Braun Strowman for a bit and let us enjoy it.

For this show, the point was to make NXT look strong compared to AEW. The issue is booking did it at the expense of Raw and Smackdown stars. There was no real reason to have Roderick Strong win when Shinsuke Nakamura was desperate for a huge victory like this. No reason to have Shayna Baszler win when Bayley is desperate for legitimacy. The run back in by the NXT women killed the great feeling for another Rhea Ripley against all odds win. She's the future IMO but they watered her epic success down big time.

So it's booking not the concept to me.
I hope it is ok I pared your response down a little here on my reply. I tend to agree with what you've got here. . . booking and execution. I don't see any reason why all the brands couldn't have come out of this looking good, and with NXT operating at a competitive level, it should have been enough to legitimize the brand as an equal to the others and to competitors.

I came up with 4 different ways in a few minutes that made sense (I liked Nakamura winning, as well) to have it being tied at 2 (instead of 3-2-1) heading in the main event, whether they wanted to leave the Becky/Bayley/Shayna match there or flip it with the men's team match. Either way, it brings some urgency to the main event, when in this case, it was already determined that NXT would at least be tied at the top. Give the winning team a huge benefit (like having someone that won a match for the winning team getting the #30 at the Royal Rumble).

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hope it is ok I pared your response down a little here on my reply. I tend to agree with what you've got here. . . booking and execution. I don't see any reason why all the brands couldn't have come out of this looking good, and with NXT operating at a competitive level, it should have been enough to legitimize the brand as an equal to the others and to competitors.

I came up with 4 different ways in a few minutes that made sense (I liked Nakamura winning, as well) to have it being tied at 2 (instead of 3-2-1) heading in the main event, whether they wanted to leave the Becky/Bayley/Shayna match there or flip it with the men's team match. Either way, it brings some urgency to the main event, when in this case, it was already determined that NXT would at least be tied at the top. Give the winning team a huge benefit (like having someone that won a match for the winning team getting the #30 at the Royal Rumble).
I love that concept that the winning brand gets #30. At least SOMETHING is on the line.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
it mostly boils back to the same problem, lack of cohesive stories.

There is no actual point to the survivor series elimination matches besides the gimmick of the match itself. WWE runs the matches purely because its survivor series rather than making the show fit into a story.

This is the same problem with hell in a cell and money in the bank. The matches arnt used to advance a story, its done because "hey that gimmick PPV is coming up so we HAVE to do that match". Once the show is over, the winners of the cases are quickly lost in the shuffle to be forgotten about because WWE had no real plan for them.

wwe has ruined mostly everything, even the royal rumble is mostly a forgettable, pointless affair these days. The only show worth anything is wrestlemania and even that is going down in quality by the year.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The survivor series concept was good only when the wwe had 4 big PPVs and you had teams of babyfaces versus heels that had personal rivalries behind them to settle. It has been the most pointless concept in wwe for decades, it just that putting NXT because of AEW made it even worse.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thats because they do the stupid brand loyalty crap, like they really care when they get drafted every bloody week.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
It's dead there is no prize or reward for the winner or something like Survivor Series 2001 and 2003 where the team need win to defend what supposedly belong to one person like job and the loser will have to walk out from the company. At least NXT women have the good continuity, Rhea start stepping into Shayna yard and she also try handle Dakota who almost cost their team at War Games.

The tag team also seems have unofficial rule,the illegal can't break the pin or submission attempt, seriously? Your team need victory but when your partner is on trouble,you can't help but just watching them get three count or tapout, it's all about try to survive and yet your partner just stand up outside the ring without try do something.

The other problem, no big triumph on title match, the three world titles on the line but no title change from those matches. Rey actually can be good opportunity to create big time moment but screw that, Lesnar need keep the title while RAW can have US title for their temporary world title.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts