Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001. The year that many consider the peak of the World Wrestling Federation as they finally triumphed against their long time rival World Championship Wrestling and put on what many consider to be the greatest show in wrestling history--Wrestlemania 17.

With the 10 year anniversary of Wrestlemania 17, it has almost been a decade since the end of the Monday Night Wars and what many consider to be the most exciting time period in wrestling history. With WCW out of the equation, though, television ratings began to decline as the excitement of competition wore off due to poor writing and a less interesting product.

Fast forward to November 2010. The main stars of today were either spawning or no where to be seen 10 years ago. The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Triple H, The New Age Outlaws, Kane and The Undertaker. The Undertaker, Kane and Triple H are the only remaining stars of the era past, and their time seems to be on the horizon as well.

Today, WWE has been fairly successful in creating a new generation of stars. John Cena is the franchise of WWE. Without Cena, the product is infinitely less interesting and the ratings correlate with that. People pay to see John Cena come through the curtain. He's one of the only stars in WWE that has this effect. Cena began his meteoric rise to the top in 2002 when he debuted against Kurt Angle. Coincidentally, Cena was the only person not named Randy Orton who they didn't make a mistake with. With a rush of stars from WCW and ECW in the WWE, the company refused to acknowledge that the stars were becoming older. Although these stars were capable of providing exciting matches and drawing PPV buys, as the Monday Night Wars became more distant, the star power began to fade as well. Stars like Scott Steiner, DDP, Goldberg and Kevin Nash were all sorely misused. Other stars such as RVD and Booker T weren't given the right opportunities to become mega stars in a time when creating a star shouldn't have been a problem.

The two stars that did emerge from the era aren't surprising--John Cena and Randy Orton. Both debuted in 2002 and both made different initial impacts. Cena debuted against Kurt Angle- a huge benefactor to his career. Immediately he was established as someone who can hang with the best. Many questioned who this kid was, but it created a shock and a buzz that Cena grew on in the months to come before he found his infamous rapping persona which skyrocketed him to the top.

Randy Orton had a slightly different path. From the RNN News updates Orton grew in popularity before finally being incorporated into Evolution. This gave Orton the rub from Ric Flair and Triple H, mega stars in the decade prior. Orton scored meaningful victories over Shawn Michaels(Unforgiven 2003, Survivor Series 2003), Rob Van Dam(Armageddon 2003), Mick Foley(Backlash 2004) and Chris Benoit(2004) to solidify himself as a top talent.

In a time when the talent pool was ripe with people waiting for similar opportunities because of the Attitude Era, WWE missed the boat on what could have and should have been a new breed of exciting stars that would have brought WWE into 2002 and beyond without rehashing and recycling the same 6-8 stars in the main events over the course of the next several years until the middle of 2004.

With the deaths of Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit opening many eyes in the wrestling industry, the product began to change to become a more clean era. The transition to HD, the implementation of drug testing and the switch to PG in 2008 signaled a new beginning in WWE. A new beginning that was marked with something that only 8 years earlier would have seemed impossible.

Arenas that weren't selling out. Lower ratings. Declining PPV buy rates. Minimal crowd reaction. The growing popularity of UFC.

With Shawn Michaels retiring early in 2010, The Undertaker, Kane, The Big Show, Edge, Rey Mysterio and Triple H's health all in question--along with the departures of stars such as Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle--the need for talent was imminent. And WWE did something beginning in February of 2010 that should have been incorporated much earlier. NXT.

From this time, Wade Barrett and the Nexus have become one of the most powerful entities in the WWE. This is due to strong booking-- an incredible initial impact and something fresh in the product. New stars, new life, more exciting programs. Daniel Bryan is now the US Champion and The Miz has emerged as a budding star. Sheamus has become a credible heel as stars such as Alberto Del Rio, "Dashing" Cody Rhodes, Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler and Drew McIntyre are all beginning to make an impact on Smackdown! For the first time in years, the WWE has a crop of stars that have a bright future.

But there's a problem. There's not one person on the roster not named The Undertaker or John Cena who can currently elevate a star to the level of superstardom. Triple H has done it numerous times, but being as he's on the shelf and apparently pretty comfortable in the office, he probably isn't returning in the near future.

Kane? Yeah, he may be able to do a good job. But instead of building a star with the newly dominant Kane, they're feuding him with Edge and Undertaker--two stars who can also be used to elevate newer talents.

One of the things WWE can do to help keep feuds fresh is to reduce the number of PPV's per year so as to make feuds more important and not rush them. It will cut down on the exposure between the two stars, keep matches fresh and make the matches more emotional as storylines can play out on TV instead of ending with a DQ on a PPV before having to pay for it again the following month to finally see the conclusion. That kills two birds with on stone as fans will have less PPV's to choose from and will be more apt to purchase a PPV once every 2 months.

Another way to increase viewership is to introduce reduce priced online streaming of PPV events. For $9.95-$19.95 a pop, more viewers will be apt to purchase a streamed show and watch online as opposed to the hefty price tag on TV. It will also allow WWE to hire technicians to crack down on illegal streaming as people can scout down streams and kill them before they gather several thousand viewers. Small advertisements on the website and stream itself can help to cover the lower price. Of course, the traditional PPV purchase will still be available for those who prefer to stay traditional.

Ratings are also a topic I see brought up on this forum a lot. People talk on and on for pages debating if a rating is good or bad. As has been stated countless times, the 3.0 number is irrelevant. The viewership number is what's important. About the same amount of viewers watch the WWE as they did during the Attitude Era, however there aren't as many fans that people on this board see because they're currently not attending an elementary or middle school. Which, of course, is their target demographic. As they grow, though, so should the product. With the growth of the product, the return to an edgier product will commence in order to retain the audience in which they've spent the past several years building. Suddenly, WWE will once again be all the rage. WWE shirts may even be as popular as UFC shirts are today if they continue to adapt the product properly and bring it into the 21st century with some of the innovative marketing ideas.

Most people won't read this entire post. For those who do, it may be like preaching to the choir. WWE isn't in a bad state, rather in a period that isn't what you remember as a child. I'm not defending the writing or storylines--because with the exception of one or two major storylines right now there isn't anything compelling to me. With Wrestlemania looming, though, it's imperative that they begin building now and making every match count for something in order to generate a buy rate that's expected. Things should begin to become interesting.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I forgot to ask the questions. Sorry

1.) Do you feel that WWE should take on a new business model?
2.) What changes would you like to see WWE make in the coming months/years?
3.) Is there room for another brand?
4.) What do you think should be done to elicit more of a reaction from the crowd?

·
Registered
603 Posts
The challenge is that crowds are so dead these days because of the kids how is somebody suppose to get over?? There were so many stars in the 90s and now in the 10s I see barely any talent.

For the fight fans of the 80s & 90s, MMA is the new monthly PPV fix. Despite what everyone says MMA is the new wrestling PERIOD. So many people training to become MMA fighters these days its incredible. Some of the same guys who would be going into wrestling now go into MMA. Does it not mean a thing to this forum if Stone Cold, The Rock, Undertaker etc are huge MMA fans??? Even the latter 2 claiming they would do MMA instead of wrestling now if they could go back.

Whether or not anyone admits it during the 80s & early 90s people watched wrestling as if it was real.....later 90s & early 00s there was a lot of entertainment and wrestling was taken seriously. Enter MMA late 00s.... now this is where people go to watch fights now.

Demographics don't lie, UFC's key demographic is WWE's key demographic during attitude era.

If WWE's only mean to stay alive is to target kids then ironically this is their demise. Even PG shows on cable networks are a lot more edgier then RAW.

WWE is scared sh*tless to market toward adults because the key demographics have moved on to MMA... If they abandon the kids what do they have left?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Maybe,but as they are mostly relieing on merch,I don't think they'll change. I wish they went back to the 07 model of doing business.

More impact,more agressivness,more hyping. Making things exciting instead of relieing on subjects as "Will John Cena get fired or get out of Nexus" to sell a PPV (not that I disliked the PPV) I miss making everything mater,I miss not having an IC title match with a guy who is epic but only got one win in all of his career. Remember the IC Feud of The Rock Vs HHH? That made the strap mater.

Nope,they show'd that it isn't eliminating ECW. They should make the two brands they already have better before they add a new one.

4.) What do you think should be done to elicit more of a reaction from the crowd?
Making the scenario as epic as possible = Hype the hell out of the PPVs + Vocal Croud = EPIC Reaction
They already show'd that,they don't need an AE to do that,they need quality.
Oh,and give the kids in the audience two packs of sugar before they enter the arena. That should be enough

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I love how you didn't mention Batista even once when he's clearly one of the biggest stars of the decade, he was clearly bigger than Orton in 2005-2007.

No, there is no room for another brand, WWE's roster isn't as big as it was in 2002 and even with the brand split SmackDown! usually gets the short end of the stick. ECW, as we all know, failed as a 3rd brand.
There's enough WWE on television.

It's simple how to make the crowd excited, push charismatic wrestlers, as much as I dislike Cena he is pretty charismatic and the fans clearly have interest in him. Also, make storylines engaging and interesting, don't build up just the main event matches but the rest of the PPV card as well, why the hell did WWE stop doing this?

A new business model? What, you mean return to TV 14? I'm affraid the rating isn't the problem here, if only it was that simple.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I'm just gonna quickly comment upon the 'crowd reaction' bit. How do we get a better crowd reaction today...the thing is, there isn't a heck of a lot they can do to make them as loud as they were back in the attitude era. They could create storylines to makes us more interested in certain other guys on the roster (not main evnet type guys) because right now, there's the main event and...not much more to get the crowd interested after that.

But I don't think that the crowd reaction is going to be as big as it was while the company is geared towards youngsters. Its probably good for business, but it doesn't create a good atmosphere mosst of the time. Not because of the kids, but because of the families who take the kids. They aren't wrestling fans, they only come so the kids can see the show. Therefore for every hyperactive, loud, child fan, there's also one or two adults who don't give a crap.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love how you didn't mention Batista even once when he's clearly one of the biggest stars of the decade, he was clearly bigger than Orton in 2005-2007.

No, there is no room for another brand, WWE's roster isn't as big as it was in 2002 and even with the brand split SmackDown! usually gets the short end of the stick. ECW, as we all know, failed as a 3rd brand.

It's simple how to make the crowd excited, push charismatic wrestlers, as much as I dislike Cena he is pretty charismatic and the fans clearly have interest in him. Also, make storylines engaging and interesting, don't build up just the main event matches but the rest of the PPV card as well, why the hell did WWE stop doing this?

A new business model? What, you mean return to TV 14? I'm affraid the rating isn't the problem here, if only it was that simple.
He was a huge commodity that I admittedly overlooked. Batista isn't with the company any longer, though, and was older when he came onto the scene. He also was a genetic freak and had the special look.

I think crowds reacting poorly has a lot to do with the writing. I never feel the need if I attend a WWE show(Which admittedly is 2-3 times in the past year, so not much) to cheer for anyone or anything except Nexus or some things involving Cena. There aren't many captivating storylines.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
I don't pretend to be a businessman so I'm not going to say 'WWE needs to do this' or whatever (although would it kill them to cut down the number of PPVs?), but as a wrestling fan the dead crowds these days are fucking killing the shows for me.

Survivor Series had a good crowd, and it was awesome to see guys like Danielson get such a huge pop when he made DiBiase tap out. Just in general though, crowds have sucked for a long-ass time now. I don't know if all these guys saying 'LOL blame teh kids!1' are right or what anymore. I'll defend the PG era til I'm blue in the face... fingers? but I can't deny that during the Attitude Era where the crowd was primarily made up of adolescents and adults, they were a lot more vocal and made the shows what they were. Today though, all the kids do indeed seem a little shy about doing what fans are actually supposed to do - making some fucking noise.

I'm planning on going to Wrestlemania 28, and I can promise you all that if I do, I simply will not shut the fuck up all night. I'd be going apeshit to be at Mania live in person.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I don't pretend to be a businessman so I'm not going to say 'WWE needs to do this' or whatever (although would it kill them to cut down the number of PPVs?), but as a wrestling fan the dead crowds these days are fucking killing the shows for me.

Survivor Series had a good crowd, and it was awesome to see guys like Danielson get such a huge pop when he made DiBiase tap out. Just in general though, crowds have sucked for a long-ass time now. I don't know if all these guys saying 'LOL blame teh kids!1' are right or what anymore. I'll defend the PG era til I'm blue in the face... fingers? but I can't deny that during the Attitude Era where the crowd was primarily made up of adolescents and adults, they were a lot more vocal and made the shows what they were. Today though, all the kids do indeed seem a little shy about doing what fans are actually supposed to do - making some fucking noise.

I'm planning on going to Wrestlemania 28, and I can promise you all that if I do, I simply will not shut the fuck up all night. I'd be going apeshit to be at Mania live in person.
That's why the shows in England are always worth watching, and there was also that time WWE went to Italy in 2006/2007(can't remember) and the crowd was pretty good too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Maybe you should have read the first post because it's clearly indicated in the post what I meant by the new business model in terms of PPV and television.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Maybe you should have read the first post because it's clearly indicated in the post what I meant by the new business model in terms of PPV and television.
I clearly understood. That comment was more directed to those who think that PG is the root of all problems when it clearly isn't.

I don't think the WWE needs a new business model, other than cutting down on PPVs(12 would be perfect) and building them up well instead of jsut building up the main events and the rest a bit lazily.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Vince woke up one morning realised that Shawn is gone, Undertaker is on his way out and Triple H is vying for a executive position and shouted out "OH SHIT! I haven't made any new stars" so he hit the panic button, gave us NXT and they still dont know how to make stars becasue they are never gonna have these guys get over CLEANLY and make them look STRONG and SUPERIOR to these over the hill roadies who have too much pride to bow out like should and instead want to be remembered by the uncaring current fans long after they're gone instead of forgotten to these new guys who will be your present in the next two years

Im sorry but the wrong man won the monday night wars

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
Vince woke up one morning realised that Shawn is gone, Undertaker is on his way out and Triple H is vying for a executive position and shouted out "OH SHIT! I haven't made any new stars" so he hit the panic button, gave us NXT and they still dont know how to make stars becasue they are never gonna have these guys get over CLEANLY and make them look STRONG and SUPERIOR to these over the hill roadies who have too much pride to bow out like should and instead want to be remembered by the current fans instead of forgotten to these guys who will be your present in the next two years
uhhhh NXT and the new star initiative started befor Shawn left dood...

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
A diva should be Wwe Champion by now like forreal. Wwe is so sexist.
nah i think it was the revealing outfits and them being clearly undertrained that did that first

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
1.Partially , make PPVs cost in the $10-$20 range and watch the sales fly and result in more viewers and money
2.I'd like to see Jamie Keyes rehired , Wade Barrett as WWE champion , and R-Truth go back to his old song , just to name a few
3.Technically yes , but if they couldn't keep NXT on air how do you suppose they would do that with another new show? If there was it should be a strictly divas show & add a midcard title for the women
4.I have no fucking idea , kids cried when Cena joined Nexus... is that not enough of a reaction?

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
1.Partially , make PPVs cost in the $10-$20 range and watch the sales fly and result in more viewers and money
I'm all for cheaper shit, but thinking that the sales would 'fly' and result in more money by making PPV prices like a third of what they are now is pretty laughable stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts