Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else find it surprising that WWE used the Rock in a midcard tag match at WM20?

It made sense from a storyline standpoint to be helping Foley vs Evolution, but that whole feud was built around Foley/Orton. You have the Rock available for WM, why not build some kind of epic one on one match for him?

It ended up being a good match, but I guess like a big star playing a supporting role in a movie. Was anyone else surprised by this?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
No credible opponents available I think. Honestly Foley/Orton match should take place at WM not Backlash. The Rock killed tension of match because it's so random rather than 6 months build that is Orton/Foley feud

Sent from my ZTE Blade L3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
The WM card was massively stacked with the likes of the HHH/HBK/Thatguy, Guerrero/Angle, Undertakers huge return, 'Lesnar/Goldberg, among others.

The match itself was terrific and gave Orton a massive rub growing into the main event slot.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I dug the match, I think it made sense and they played upon the whole sympathy thing with Foley to help build up Randy Orton. The card had a lot of big names but I think most of the match ups wouldn't really had made sense for the Rock. I mean they could've done something like the Rock vs Shawn Michaels or Rock vs Flair..... but I think reuniting the Rock N Sock connection raised more eye brows. Pun intended.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
They wanted him to wrestle John Cena at Wrestlemania XX but The Rock apparently refused.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040811160834/http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/2003_/articles/1071166920.php

This was being reported on dirtsheets back then

The Rock vs. John Cena to be a part of the WrestleMania XX line-up?
Submitted by Tom Guzik on Thursday, December 11, 2003 at 1:22 PM EST

As the continual rumours for how the WrestleMania XX card will shape up continues, another topic of conversation has been as to who will be The Rock's opponent on March 14th.

As mentioned in a previous post, an rumor is that Rock will team up with Mick Foley to reunite as a tag team again to possibly face some of the Evolution members in a tag match. Also, another rumor has been that The Rock may possibly wrestle one of the most popular wrestlers currently around at the moment, John Cena.

The only problem is that the Rock has vetoed the idea of this idea going any further, even if it was to be in some form of a tag match. In the past, The Rock has used his powers and leverage to work with certain wrestlers he felt would benefit from such an encounter, obviously his most recent opponent being Goldberg.

It seems strange that The Rock has flat out refused to wrestle against Cena, and we may find out exactly what his reasons are for the veto in the upcoming weeks.

Credit: 1Wrestling.com

·
Fear, Fruity Pebbles, and Possum Piss
4,585 Posts
I seem to remember reading he pitched to work with Savage at Mania XX but Vince refused, and then he wanted to bring in Sting for Mania 21 but the contract bullshit happened.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
This would've been the perfect night to do the dream match with HBK, but whatever personal stuff between those two always prevented that I guess. Also, who would've won? Rock was the younger guy but HBK had the full-time schedule. Maybe Rock could've faced Orton with Foley in his corner to continue their feud before doing their own blowoff at Backlash. But then again, would Rock lose to Orton then?

With that being said, the 3-on-2 Handicap match was fine, but a six-man tag with HBK tagging with Rock 'n' Sock against Evolution would've been better.

·
Read Only
1,147 Posts
The Rock was actually a bit shit around this time he was releasing crappy movies and it felt like he was stuck between both worlds if that makes sense. There was no way he was main eventing on a one match programme as there was no requirement for part timers in this era as the roster was stacked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts