• Total voters
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me

Cena-
An amazing feud with Batista in the first half of the year.

The Cena vs Nexus feud

Cena joins Nexus.It completely overshadowed the fact that someone as over as Randy'RKO' Orton.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
I'll agree with Cena too.

From his involvement with Bret Hart earlier in the year, the feud with Batista, then the Nexus angle, he's basically been in the spotlight and had the most interesting feuds on Raw.

Smackdown has been crap for the most part so I'm not going to even bother mentioning it.

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
Pointless Orton bashing. Of all things you could've mentioned you....nevermind. I forgot people are still hating Orton.

Anyhow, I'm going Cena as well. Any point of 2010 you can discuss, Cena was always involved in the best of what was happening.
Persevering of course, and entertaining me when kindly enough, I was NEVER a Cena fan to begin with. I actually kinda like the guy now.
His matches were better, promos as well (the Roddy Piper joint certainly helped although he delivered it) and the involvement with Nexus, though could've been better, was always something to look forward to in order to see what happened next. Regardless if you liked what was happening or not.

On a side note, had Barrett become champion at Night of Champions and defended up until now (Nexus interference or not) I'd choose him

·
Undergoing a gimmick change.
2,385 Posts
John Cena. He's had just 2 feuds this year, Batista and Nexus. And BOTH are candidates for feud of the year 2010. The Miz should be an honourable mention due to his first WWE Championship win amongst winning Money in The Bank and his performances on Raw and NXT. Wade Barrett is a close 3rd place for me, his debut has been superb. Throw Sheamus in there too.

Smackdown has been poor in terms of superstars performances. Big Show stands out during this face run, but he's past the point of relevance.

·
Asuka
96,362 Posts
If you want to go with who had the real best year, then it's John Cena every single year, with no exceptions, but that's too easy. Why even have it then? Superstar Of The Year should be used to put somebody over, like with Jericho in 2008. Give it to The Miz. He's held the tag titles, US title, Money In The Bank and the WWE Championship in the last year, which is a great resume. Nobody else this year has held everything available to them, and particularly now that he's WWE Champion, you might as well give him the rub. He gets everything else, he does more promotional work than I can even count.

Wade Barrett should win Breakout Star Of The Year, but he can't be in the running for Superstar Of The Year. He hasn't won anything. He's a good bet for 2011, though, he should be up for an excellent 2011, complete with a WWE Championship reign.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,819 Posts
It's too bad they wastefully gave it to Cena last year (in a silly four-man tournament--during which he squashed CM Punk like he was Zack Ryder--ugh!), because it probably should have been CM Punk last year, or Randy Orton, or possibly Chris Jericho again (between Punk's MITB run, through his feud with Jeff Hardy, it's enough material for him to be strongly considered, Orton because of his massive heel push from January through the next ten months of the year as kind of the de facto top figure on the Raw brand throughout that entire stretch and Jericho went from his Legends feud to his great feud with Rey Mysterio to revitalizing the Tag Team Championship). The first stretch of 2009 or so was Cena at his most directionless as a main-eventer since getting to the big-time in my estimation. We've talked a lot about Orton being the MacGuffin in the Cena/Nexus struggle this fall, but in early 2009, it was Cena playing the MacGuffin role in other people's feuds. They used him as the centerpiece of the power struggle between JBL and HBK early on, then threw him into his most uninvolving Wrestlemania program as part of the love triangle with Edge, Big Show and Vickie. They used that catapult him into one last final program with Edge, which was okay, but had a very distinct "been there, done that five million times" feel to it. Then there was his gloriously epic feud with Big Show, which yielded such great masterpieces at Judgment Day and Extreme Rules. (One rule of the 'net is you have to spell it out when you're being sarcastic. I am.)

Honestly, the only thing that was interesting about Cena in the first half of '09 was The Miz calling him out over and over, and his interactions (which were very, very few) with Miz. That was WWE creative using Cena in an unusual way, to get some guy airtime, mic time and promotion time, and we've just now seen the culmination of that once-small snowball beginning to fall down the cliff for Miz.

The latter half of 2009 was better for Cena, but, yeah, you guessed it, his feud was with Randy Orton. Even by that point that feud had felt played out, but WWE went to the well once more, and it gave us one of each guy's worst match ever at Summerslam, but they followed it up at Breaking Point with an instant classic "I Quit." Hell in a Cell was decent, Bragging Rights was an overbooked, contrived Iron Man but both guys still gave solid performances. After that, you had one of the worst builds to a WWE Championship match ever with Cena taking on both members of DX in a triple threat at Survivor Series.

As for drawing emotion and getting Cena back on his A-game, people underrate the Sheamus elevation in late Nov.-early Dec. Some of those promos of Cena confronting Sheamus still linger for me. Obviously the first confrontation the night Sheamus won the Battle Royale to become #1 contender with Jesse Ventura there, with Jesse talking about the "conspiracy" of Cena being promoted as The Top Guy; and the next week, with Carlito confronting Cena over much the same; and finally the week after that which concluded with an excellent promo between both men during which Cena stole the show speaking in almost martyr's language about all of the sacrifices he's given to be where he is, etceteras. It was some of the best foreshadowing of a Cena heel turn ever (the Nexus stuff is great but ironically he's farther away from turning heel right now than he has been in a while because Barrett is assuming the top heel role, and Cena's war against Nexus even while a technical member is nothing short of heroic).

So, what I'm saying is that they kind of blew it when they gave the 2009 Superstar of the Year award to Cena. And I say that because he has been, without a shadow of a doubt, the Superstar of the Year of 2010. This has been his richest, most fulfilling, most daring and challenging year in a long time. No longer stuck in that three-headed merry-go-round of futility with Cena/Triple H/Orton from '09, no longer just kind of resembling a de facto placeholder of sorts at the very top, Cena's been redefined and digging down deep throughout the entirety of this whole year. From his confrontation with Vince, involvement with Bret Hart, fantastic feud with Batista, to his giving Evan Bourne a rub, to most definitively his feud with Nexus, this really has been Cena's year. Somebody in WWE creative realized that they had had him primarily treading water for most of 2009. 2010's Superstar of the Year is definitely Cena.

Also, you it's storyline milk and honey because it presents the quandary of how to present a fired guy the Superstar of the Year award. Delicious irony, yeah!

·
18,819 Posts
Technically, I think Barrett will and should be in the "Breakout Star" category, since 2010 is (believe it or not!) his debut year.

And he'll probably just eek out the win against Alberto Del Rio. This is like Sean Penn vs. Mickey Rourke!

·
Asuka
96,362 Posts
Technically, I think Barrett will and should be in the "Breakout Star" category, since 2010 is (believe it or not!) his debut year.

And he'll probably just eek out the win against Alberto Del Rio. This is like Sean Penn vs. Mickey Rourke!
I don't see him "just eeking out the win". Del Rio is great, but comparing his rookie year to Barrett's is like comparing Mcintyre's to Sheamus's last year. Del Rio is not even close to the level he's at.

It's a shame though, they both deserve it.

·
18,819 Posts
I don't see him "just eeking out the win". Del Rio is great, but comparing his rookie year to Barrett's is like comparing Mcintyre's to Sheamus's last year. Del Rio is not even close to the level he's at.

It's a shame though, they both deserve it.
You're right, Barrett's impact has been absolutely thunderous and Del Rio's, while solid, hasn't even begun to match up to it. Barrett's been headlining pay-per-views since summer while Del Rio shows up in the middle of a PPV if at all.

I just think they'll try their best to depict it as a reasonable "close" win for Barrett against Del Rio. They may very well give Del Rio something else for compensation, though I'm not sure what at the moment.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts