Wrestling Forum banner

The "Sheamus/Del Rio was handed everything" debate

4960 Views 66 Replies 46 Participants Last post by  2K JAY
Is by far the most annoying thing on the IWC these days.

In wrestling, everyone is handed everything. Wrestling is not real. In real life, you go out there and you put on a show. That's all it is, a show. The title belts are nothing but props. In real life, you're not the champion of anything. You don't "win" the belt, you are GIVEN the belt -- it's a storyline. So why Sheamus and Del Rio are exceptions to the rule is beyond me.

These two guys were heavily established before coming to WWE. People heard of them, they built a reputation as good wrestlers, they're not new to this. Just because they were given the promotion early doesn't mean they're bad. They're 2 of the best wrestlers in WWE and you can't deny that. I guess I'm just sick of people bringing up the old workout buddy excuse when in wrestling, you have to make friends with pretty much everyone backstage and it's not like they don't deserve it based on talent.

So Triple H likes Sheamus, big deal. I'm sure Vince McMahon liked plenty of guys in his time, does that mean they shouldn't have been pushed? I fail to see the logic. As a wrestling fan, I appreciate everyone who can go out there and have a great match. Maybe you should start watching wrestling as a TV show and stop acting like you know everything cause the fact is, you don't. Unless you stepped into the business, you don't know what you're talking about.
21 - 40 of 67 Posts
Yeah, they sure paid their dues hanging around in the mid-card for many years....Oh wait.

All I know is that this feud is beyond terrible.
You pay your dues on the independents when you work for $75 a night and drive 150 miles. When you get to WWE, it's up to them to decide what to do with you. Incase you didn't already know, Sheamus was on the indys for years. Travelling all over Europe and building a reputation. Del Rio? He was mixing it up in CMLL and doing MMA. That's not an indy promotion, by the way.
You pay your dues on the independents when you work for $75 a night and drive 150 miles. When you get to WWE, it's up to them to decide what to do with you. Incase you didn't already know, Sheamus was on the indys for years. Travelling all over Europe and building a reputation. Del Rio? He was mixing it up in CMLL and doing MMA. That's not an indy promotion, by the way.
I don't really know what you're looking for here.

I think Sheamus and Alberto are both extremely talented, I'm just not interested in their feud. I don't think they deserve the main event either. I can see what WWE is trying to do with Sheamus, that doesn't mean I agree with it, or like it.

I don't want Sheamus or Del Rio as the focal point of any show, only because I don't think they can hold my attention (not only mine, many others) for such a program.
I don't give a flying fuck what they did before or anything you said. All I give a fuck about is this feud is fucking horrible and the sooner this shit is off my tv the better.

PS I am a fan of Sheamus and he has been massively over pushed
He never won the ECW title. :/

But I agree with most of your points to an extent, but I think the fans care about who is champion quite a bit.
Excuse me, meant to say FCW.

Fans don't care who the champ is. They don't, they just really don't. RAW could have Yoshi Tatsu be the champ and it would get a 3.0

Honestly, the quirkier and less likely a champ is to be champ the more the fans want to watch. Swagger had better ratings as a WHC champ than Orton, no shit. Bryan and Henry got 2s. It is just the novelty of it. Beyond that, it doesn't matter.

The only time you can get them to care is with years of build with a satisfying payoff. The fans could have cared about Christian's reign, for instance. Orton's was a yawner, been-there-done-that affair.
Thank Money in the Bank for that.

Besides, Sheamus is over and the people who say Del Rio is not over clearly need to adjust the volume on their TV set. I'd say a job well done to WWE.
Sheamus is over because he is being pushed like Cena. He never fucking loses and he overcomes beatings to win the match. He is only liked by kids and casual fans who like who WWE tells them to like.

He is not that great in the ring and he is shit on the mic.

To me this is overpushing.
Sheamus is over because he is being pushed like Cena. He never fucking loses and he overcomes beatings to win the match. He is only liked by kids and casual fans who like who WWE tells them to like.

He is not that great in the ring and he is shit on the mic.

To me this is overpushing.
Sheamus has as many, if not more, good/great matches this year than anybody on the roster. If he's not "that great in the ring," he's close enough that it doesn't matter.
Not taking anything away from either Sheamus or Del Rio, but they were put in the main event right away and given titles as a means to get over rather than awards for being able to connect with the audience. It isn't really a debate, it's just what happened.
Sheamus get's a lot of crap and is often compared to Cena when they're not all that similar. Well besides the fact that they always win.

Sheamus is supposed to be an overpowering badass, while Cena is supposed to be an underdog who never gives up who's clean as anyone could be. I don't love Sheamus but he does his job well and can be pretty charismatic in a "badass" kinda way.
Only thing that surprised me is that he won by submission. One of the golden boys tapping out blew my wig ALL THE WAY back.

The Del Rio/Sheamus feud blows ass bubbles to by the way, this is like their 99,000th match and they all have the same winner.
Alberto Del Rio is unjustifiably pushed...

Can anyone explain why ADR is still being given championship opportunities PPV after PPV and leaving amazing smackdown talent off the card?

All he does is come out with a smug-face or ubermad-face and then puts people in an 'amazing' submission move that he brought with him from MMA...which is the most generic MMA submission anyway.

Then he talks with his really heavy Hispanic accent about how everyone is 'below' him. This has been going on for years now.
That's all he does to build a feud.

After seemingly years of getting no reaction why is he getting pushed over the likes of Rhodes, for example?
Did some rich person pay for a 10-year contract where he is promised main event status the whole time??

I don't understand it.
So maybe, i hope, someone can explain it here...
See less See more
Re: Alberto Del Rio is unjustifiably pushed...

Alberto Del Rio es uno de los mejores intérpretes de anillo en la WWE y personalmente me encanta su gimmick. Tiene las habilidades, la mirada y es mucho mejor en el micro de personas le dan crédito. Para uno, espero realmente se convierte en campeón del mundo otra vez. Sería un cambio refrescante de Sheamus que es quizás el más aburrido campeón del mundo en la memoria reciente.

...forgive me, I did not want to use my thick Spanish accent so I stated my case in the proper tongue.

Can anyone explain why ADR is still being given championship opportunities PPV after PPV and leaving amazing smackdown talent off the card?

All he does is come out with a smug-face or ubermad-face and then puts people in an 'amazing' submission move that he brought with him from MMA...which is the most generic MMA submission anyway.

Then he talks with his really heavy Hispanic accent about how everyone is 'below' him. This has been going on for years now.

After seemingly years of getting no reaction why is he getting pushed over the likes of Rhodes, for example?
Did some rich person pay for a 10-year contract where he is promised main event status the whole time??

I don't understand it.
Rhodes gets a reaction?

Rhodes does. ADR is on many raws where Rhodes is not. Smackdown has strange crowd noises, they're probably altered.

Rhodes does. ADR is on many raws where Rhodes is not. Smackdown has strange crowd noises, they're probably altered.
a lot of the Smackdown crowd reactions are edited in

I don't understand it.
lol @ saying the armbar is one of the more generic subs in mma. Tell me how many people have been submitted by it this year in the ufc ? ? Exactly. less than 5. Rnc is the most common sub, and lo and behold, that is Dolph Ziggler's sub finisher.

Because he's a great worker, has great facial expressions, fantastic psychology and solid mic skills?

I don't understand it.

I agree, While Alberto Del Rio is pretty decent in the ring, I do enjoy watching his matches. However I'm tired of seeing him against the same old opponents over and over again. His mic skills are so-so, He doesn't really generate that much heat by calling people "Cheaters" and "peasants"

His gimmick has potential to be much better, but it needs alittle revamping.

I wouldn't have a problem with ADR if he was in the title picture for one or maybe two PPVs, but the fact is he has been having title matches for the last 4 (?) PPVs now!

It's just all a bit stale and boring. We need Barrett v Sheamus quick!

Del Rio is the 2nd most entertaining person on the roster for me right now after D-Bry. I really hope he avenges his loss in similarly dirty fashion at NOC, but I can't see that happening. Gotta keep Sheamus strong, right? If so, I hope they at least have Del Rio beat the living shit out of Sheamus after the match, allowing Ziggler to run out and cash in.

ADR was a top star in mexico, in fact a top face, for roughly 8 years or so. He had a masked gimmick of Dos Caras Jr., his actual self, son of famous Luchadore Dos Caras. Vince had wanted him for a few years before he signed him. He makes big money in the mexican market for when they tour, merchandising etc. He and Sin Cara will represent that market. Now, as for his overness, he usually comes out to crickets. However anytime he is in target demographic area, he gets massive boos and "culero"("asshole") chants.

From a financial standpoint, it makes sense. He has also "paid his dues" in his years in Mexico. He is great in-ring. He has recently started to get entertaining, however nearly everything he has done before June 2012 was boring as hell. Overall, Vince is still going to push him, although I would prefer Del Rio remains entertaining as he is now.
21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.