Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Simpsons' (apparently now not) cancelled?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/04/the-simpsons-facing-cancellation_n_993847.html

UPDATE (2:22 PM EST): 20th Century Fox TV released a statement about the negotiations, sounding a bit dire.

23 seasons in, The Simpsons is as creatively vibrant as ever and beloved by millions around the world. We believe this brilliant series can and should continue, but we cannot produce future seasons under its current financial model. We are hopeful that we can reach an agreement with the voice cast that allows The Simpsons to go on entertaining audiences with original episodes for many years to come.
______
PREVIOUSLY: Despite Homer Simpson's best efforts, it may not be a nuclear meltdown that brings about Springfield's doom. Instead, its end may come thanks to the business of Hollywood that the show has lampooned for so long.

According to a new report from The Daily Beast, the show's voice actors are locked in a bitter contract negotiation with 20th Century Fox, with the studio threatening to end production if the talent does not take a 45% pay cut. The actors are countering with an agreement that nets them a 30% reduction in salary but a small slice of the show's back-end earnings, which include the billion dollar syndication and merchandising empire that the studio has built over the past two plus decades.

At the moment, the Daily Beast reports, the show's voice actors -- Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith (Lisa), Hank Azaria and Harry Shearer -- earn about $8 million a year, but do not get a cut of the show's much bigger ancillary profits.

The stars re-upped their contracts in 2008, receiving significant raises; it was reported that they went from $360,000 to $500,000 an episode.

Most of the actors, who each play a number of characters, have other gigs; Azaria, who voices Apu and Chief Wiggums, leads the way with his own NBC sitcom, "Free Agents," though the new show is already in danger of being cancelled thanks to low ratings. He also played a part in this fall's hit film, "Contagion" and starred in this summer's big hit, "The Smurfs."

Castellaneta, the voice of Homer, has had a recurring role in ABC Family's "Greek." Nancy Cartwright, Bart Simpson's voice, also did voices for "Rugrats" and the shows "The Replacements" and "Betsy's Kindergarten Adventures." Harry Shearer has also starred in Christopher Guest's mockumentaries.
Other sources

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/10/04/the-simpsons-on-verge-of-cancellation/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/10/04/the-simpsons-money-dispute-may-shut-down-fox-tv-s-long-running-hit.html

Sorry if it's been posted, thought it was thread worthy if true.

Despite the fact it hasn't been brilliant for a while now, it will still feel like I'm leaving a large part of my childhood behind if it does go. Could all be bullshit/Fox trying to play hard-ball though. The show must still be a big money spinner overall in terms of merchandise and foreign TV licencing surely?

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
:( Sad news if true.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
This would suck donkey bollocks if true. Simpsons may be declining in quality, but still has a great episode now and then. Plus, it's nice to know that their is hundreds of Simpsons episodes that I have yet to watch.

Oh well, if they do get cancelled I would love to see a second movie come out of it.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seth McFarlan getting a 2 hour block? :side:

I would much prefer 2 hours of shit Simpson's episodes to two hours of shit Family Guy episodes. Even crap episodes for me are better than the current Family Guy, which to me just seems like Seth Mcfarlane basically saying "I'M SO FUCKING FUNNY" on repeat for 20 minutes. American Dad is vastly superior to me, but that's a different argument.

I will miss it if it goes, more than any other show, for me. this feels like an end of an era. However reading the article I think they may be able to hammer out some kind of agreement, they are relatively close it seems on the first round of bargaining.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
they should switch this thread title out for the one that said YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

·
EIRE
15,862 Posts
Good, I hope it gets cancelled. It's been terrible for almost 10 years now. And the voice actors have always been cunty, this isn't the first time they've bitched about money.

·
In the Heat of the Moment
33,794 Posts
It's all crap. I still watch Family Guy (only because I don't quit shows I start) and its so painful. Unfortunately I also watch Cleveland Show and Simpsons. All of them should be cancelled.

·
Premium Member
8,294 Posts
Despite the reputation The Simpsons has attained over the past decade for producing crap, the past couple of seasons (21 & 22) have been wholly decent. Not season 1-9 quality obviously, but decent nonetheless.

Having said that, I do think it's time to put this franchise to bed. There's nothing left to say, and much like Family Guy, I only ever watch new episodes when there's absolutely nothing else to watch.

·
I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
767 Posts
Even though I'm not a big fan of the new Seasons.

The Simpsons actually being cancelled would be bizarre.

It's been there all my life, plus it can't be just cancelled. It's gotta have a special episode to finish it all off.

·
Lethargic Llama, follow me on twitter
3,479 Posts
I think the show has found its stride again the last few years. I hope this isn't true

·
Ramble On
11,084 Posts
Simpsons used to be class, but it is about time they put a stop to it. I haven't laughed much at it for about 3 years now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This doesn't bother me too much. I love the Simpsons' but it's become a family member who has a terminal illness. It'll be sad to see it go but at least the suffering will be over.

<3

1 - 20 of 99 Posts