Wrestling Forum banner

The Rock Politics

35668 Views 57 Replies 46 Participants Last post by  Headliner
Just wondering as The Rock is the current flavour of the month on the board, what was The Rock like backstage in the business in his heyday? Was he well liked? Was there anyone he got on particularly well with? Was there any tension between himself and another? Did he use politics? Refuse to put people over? Was he difficult etc?

General questions about The Rock the man and his tenure in the WWE behind the camera, how he conducted himself.

Cheers.
Reactions: nazzar
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
2,348 Posts
The Rock from what I have read was a company man, and willing to do what was right for the business. The only person I think the Rock outright dislike during his time in the WWE was HBK, he also had some tension with Triple H due to his push in 1997. But that subsided by the time both were in the main events, but the rivalry still remained even though they became friends.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it’s interesting, I’ve never heard any horror stories about the Rock backstage or anything, seems for all extensive purposes to be a nice bloke. Would love it hear stories to the contrary or in support, find the backstage of wrestling fascinating.

· Registered
797 Posts
I never heard of the rock being difficult or anything like that but i saw a documentry on the rock that is conducted by a guy who clearly dislikes and critises the WWF but he says that the rock is a very nice guy who had a lot of time for his fans and was a hard worker and would do anythin for the business

· Registered
20,782 Posts
He took some heat for his match with Mick Foley at Royal Rumble 1999 but other than that, he seems to have a pretty clean slate.

Reactions: EraOfAwesome

· Fear, Fruity Pebbles, and Possum Piss
4,103 Posts
I've always been interested in finding out as much as I could about Rocky's backstage attitude and politics, or lack thereof. Here's some things I can think of....

In a shoot interview with Billy Gunn and Road Dogg, Gunn says Rock was a great guy who never caused problems.
Road Dogg said he disliked Rock but only because he hated that Rock was the total package. Road Dogg said he was completely jealous that Rocky had the look and the skill and the charisma all rolled into one.

HBK said in shoot interview in 2000 that Rocky was a 'good kid'....slightly patronising if you ask me.

Foley was mad at Rock after Royal Rumble 1999 because Rock hit him with too many chair shots during the match and then he was the only one not to find him backstage afterwards and see if he was ok. Foley kept quiet about it until he came back as Commissioner in June 2000. Him and Rock had a big long talk about it and completely cleared the air and then carried on as good friends. (This is all in Foley's second book, "Foley is Good")

Bret Hart says in his book that Rock got nothing but shit from Triple H and Shawn Michaels the moment he started in the company but Rock just kept his head down and tried to ignore it. Bret has nothing but good things to say about Rocky and that Hunter and Michaels just kept trying to bury him backstage.

Jericho says in his latest book that Rock was one of the nicest people to work with and one of his favourite opponents ever.

Jim Ross has stated numerous times over the years that Rock was one of the nicest people to ever be in the company. Completely professional and not concerned with any backstage shenanigans.

So yeah, I've had trouble finding any negative stuff about The Rock apart from the incident in 1999 with Foley. If anyone else has anything I'd be happy to hear it.

EDIT - I find it weird that for years the story has gone around that Rock never wanted to work with HBK due to how he treated him when he started in the company. I think Rock has publicly said that himself. However, at the Hall Of Fame in 2008 Rocky said there were two people he's always wished he could've wrestled and they were Rey Mysterio....and Shawn Michaels.

· Registered
2,569 Posts
Pretty sure you can sum his attitude up by Jerichos bit on him in his new book. When he - unscripted - threw a cup of water and cigarette ash into his face during a match (or something like that, my memory sucks, it was either water or spit someone used ot put out the ash) and rocky never even complained despite the fact that the second he done it jericho knew it wasnt water and he was shitting himself all match. rocky just shrugged it off - albeit a little pissed but didnt say anything about it.
Think he knew if it made for good tele, it was good for business. similar to when he knocked the rock (i think its him) with the wrong side of the chair. :rolleyes:

· Banned
19,071 Posts
The Rock strongly dislikes Shawn & Hunter, but you already knew that. When it comes to politics, the only two things I ever heard was supposedly in 2003, he didn't want to put over Booker T in a match on RAW because he had a feeling Triple H would win at Wrestlemania making the Rock's rub meaningless and that a feud with John Cena was pitched to him all the way back for Wrestlemania XX, but The Rock wasn't interested in working with him for whatever reason.

- Vic

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel this is something else to take into consideration when assessing Rock’s legacy. Genuinely comes across as a class act.

Great stories guys! Keep them coming.

· Registered
8,175 Posts
I think the Rock being a victim of politics early in his career is the main reason why he never played politics with anyone else. He put a lot of new guys over during his career, and I don't think someone like Austin, Triple H, or Taker would've done that. A lot of guys had their 1st title win from beating The Rock, and a few guys' 1st real Main Event feud was against The Rock.

Mick Foley's 1st Title Win was against The Rock.
Kurt Angle's 1st Title Win was against The Rock.
Brock Lesnar's 1st Title Win was against The Rock.
Chris Benoit's 1st Main Event feud in the WWE was against The Rock.

Who did Chris Jericho interrupt when he debuted in the WWE? The Rock.

I think the WWE used The Rock to experiment to see if a guy can get over as a Main Eventer. It worked for the most part.

I think the only time it didn't work was with Billy Gunn, and not even the Rock can work that miricle!

· Banned
9,964 Posts
The Rock strongly dislikes Shawn & Hunter, but you already knew that. When it comes to politics, the only two things I ever heard was supposedly in 2003, he didn't want to put over Booker T in a match on RAW because he had a feeling Triple H would win at Wrestlemania making the Rock's rub meaningless and that a feud with John Cena was pitched to him all the way back for Wrestlemania XX, but The Rock wasn't interested in working with him for whatever reason.

- Vic
Yeah, didn't Rock lose a battle royal to Booker T putting him in the main event at mania 19 against HHH? ok.

· Banned
2,149 Posts
Here's Stone Cold and Rock talking about each other after the WM19 Match. Rock talks about how Stone Cold hated him at first and what he said to him in the ring after the match.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfnv2q_stone-cold-the-rock-talk-about-friendship_shortfilms

The only mentioned "politics" that he was involved with were with Triple H & HBK which was all started on their behalf. As far as the Foley situation, he has a really good and detailed explanation of it in his book as mentioned before.

· Registered
5,432 Posts
a feud with John Cena was pitched to him all the way back for Wrestlemania XX, but The Rock wasn't interested in working with him for whatever reason.

- Vic
So rock has been scared to fight cena since wrestlemania XX? :confused:

And rock is suprised cena started talking shit. This could have been a wrestlemania moment for cena but instead he decided to have a match involving 90 year old ric flair instead of the hottest young talent in years.

It all falls into place and makes logical sense because 7 years on he is still dodging a match with cena.

Also I heard rock and austin did not like each other. Austin did not like the fact he went off to make movies instead of staying loyal to wwe and it's fans.

Rock and triple h also hated each other.

· Banned
2,149 Posts

And rock is suprised cena started talking shit. This could have been a wrestlemania moment for cena but instead he decided to have a match involving 90 year old ric flair instead of the hottest young talent in years.

It all falls into place and makes logical sense because 7 years on he is still dodging a match with cena.

Also I heard rock and austin did not like each other. Austin did not like the fact he went off to make movies instead of staying loyal to wwe and it's fans.

fpalm

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That video of The Rock and Stone Cold exchanging complements is great to see. A strong case for that other thread, the one concerning who should induct The Rock into the HoF, for Stone Cold to have the honour. I think it would mean a lot to both men.

· Banned
2,691 Posts

lmao, do you think wrestling is real? Jesus CHrist kid

· Registered
604 Posts

What a retarded statement...

Anyways only negative thing I heard about The Rock is that he was rushed and didn't really socialize much with the others backstage during the Hall of Fame induction could of been because he had a flight to catch though lol

· Registered
2,927 Posts
From what i hear The Rock was mostly a class act, that's what i get of shoots and Books. The Rumble incident was mentioned and something about HBK. But Rock has put over anybody WWE asked them to, and i think it sometimes was even to much, guys like him and Jericho don't mind to job to people but did they really need one to job to Hurricane and Jericho to Bourne? The only thing i heard recently from Ivory in a Shoot, that he would have good relationships with all kinds of People, inviting them to Stake dinners etc. Wrestlers, Camera Guys and what not, and that is actually damm smart, that way people are gonna work even harder to get you over, everything has it's effect, how you come off on TV, your Music, your Finishers, what you say for how long you say it and etc.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.