Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going into TLC i though that everything was pretty much set in stone for The Royal Rumble and then going into WrestleMania everything would pan out quite easy to predict but now i have no idea where WWE will be going on the road to WrestleMania 27 and i honestly think that The Royal Rumble winner is the most open it has been in a very long time and very hard to choose one standout person like in previous years.

Originally i could see Randy Orton regaining the WWE title at The Royal Rumble after being screwed at the TLC PPV with John Cena winning The Royal Rumble after eliminating Wade Barrett last thus setting up Cena/Orton for the main event of WrestleMania but that all went out the window with John Morrison becoming the number one contender for the WWE title and CM Punk now feuding with John Cena.

With Triple H said to be having a one on one match with Sheamus at The Royal Rumble thus more or less ruling them both out and Randy Orton only just coming out of the WWE title hunt last week after being in the title scene almost non stop for eight or nine months i don't think he will win The Royal Rumble match either. There are rumours that the feud between John Cena and CM Punk will now go through WrestleMania so unless that is going to be the WWE title match neither of them are winning The Royal Rumble although i guess one of them could and then the other win the WWE title at The Elimination Chamber.

Over on SmackDown their main event scene is thread bare with The Undertaker being out until at least The Elimination Chamber PPV and Rey Mysterio working through injuries and Edge already being World champion thus ruling all of them out. Alberto Del Rio, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston and Cody Rhodes are all at least a year away from main eventing WrestleMania so i can't see any of those winning and WWE are not going to have The Big Show win it either in my opinion and Wade Barrett isn't going to win now that his feud with John Cena has seemingly just ended.

All in all when you look at all of that you can see that this is going to be the most open Royal Rumble we have had in years and that there are lot of people who could win it rather than that one standout person like we see almost every year. If i had to pick just one person i would probably go for John Cena or CM Punk winning with whoever win's eliminating the other last and then whoever loses would win the WWE title at The Elimination Chamber PPV as i can't see The Miz walking into WrestleMania as WWE champion as he is a year away from being big enough to main event the biggest night of the year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In fact, it is
I was also thinking about the surprise returns that could happen at the Rumble
We have Triple H, The Undertaker, Chris Jericho and Christian out
I'm thinking 3 of those could return at the Rumble, I don't know if that ever happened, 3 surprise returns at the Rumble...
But my money is on Chris Jericho, or even maybe Christian

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I don't think it's open at all, in fact it's fairly predictable to me. Randy Ortron or John Cena will win the royal rumble, I predict John Cena with him facing Orton for the title at Mania. It is boring, but it's just what I expect to happen. As much as I would lovve to see it, the rumble now isn't the PPV for building stars as it has been often in the past, it's to make what they think could be blockbuster mania main events.

I'd be happy for them to push a new guy and be proven wrong though. But for me, it's between Cena and Orton.

·
Banned
420 Posts
I believe it's open to you because of all the injured superstars that could make a huge return (Punk, Jericho, Taker, Christian, HHH, Bourne, etc) but I think it's fairly predictable that either Orton, Cena or Barrett will pick up the victory.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I'd say it's unpredictable, Orton's the only one without a proper story going on, but w/ Miz facing JoMo next week on Raw, that could throw that Rumble match out the window, but presume they get an angle going where it continues to the Rumble where we will see Morrison v. Miz, then that leaves the door wide open for Orton. Unless Cena faces Punk, then goes on to win the Rumble (2 matches, Lesnar 03 comes to mind). Or they could do some stupid ass swerve like Sheamus win it.

·
Undergoing a gimmick change.
2,385 Posts
I think John Cena or CM Punk are winning it this year, despite me not wanting to see this feud between the two over a title. Then again, Triple H, Jericho, Undertaker and Christian are all due a return, and all four have potentially big Wrestlemania feuds already open for them. The 'E could push a midcarder like Alberto Del Rio, Dolph Ziggler or Kofi Kingston, OR could go with Wade Barrett, who's been on the brink of a World Championship all year. Not forgetting Randy Orton, WWE's top face alongside Cena, who must also be considered a favourite going into this. Along with all of these possibilities, WWE could pull out an even bigger surprise and lure back Batista - who was rumoured for an winter return a few months back.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Last year was much more open, but like said before, the surprise returns are what could turn the match from being real open, to the surprise person winning.

With the exception of the injured guys. Mysterio,Sheamus and possibly Orton are the only former world champs who will be in the actual rumble(unless there's some people im forgetting), so looks like we could see the match really up for grabs with the winner getting a first title shot ever.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Now that Cena is injured this Rumble will be the most open ever. Nobody has any idea who will win this now. I'm pulling for Punk to win this year though.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
This is certainly David Otunga's time, the guy will surely win the Rumble, close out Mania by winning the title and the world will rejoice.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that Cena is injured this Rumble will be the most open ever. Nobody has any idea who will win this now. I'm pulling for Punk to win this year though.
John Cena hasn't suffered an injury that will keep him out long term and will most likely be kept out of the ring until The Royal Rumble match in which he could be protected anyway because of how many people are in the match and also the fact he could just draw a late number. I do like the idea of CM Punk winning The Royal Rumble but then that means that John Cena win's the WWE title at The Elimination Chamber and we have Cena/Punk which i'm all for but i would much prefer it to be CM Punk going into WrestleMania 27 as WWE champion than John Cena as i prefer a heel going into it as champion.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,853 Posts
There's only one man in WWE who's being built to win The Royal Rumble, whether WWE consciously realizes it or not.

And his name is Kofi Johnson.

(Long pause.)

Kingston!... Kofi... Kingston...

Otherwise, yes, it is easily the most wide open Royal Rumble in years.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Cena, Punk, Barrett, Triple H or Sheamus only possible winners. And its highly likely that HHH and Sheamus will take each other out of the rumble.

It leaves Punk, Cena or Wade Barrett.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
1. HHH

2. Punk
3. Cena

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
So many with a chance

Edge (if he loses on SD! and isn't no1 contender at RR)
Rey Mysterio
Alberto Del Rio
John Cena
John Morrison
Sheamus
Wade Barrett (Punk may screw him over, or there will be Punk vs Wade at RR)
CM Punk (Wade may screw him over, or there will be Punk vs Wade at RR)
Triple H (If he were to return)

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
There's only one man in WWE who's being built to win The Royal Rumble, whether WWE consciously realizes it or not.

And his name is Kofi Johnson.

(Long pause.)

Kingston!... Kofi... Kingston...

Otherwise, yes, it is easily the most wide open Royal Rumble in years.
Kofi Kingston isn't being built to win the Royal Rumble...in any way. He was still competing in the IC title picture on Smackdown last week...

I honestly don't know who's winning now. John Cena could win, although I'm not sure they are headed in a Orton/Cena match at Mania anymore. Sheamus or Triple H could win and they could face for the title. CM Punk could win and face Cena. Hell Morrison could potentially win. My picks before this week were Orton or Cena. Orton isn't a possiblility and I'mn not sure on Cena now...

Although having said that, John Cena is still my pick for this year.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Cena, Orton, or HHH winning the Rumble again sounds dull.

Let someone else win it.

CM Punk or Christian would be good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts