Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
They wanted Lesnar in Austin and Rock's position afterwards...that's why Rock put him over like a star. Cena is just where he is because of Lesnar leaving and them staying behind him more often than usual pushed talents.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Off-topic but damn it is funny how much things changed when Rock and Austin left. I mean originally the split was going to have Raw be Austin's show, while Smackdown would be built around The Rock. By the end of 2002, Raw was built around Triple H, while Smackdown was built around Brock.

I really wonder how things would have played out if Rock and Austin were there throughout 2002......

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Off-topic but damn it is funny how much things changed when Rock and Austin left. I mean originally the split was going to have Raw be Austin's show, while Smackdown would be built around The Rock. By the end of 2002, Raw was built around Triple H, while Smackdown was built around Brock.

I really wonder how things would have played out if Rock and Austin were there throughout 2002......
I wonder what it would be like if Austin and Rock never left.

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
This is not a big WHAT IF situation. Austin was breaking down physically and was done as a full time performer in 2002. I don't get how Rock leaving directly led to Cena's rise considering the timeline. Cena was a midcarder on Smackdown by the time Rock was finished as a semi-regular performer. We wouldn't have seen Cena vs Rock until WM 22 or 23. Cena's push did not coincide with Rock and Austin leaving. After they left, RAW was built around HHH and Smackdown was built around Lesnar.

They don't just let ANYBODY have a strong competitive match with Kurt Angle in their debut and go over Chris Jericho cleanly in their first PPV match. And this all happened before the rapper gimmick. He didn't have to interact with and RKO numerous legends or get a cushy spot with HHH and Flair. Cena got over with his immense talent, on the B show no less.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I reckon Cena still would have had a big rise, only difference is he would have feuded with Rock already by now imo.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
This is not a big WHAT IF situation. Austin was breaking down physically and was done as a full time performer in 2002. I don't get how Rock leaving directly led to Cena's rise considering the timeline. Cena was a midcarder on Smackdown by the time Rock was finished as a semi-regular performer. We wouldn't have seen Cena vs Rock until WM 22 or 23. Cena's push did not coincide with Rock and Austin leaving. After they left, RAW was built around HHH and Smackdown was built around Lesnar.

They don't just let ANYBODY have a strong competitive match with Kurt Angle in their debut and go over Chris Jericho cleanly in their first PPV match. And this all happened before the rapper gimmick. He didn't have to interact with and RKO numerous legends or get a cushy spot with HHH and Flair. Cena got over with his immense talent, on the B show no less.
Shelton Benjamin came in stronger than that...he was teamed with the WWE Champion, Kurt Angle....he went undefeated against Jericho and Christian....owned HHH in like 6 matches....beat IC Champion Orton in like 5 str8 matches but they still buried him and pushed Cena. People keep forgetting that Cena was a failure at first. In 2002, he was wearing the tights of every city he was in..team colors(in LA, purple/gold...in Boston, green/white)..he came to Toronto in September 2002 and the entire crowd chanted "CENA SUCKS" and he left television and came back as Vanilla Ice on the Halloween show. He was still a nobody until the Lesnar feud. Booking took care of him...that's why he counted in the end. There was no "immense" talent. Booking....same thing we saw with HHH back in 1999.

·
BOOTS TO ASSES
1,771 Posts
The was a big hole left by Rock and Austin which the company needed to fill. The filled Rock's role with Lesnar which went on to Cena and Austins role with Orton. What nobody gets is nobody can ever fill these roles. You cannot replicate a legend only pave your own lagacy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy
rock is one of those older guys who has a big ego and doesn't want the younger guys to succeed. He is like hogan who comes back but doesn't benefit anyone but himself. Who is to benefit from rocks return? Is it miz? Is it cena? Nope it's rock's pockets which will be bulging with millions of dollars.
fpalm

Yeah, just like he buried Lesnar before leaving in 2002... this is the same guy who let the freakin' HURRICANE go over him. Say what you want about The Rock, but he's not one of those ego guys like Hogan.

Yeah seriously. If you look at booking over the years, The Rock has unselfishly put many, many superstars over- more so than Austin or Hogan in their respective reigns. Hell, wasn't he the first guy to accept dropping the WWE title in order to give Kurt Angle a big push to main eventer?

Also, nevermind what Rock did for Lesnar, Goldberg, Jericho, Hurricane etc. Isn't Rock notorious for overselling to make his opponents look good? That doesn't sound like the attribute of a selfish person to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO4cCimeJ1A#t=4m20s

I mean, is he really comparable to Hogan?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Rock steps aside for good after being defeated by Lesnar, who looked to be the guy WWE was building up.
Lesnar left when Cena was starting to get big, so i think Lesnar leaving helped Cena more.

·
Banned
4,730 Posts
Who knows what would've happened? The more probably answer would be, no, Cena would not be where he is today if The Rock didn't leave. It would be like Cena leaving right now, WWE would be forced to push someone into his spot. If Cena were to leave, someone like Miz or Orton could get the push of their lives.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I always thought that if Brock didn't leave he would be the face of the company and is booked as such..
Yea he kind of was becoming the face before he left.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I don't believe that The Rock leaving had anything to do with John Cena becoming the main man in the industry because The Rock had effectively stopped being a full time wrestler by 2001 and in between 2002 and 2004 probably wrestled for six months out of that period so it was clear by WrestleMania 20 that he was going for good. At that same PPV we saw John Cena win his first title with a win over The Big Show for the US title so John Cena was still a long way from becoming the face of WWE a little over a year later but he was said to be an integral part of what Vince McMahon wanted for the future.

It was reported in plenty of places before that Vince McMahon had planned before WrestleMania 20 to push Brock Lesnar and John Cena as two of his main men alongside Randy Orton and Batista who were learning their trade in Evolution alongside Triple H and Ric Flair but obviously Brock Lesnar announcing just before WrestleMania 20 that he was leaving as well changed those plans. As an all round in ring performer of the four of them i would say that John Cena would have always been the one that was seen and pushed as the face because of his mainstream appeal, marketability and passion for the business.

I do believe though that had Brock Lesnar not left WWE to pursue his "dream" in the NFL then rather than John Cena and Batista being the two main men we would have seen John Cena and Brock Lesnar and i believe Cena/Lesnar would have been pushed as the feud/rivalry of their generation. With the way that John Cena has been booked from mid 2005 and how his character was changed added to how much of a monster Brock Lesnar was i think it would have been a perfect feud and one that Vince McMahon would have loved to push, the never back down and never quit John Cena against the monster who destroys everyone Brock Lesnar has a Vince McMahon feud written all over it and it would have drawn well over time as well.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
I don't believe that The Rock leaving had anything to do with John Cena becoming the main man in the industry because The Rock had effectively stopped being a full time wrestler by 2001 and in between 2002 and 2004 probably wrestled for six months out of that period so it was clear by WrestleMania 20 that he was going for good. At that same PPV we saw John Cena win his first title with a win over The Big Show for the US title so John Cena was still a long way from becoming the face of WWE a little over a year later but he was said to be an integral part of what Vince McMahon wanted for the future.

It was reported in plenty of places before that Vince McMahon had planned before WrestleMania 20 to push Brock Lesnar and John Cena as two of his main men alongside Randy Orton and Batista who were learning their trade in Evolution alongside Triple H and Ric Flair but obviously Brock Lesnar announcing just before WrestleMania 20 that he was leaving as well changed those plans. As an all round in ring performer of the four of them i would say that John Cena would have always been the one that was seen and pushed as the face because of his mainstream appeal, marketability and passion for the business.

I do believe though that had Brock Lesnar not left WWE to pursue his "dream" in the NFL then rather than John Cena and Batista being the two main men we would have seen John Cena and Brock Lesnar and i believe Cena/Lesnar would have been pushed as the feud/rivalry of their generation. With the way that John Cena has been booked from mid 2005 and how his character was changed added to how much of a monster Brock Lesnar was i think it would have been a perfect feud and one that Vince McMahon would have loved to push, the never back down and never quit John Cena against the monster who destroys everyone Brock Lesnar has a Vince McMahon feud written all over it and it would have drawn well over time as well.

Doesn't matter how many months he was there..the show revolved around him when he was. No matter what. Everyone took a backseat to him..including Austin. So I have no idea where one could act or pretend like Cena would just get through in a Rock led WWE. When he won the title at WM 21, he got one of the most underwhelming first title win reactions of all time. It was pretty embarrassing. Fans went wild for Batista though.

Lesnar was the top guy put in Rock's place. Period. Who knows what would of happened to Cena's career if Lesnar stayed around because Vince loves the way a guy like Lesnar looks. He always has.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Doesn't matter how many months he was there..the show revolved around him when he was. No matter what. Everyone took a backseat to him..including Austin. So I have no idea where one could act or pretend like Cena would just get through in a Rock led WWE. When he won the title at WM 21, he got one of the most underwhelming first title win reactions of all time. It was pretty embarrassing. Fans went wild for Batista though.

Lesnar was the top guy put in Rock's place. Period. Who knows what would of happened to Cena's career if Lesnar stayed around because Vince loves the way a guy like Lesnar looks. He always has.
Really? :rolleyes:

·
Banned
86 Posts
What I don't understand is, why does Vince like Randy Orton so much? He's bland. He's good (not great) in the ring, but his promos are boring, his character is stupid ("he's hearing voices again!!11!"), and he doesn't look intimidating at all with his scrawny physique.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts