Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say this as someone who is a fan of the Original Trilogy. The first three movies are some seriously great pieces of cinema, but everything after that is kind of shit. People have been wearing rose tinted glasses about the Prequel Trilogy a lot over the years saying how they're just as good as the Originals or they're good films, when these same people were trashing them the moment they came out. The Prequels are still terrible films, all 3 of them are terrible, Episode 3 has some entertainment value to it but it's still a bad film. The amount of lazy storytelling, bad script writing and bad acting is what makes the prequels so terrible. The Sequels suck too, I didn't actually mind The Force Awakens, probably because it's a remake of A New Hope. Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker are just boring, nothing special about em, I can't even call them bad, just boring pieces of cinema, although I do think people overreact about how it's a big deal that Disney have "killed" the franchise with the sequels, who cares mate, it's a movie at the end of the day.

While the first three are fine, I feel the whole series itself is extremely overhyped, it's space politics and space fighting, it's not some amazing idea.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
The Last Jedi gets way too much hate. It was an attempt to be different. I think the structure of that movie would have been better suited for an anthology entry like Rogue One than being part of the main trilogy. Last Jedi introduced so much more to the universe of the new trilogy with new Force powers, killing the Big Bad doesn't solve all conflict, the Force isn't exclusive to a select few. Most importantly it gave us an out from the Skywalkers saga.

It could have been a set up for a great ending to a trilogy with no Big Bad and just a conflict between two young force users. But then Disney got spooked by negative reception to Last Jedi and gave us a Frankenstein monster of fan service for almost every demo they could think of in the Rise of Skywalker and buried any potential to salvage the trilogy.

Guardians of the Galaxy were better Star Wars movies for this generation anyway.

·
rasslin
7,700 Posts
I haven’t been looking at a lot of online chatter about Star Wars recently but back in my day most people hated the prequels.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
6,000 Posts
Star Wars is all over the place as a franchise. The original three are like the Nolan Batman trilogy: good, REALLY GOOD, and "it'll do." The prequels are disastrously bad. Rogue One is good, Solo is abominable. As for the third group of "core" films, they follow the same line as the original three but a notch below. Force Awakens is fine, Last Jedi is quite good, and Rise of Skywalker is bad-to-horrendous.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
The original trilogy I thought was great. Of course I saw it for the first time when I was a kid so why wouldn't I love it. The prequel trilogy was good, but could have been so much better. The sequel trilogy is where it really fell off a cliff. The Force Awakens was just ok, it was more fan service if anything. And then we get to that god awful dumpster fire that was The Last Jedi. That movie was so disappointing. I remember coming out of the theater and thinking that the best part of it was the Infinity War trailer at the beginning. It made me lose interest in the franchise, and I still haven't seen The Rise of Skywalker and have no interest either.

Reactions: Pratchett

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
16,015 Posts
They all suck and I've seen them all. Even the originals. I never understood the hype. Same with Harry Potter. Garbage.

The only one I liked was Rogue One. That movie was phenomenal.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
They all suck and I've seen them all. Even the originals. I never understood the hype. Same with Harry Potter. Garbage.

The only one I liked was Rogue One. That movie was phenomenal.
Same here. Rogue One was amazing to me. Funny that it was also the most distant from any of the usual Star Wars bs.

·
Premium Member
17,621 Posts
Well, if you're only looking at Star wars based on the 9 movies you're missing out on some of the best content. The 9 movies are probably over hyped. I don't feel so, but I can entertain the argument.

The first (episode 4) is a rather choppy film with loop holes. Nostalgia is the only thing that holds up. The prequels were weak to bad. The sequels started strong, served their purpose to bring on new fans while satisfying old, then TLJ killed it and popularized a negative view of the whole series (rightfully so, it was that bad).

Watch the cartoons, read a book, and play a game. All the lore together is very rewarding.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
People have been wearing rose tinted glasses about the Prequel Trilogy a lot over the years saying how they're just as good as the Originals or they're good films, when these same people were trashing them the moment they came out. The Prequels are still terrible films, all 3 of them are terrible, Episode 3 has some entertainment value to it but it's still a bad film.
Who on what planet have people said the prequels are anything but stinky horsehit? I need names and addresses so I can send letter bombs. I've only heard a slight minority saying the 3rd one is ok but it might be the best of an awful bunch.

I grew up with the originals and loved them all, just apart from the teddy bears on Endor. Take them out of it and that might've been the best one of the three.

Loved the Force Awakens, told a great story and it was smart in making it a tribute/copy of New Hope. The dichotomy of Rey being this 'rookie' being stronger in the force than Kylo, the highly trained Sith Lord, was brilliant. Had a great sense of humor too.

The next one ruined everything and god himself couldn't have saved the trilogy from then on.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The original trilogy, particularly the first - episode 4, were great films. When you look at what else was happening at the time, it was so far ahead.
The prequels and sequels weren't in the same league. Time had moved on. Rogue 1 was the only follow-up that in any way compares

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Star Wars is absolute garbage. If it wasn't for Darth Vader it wouldn't have even got past the 2nd film.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
6,000 Posts
Star Wars is absolute garbage. If it wasn't for Darth Vader it wouldn't have even got past the 2nd film.
Nah, it's not garbage. The first movie was groundbreaking in a lot of ways, if you know anything about film. Even if you don't like the movie, which is your right, to dismiss it as garbage shows either (A) implicit bias, (B) a lack of understanding of film, or (C) both of the above. I didn't care for The Searchers, but I know better than to dismiss it as "garbage".

·
Registered
514 Posts
star wars, star trek, all of that shit is garbage. and there is nothing entertaining about it. i agree with the OP that “space” isn’t some amazing idea.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I’m a Star Wars fan and even if you don’t like the movies, you can’t deny the cultural impact of them and also the historical significance of the OT to filmmaking. Before Star Wars, there has never been special effects like that in any movie. And the movie sold more merchandise than any movie ever had. As far as the movies after the OT, I thought the prequels were so-so with Revenge of the Sith being really good. I also liked Force Awakens but didn’t really like Rise of Skywalker. I also thought Rogue One was really good and and Solo was decent.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Episode 3 was the only prequel that was good.

No one will agree with me, but I actually like the sequel trilogy better than the original.

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Episode 3 was the only prequel that was good.

No one will agree with me, but I actually like the sequel trilogy better than the original.
I don't agree on that one but I'll say that the Sequels are better than the Prequels. I'll take boring over just plain bad.

·
Banned
327 Posts
I say this as someone who is a fan of the Original Trilogy. The first three movies are some seriously great pieces of cinema, but everything after that is kind of shit. People have been wearing rose tinted glasses about the Prequel Trilogy a lot over the years saying how they're just as good as the Originals or they're good films, when these same people were trashing them the moment they came out. The Prequels are still terrible films, all 3 of them are terrible, Episode 3 has some entertainment value to it but it's still a bad film. The amount of lazy storytelling, bad script writing and bad acting is what makes the prequels so terrible. The Sequels suck too, I didn't actually mind The Force Awakens, probably because it's a remake of A New Hope. Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker are just boring, nothing special about em, I can't even call them bad, just boring pieces of cinema, although I do think people overreact about how it's a big deal that Disney have "killed" the franchise with the sequels, who cares mate, it's a movie at the end of the day.

While the first three are fine, I feel the whole series itself is extremely overhyped, it's space politics and space fighting, it's not some amazing idea.
That's your opinion homie. I love the prequels. Fuck it.

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
13,365 Posts
The originals are great. The prequel trilogy was bad with a few good spots. The Force Awakens was a lazy remake. The Last Jedi was awful and deserves all the hate it gets. The Rise of Skywalker was bad and lazy. Rogue One was awesome. Solo was abysmal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Watched them all one time and can honestly say i fell asleep out of boredom in almost all of them, i really don't see the big deal in the old school ones, and they got progressively worse

1 - 20 of 59 Posts