Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
6,000 Posts
Watched them all one time and can honestly say i fell asleep out of boredom in almost all of them, i really don't see the big deal in the old school ones, and they got progressively worse
The original film (and the second to a lesser degree) is one of the most influential films in movie history. It's OK if you don't like it, but to not see its technical brilliance and storytelling betrays a complete lack of understanding of movies. That's OK, though. I don't know shit about classical art and can easily dismiss an all-time work as simplistic and ugly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The original film (and the second to a lesser degree) is one of the most influential films in movie history. It's OK if you don't like it, but to not see its technical brilliance and storytelling betrays a complete lack of understanding of movies. That's OK, though. I don't know shit about classical art and can easily dismiss an all-time work as simplistic and ugly.
I have never gotten the big deal about them compared to other series or trilogies, they can't hold a candle to Godfather, first 3 Terminators (Rise against machine is underrated), or LOTR

·
6,000 Posts
I have never gotten the big deal about them compared to other series or trilogies, they can't hold a candle to Godfather, first 3 Terminators (Rise against machine is underrated), or LOTR
Totally fair, though let's keep in mind that those trilogies aren't perfect either. LOTR is very good overall but certainly not for everyone (too nerdy for me), Terminator 3 is fine but nothing special, and the less said about Godfather 3 the better.

puts on nerdy film degree hat

I'm not a Star Wars guy. They're fun movies, some are better than others, but I'm not a devotee by any means.

That said, even if they're not in your wheelhouse, the first movie (and the second to a degree) are incredibly important and influential. If you've enjoyed special effects in any movie made since 1977, tip your cap to Lucas and Star Wars. It was an incredibly groundbreaking film that absolutely redefined how movies could look and feel. There are more technical achievements in that first film than I can count. In a way, it's similar to Citizen Kane; even if it's not a movie you enjoy or want to watch 50 times, you can't discount the degree to which it's influenced countless movies you've enjoyed.

Still in all, you're allowed to not like it. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Totally fair, though let's keep in mind that those trilogies aren't perfect either. LOTR is very good overall but certainly not for everyone (too nerdy for me), Terminator 3 is fine but nothing special, and the less said about Godfather 3 the better.

puts on nerdy film degree hat

I'm not a Star Wars guy. They're fun movies, some are better than others, but I'm not a devotee by any means.

That said, even if they're not in your wheelhouse, the first movie (and the second to a degree) are incredibly important and influential. If you've enjoyed special effects in any movie made since 1977, tip your cap to Lucas and Star Wars. It was an incredibly groundbreaking film that absolutely redefined how movies could look and feel. There are more technical achievements in that first film than I can count. In a way, it's similar to Citizen Kane; even if it's not a movie you enjoy or want to watch 50 times, you can't discount the degree to which it's influenced countless movies you've enjoyed.

Still in all, you're allowed to not like it. :)

If we are going to talk technical achievements of movies from the 70s, exorcist blows them all away imo

·
6,000 Posts
If we are going to talk technical achievements of movies from the 70s, exorcist blows them all away imo
Not to be blunt, but that's simply not true. Exorcist did have some cool innovations, it's true, but it's nothing anywhere close to what they did with Star Wars. Not even a little close, if we're being honest. Read on if you'd like to learn more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not to be blunt, but that's simply not true. Exorcist did have some cool innovations, it's true, but it's nothing anywhere close to what they did with Star Wars. Not even a little close, if we're being honest. Read on if you'd like to learn more.

we can agree to disagree there, that first picture alone has something that had already been done once with Star Trek TOS, whereas exorcist took realistic effects to the next level. Take a look at the battle of hoth vs Regans floating bed scene and tell me which one holds up.

·
6,000 Posts
we can agree to disagree there, that first picture alone has something that had already been done once with Star Trek TOS, whereas exorcist took realistic effects to the next level. Take a look at the battle of hoth vs Regans floating bed scene and tell me which one holds up.
Yep, agree to disagree.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
11,271 Posts
Star Trek >>>>>>Star Wars

I actually like both, but, I am a bigger fan of Star Trek. Captain Kirk and Bones are bosses.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Star Trek >>>>>>Star Wars

I actually like both, but, I am a bigger fan of Star Trek. Captain Kirk and Bones are bosses.
You had me at first, but I personally think of the original series as the worst one. Actually, maybe tied with Discovery. (Yeah, I liked Enterprise heh)

·
Listen. No really, LISTEN.
5,564 Posts
The original trilogy speaks for itself.

The prequels, though admittedly a disappointment at first, became more enjoyable as the books in the EU filled in the gaps and enriched the lacking storylines.

The sequel trilogy is bad fan fiction. I look forward to it being removed from canon one day with the EU being restored to its former prominence.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Ehhh… i‘m not much of a fan of any of it

even the original trilogy 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I’m a big Star Wars fan. Episode IV-A New Hope is one of my favorite movies ever. From the originality of the story to the cool characters to the special effects and finally the awesome score. Here’s how I rank the movies.

1. Episode IV-A New Hope
2. Episode V-The Empire Strikes Back
3. Rogue One
4. Episode VI-Return of the Jedi
5. Episode VII-The Force Awakens
6. Episode III-Revenge of the Sith
7. Episode I-The Phantom Menace
8. Episode VIII-The Last Jedi
9. Solo: A Star Wars Story
10: Episode II- Attack of the Clones
11. Episode IX- The Rise of Skywalker

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Starwars is now overrated because they never really evolved (atleast not outside the movies). My favorite of all time is Episode III I love that movie, but when Disney took over they injected their poison to just try to milk the franchise by trying to aim on kids and no story. The last jedi was horrible I couldn't stand it and the last one was pretty weak. Starwars lacks good writing overall. Although I heard a lot of good things of the Mandalorian I yet to see it and give it a shot.

Before you could tell me Starwars was overrated I would totally disagree with you, but now I would agree with you.

·
Registered
13,989 Posts
The Last Jedi gets way too much hate. It was an attempt to be different. I think the structure of that movie would have been better suited for an anthology entry like Rogue One than being part of the main trilogy. Last Jedi introduced so much more to the universe of the new trilogy with new Force powers, killing the Big Bad doesn't solve all conflict, the Force isn't exclusive to a select few. Most importantly it gave us an out from the Skywalkers saga.

It could have been a set up for a great ending to a trilogy with no Big Bad and just a conflict between two young force users. But then Disney got spooked by negative reception to Last Jedi and gave us a Frankenstein monster of fan service for almost every demo they could think of in the Rise of Skywalker and buried any potential to salvage the trilogy.

Guardians of the Galaxy were better Star Wars movies for this generation anyway.
I couldn't disagree more.

Last Jedi provided no narrative advancement, in fact it cut off every narrative thread at the knees and created major problems that will have to be addressed in future movies to keep near fifty years of world building from collapsing in on itself.

It is one of the most poorly written screenplays in the history of film, to the extent it should be used as a model of how not to tell a story.

There were plenty of ways out of the Skywalker Saga without shitting on and destroying the Skywalkers.

Last Jedi is an abomination.

Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy should be drawn and quartered for their actions.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
I couldn't disagree more.

Last Jedi provided no narrative advancement, in fact it cut off every narrative thread at the knees and created major problems that will have to be addressed in future movies to keep near fifty years of world building from collapsing in on itself.

It is one of the most poorly written screenplays in the history of film, to the extent it should be used as a model of how not to tell a story.

There were plenty of ways out of the Skywalker Saga without shitting on and destroying the Skywalkers.

Last Jedi is an abomination.

Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy should be drawn and quartered for their actions.
50 years of world building to who? It is only 9 movies for casuals who only watches the movies. Maybe 10 or 11 if one counts the non-main franchise movies. Also how can you say Last Jedi provided no narrative advancement after quoting what I posted on what that movie introduced? You could argue they did a poor job of addressing the first movie, but you can't say they didn't close the narrative threads or provide new ones. It was Rise that completely ignored the narrative thread from the Last Jedi that made the whole trilogy a mess.

·
rasslin
7,700 Posts
Last Jedi was great and they fucked the new trilogy over by pandering to whiny fan boys and making the biggest heap of shit known as last skywalker.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Last Jedi was great and they fucked the new trilogy over by pandering to whiny fan boys and making the biggest heap of shit known as last skywalker.
To be fair, rise of skywalker also pandered to SJW fans of the last Jedi too. That movie was just a hot mess.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts