Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
He was a bigger name / draw than Steve Austin from 2000 - onwards. I prefer Austin; Austin is my favorite wrestler. But I acknowledge that Rock was a bigger name overall.

Either way, Andre the Giant is the greatest name / draw in the entirety of wrestling history -- he was bigger than Hogan, Rock, & Austin.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Both men are so close to each other in drawing terms that it's hard to for sure say one is a bigger wrestling star than the other. Rock may be right but still the biggest wrestling star will always be Hulk Hogan.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Can someone explain to me how you quantify bigger "draw" between Rock and Austin? Honest question - I never quite understood this. If it's just an opinion based on who is more popular, fine - but is this taking into account actual gate revenue and ppv buys and such? Because weren't Rock and Austin both on the show at the same time, most of the time? How do you tell them apart?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can someone explain to me how you quantify bigger "draw" between Rock and Austin? Honest question - I never quite understood this. If it's just an opinion based on who is more popular, fine - but is this taking into account actual gate revenue and ppv buys and such? Because weren't Rock and Austin both on the show at the same time, most of the time? How do you tell them apart?
Is this a real question lmao

Rock

Bigger ppv buys
bigger pop culture influence
cover of all the video games
cover of all the magazines
SNL host multiple times ( hosted SNL in 2000 before The Mummy returns)
Highest ratings for Raw & Smackdown!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Is this a real question lmao

Rock

Bigger ppv buys
bigger pop culture influence
cover of all the video games
cover of all the magazines
SNL host multiple times ( hosted SNL in 2000 before The Mummy returns)
Highest ratings for Raw & Smackdown!
Biggest PPV buys.....which ones? Wasn't Austin on all those ppvs too back in late 90s early 2000s? If you mean WM28 or later on - sure, Rock became a huge star and his returns were a huge deal, but i thought we were talking before Hollywood.
Highest ratings for Raw & Smackdown...is this true? So on a recurring basis those years, Rock segments consistently outdrew Austin? Or was it a lot of back and forth? Would love to see some data, to see how conclusive it is. I know he has the highest individual segment ever.

He certainly exploded more into hollywood, so SNL, and pop culture influence...all of that, sure. Magazines too once you take that into account.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Biggest PPV buys.....which ones? Wasn't Austin on all those ppvs too back in late 90s early 2000s? If you mean WM28 or later on - sure, Rock became a huge star and his returns were a huge deal, but i thought we were talking before Hollywood.
Highest ratings for Raw & Smackdown...is this true? So on a recurring basis those years, Rock segments consistently outdrew Austin? Or was it a lot of back and forth? Would love to see some data, to see how conclusive it is. I know he has the highest individual segment ever.

He certainly exploded more into hollywood, so SNL, and pop culture influence...all of that, sure. Magazines too once you take that into account.
The biggest being Wrestlemania 28 & 29, watch the video I posted lol SHATTERED ppv buy rates.

As for ratings Rock outdrew Austin. Rock segments had higher increase then Austin segments.

·
NBA
6,534 Posts
Don't know if the whole WM 28 and 29 argument holds up that well, considering that wwe did bigger attendance numbers for WMs 23 onwards than it did during the late 90s and very early 00s boom. Does this mean wwe was more popular in the late 00s and early 10s than it was in the late 90s and early 00s?

Biggest crowd attendance rate in america is Triple H versus roman reigns, let that sink in.

Also, no big draw becomes big overnight, it takes time. Austin wasn't big when he became Stone Coldin late 96, it took him two years and phenomenal booking to accomplish that. Same way Hogan wasn't mega popular right out of the gate upon debuting in the late 70s. It took him a few years and the timing with the Rocky 2 movie to really explode. Same way, Rock was popular when he became Rock but it would take him a year of good booking and constant TV time to get to become the gigantic draw he'd become.

And he certainly wasn't a huge actor in the 00s. Pretending he became the best paid actor in the world right upon leaving wwe due to his wrestlnig run is basically downplaying Dwayne's effort. The dude basically had to keep working nonstop and picknig roles for 10 years to get where he is now, nothing awarded to him on a silver platter. He basically had to climb in two different industries.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
The biggest being Wrestlemania 28 & 29, watch the video I posted lol SHATTERED ppv buy rates.

As for ratings Rock outdrew Austin. Rock segments had higher increase then Austin segments.
Comparing 'Mania 28 & 29 to Wrestlemanias 14-17 --- would population growth play a role? The United States population increased by 25-30 million from 2000 - 2011.

·
Registered
13,121 Posts
Rock was clearly bigger from 2000 onward. Even 1999 is arguable.
1999 is not arguable. Austin mainevented every show not Rock for a reason despite fact he was in desperate physical condition.

Austin was still biggest draw in 2000 whenever he appeared. Post Wrestlemania 17 I will give it to Rock but Austin wasn't drawing any real money then.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts