Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not one for making threads but I need to rant...

Just like the past few years tonight's Survivor Series gave us clusterfuck matches after clusterfuck matches, along with shitty booking decisions after shitty booking decisions.

The elimination matches yet again consisted of shitty eliminations with garbage booking, the only time these matches get good is when you're usually down to the last three guys, what you get beforehand is nothing more than boring trash. Walter's elimination especially took the piss, whoever decided that booking decision is a fucking asshole.

As for the 2 on 2 or triple threat matches, yet again they were very hit and miss. Brock vs Rey albeit 7 minutes was one of the most entertaining matches of the night. As for the bad the red lighting is really spoiling Bray's matches, while the main event was garbage.

The biggest problem though is adding NXT to Survivor Series, they were booked as the strongest brand tonight because Vince clearly fears AEW. Ripley, Lee and a few others were made to look strong in the hope that they attract viewers to NXT. Doing all this though sacrifices the main roster which is already shit, and tonight's booking has just made the main roster look even shitter.

The Survivor Series concept nowadays has lost it's spark, it's the same shit year after year after year, few good matches here and there but the show gets overshadowed by clusterfuck moments and bizarre booking decisions.

Some of you may agree, some definitely won't, fire away guys...

·
Queen of all Galaxies
3,460 Posts
Of course it's dead since its ONLY purpose it to have SmackDown JOB to the other brand(s).

The last Survivor Series I enjoyed is the 2014 one. Dolph overcame the odds, Sting debuted, The Authority got fired, THERE WAS A FUCKING STORYLINE GOING ON THERE. That was the last Survivor Series main event that ACTUALLY TOLD A GOOD STORY.

These days Survivor Series makes me feel bad that I still follow WWE. This is exactly how I felt after last year's event too.

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Men's Traditional Survivor Series match was MotN though. I'm sure the next PPV with the XMAS theme will be worse.

·
Blaze is Elite
2,874 Posts
Of course it's dead since its ONLY purpose it to have SmackDown JOB to the other brand(s).

The last Survivor Series I enjoyed is the 2014 one. Dolph overcame the odds, Sting debuted, The Authority got fired, THERE WAS A FUCKING STORYLINE GOING ON THERE. That was the last Survivor Series main event that ACTUALLY TOLD A GOOD STORY.

These days Survivor Series makes me feel bad that I still follow WWE. This is exactly how I felt after last year's event too.
But....Raw jobbed tonight more than any team. They only got one win..... Smackdown at least had two.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Men's Traditional Survivor Series match was MotN though.
:Wat?

Just because Keith Lee got to shine and eliminated Rollins?

Walter, Owens and Strowman's eliminations is exactly what I meant about the trash we get beforehand, you get shitty booking like that which spoils the match.

And we also have to endure the likes of Ricochet, Ali and Shorty G who have no business being in this kind of match, Vince has turned those three into absolute jokes.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,459 Posts
Survivor Series has always been a stupid concept, the stories in WWE don't interweave in a way where everyone on each team has a stake in the match, it doesn't matter if it's individual teams or brand vs brand. It was a gimmick that worked in the early days when we didn't get random multi man tags every other week.

Now all SvS does is tease us with epic matchups that we're never actually going to get to see. Do you really think you're going to get Walter vs Drew or Keith Lee vs Braun on ppv?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I thought the men’s team elimination match was good except for WALTER getting eliminated first. That was ridiculous. The rest was fine-I like a few surprises although I think everyone knew Rollins and Reigns would be in the end.

·
Registered
245 Posts
its dead because they added the brand concept into it. old school survivor series was great because it usually feature two top feuding acts picking their team over a few weeks with some tension and dissension among the teammate and new feuds being created out of the match. Similar to what happen with team ripley. Than the match gave young and fresh talent to shine or be a wild card because it was their first opportunity on the big stage like rocky mavia and the undertaker.

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
16,202 Posts
The concept has been dead for years. Even in 2014 when Ziggler survived. A month later they didn't do shit with the story being told in the event. Team Authority still was in effect. Survivor Series doesn't continue stories, just halt them . This whole brand vs brand vs brand concept is so overly done since 2016. It's boring and pointless. There is no stakes being told and there wasn't even one in the history of the pay per view. This was the last one I ever watch from WWE. Only them that can kill the whole vibe and feel of the event.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I disagree with Survivor Series being a dead concept. I actually love it. However, the execution has not been good for a while. I think adding the third brand under the current format does really hurt it, but that is booking.

The lead up to Survivor Series is more annoying than the show. Every good match has a run-in from another brand and ends in a no-decision. Just let us have some good matches. There was at least one episode of RAW where every match ended in a no finish. It was annoying and I actually stopped watching the Raw & Smackdown because of it.

Survivor Series COULD still be amazing if they actually booked it right. That is the challenge though. Just give us the dream encounters we want. We don't always need a long match between guys. Give us Walter vs. McIntyre for a solid few minutes. Give us Keith Lee vs. Braun Strowman for a bit and let us enjoy it.

And great SS matches usually end with a 10-minute one-on-one match between two people. I have to go way way way back, but SS 2001 was another Rock vs. Stone Cold match at the end of it and it was great.

For this show, the point was to make NXT look strong compared to AEW. The issue is booking did it at the expense of Raw and Smackdown stars. There was no real reason to have Roderick Strong win when Shinsuke Nakamura was desperate for a huge victory like this. No reason to have Shayna Baszler win when Bayley is desperate for legitimacy. The run back in by the NXT women killed the great feeling for another Rhea Ripley against all odds win. She's the future IMO but they watered her epic success down big time.

So it's booking not the concept to me.

As for adding a third brand and why it is detrimental...too many moving parts and hard to follow. None of the matches could shine because it was difficult to focus on key aspects with so many people and it is impossible to intertwine that many people into the storyline of one match.

I wanted Styles vs. Nakamura again in a different sort of setting of a match. I didn't need Roderick Strong in there...especially not winning.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
These things need consequences. If I win King of the Ring I want a title shot and some special advantage in that shot for being "King". I don't want to look like the Burger King mascot who doesn't have a title.

The three brands randomly become SUPER fiercely competitive and... Why? The winners get nothing. No advantage no reason to want to win. It's arbitrary. Inventing compelling stakes would just take like a ten minute brainstorming session.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by WALTER being eliminated the way he was. Have you not seen any European guys under Vince before? He has no clue what to do with them besides make them job. It's like he's mad about WWII even though he was born like a week before it ended.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts