Wrestling Forum banner

Was the match the match of the year thus far?

• Match of the Year ( so far)

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Top 5 matches of the year

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Top 10 matches of the year

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • Not even in the top 10

Votes: 23 30.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we are now a few days out from Battleground, the hype has died down.

So I find it fitting to ask this question - where does The Rhodes vs. The Shield match land in your top matches of the year (so far)?

The poll for the "match of the night" was an absolute landslide, it had been a while since I saw a poll here for the match of the night for any PPV be so unanimous.

At the time I was thinking that the match was definitely, so far, the match of the year. I still think it's definitely at least top three and I would have to go back and re-watch the other matches I considered MOTY (at the time).

Of course, it wasn't an incredibly technical match, but it was definitely a very emotional match, no matter if you're a "casual" fan or a smark, it was an absolutely brilliantly done match and to me, this years pinnacle of story-telling in wrestling.

There was, at least to me, an unusual feeling where I legitimately could not tell who was going to win at any point in the match until the final five seconds. I would say about 8 out of 10 times I can tell who the winner would be just from the names put on the card - and I know that a lot of other people can tell too.

So, yea, anyway, considering the few days we've had to calm down, do you consider it WWE's MOTY worthy?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This year we had some great matches like Punk vs Cena, Punk vs Taker or Punk vs Lesnar. So, was this MOTY? No.

But that was still very good match and I voted for "Top 10 matches of the year".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cody and Dustin complemented the pace and intensity brought by the SHIELD and the stakes further made the atmosphere electric. Multiple man wise, it was one of the best of the year so far; but to be fair, a case can be made for most SHIELD matches.

If you look at the singles matches, 2013 has seen plenty of moty worthy contests involving Bryan, Punk, Del Rio .... and so on

·
Registered
641 Posts
It is probably second for me. Ziggler vs Del Rio at Payback with the double turn is MOTY in WWE so far imho. Third I would give to Cesaro vs Zayn from NXT, still it was a tremendous match that had something WWE has had a hard time getting for awhile now, emotional investment.

I still think having the redemption pay off at not even a B ppv is stupid, they could have definitely played out the storyline added more depth and layers to it and Rhodes could have been a megastar. He still well could be, but rushing storyline payoffs seem to be the norm in WWE now.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This year we had some great matches like Punk vs Cena, Punk vs Taker or Punk vs Lesnar. So, was this MOTY? No.
Only mentions of Punk matches? :argh:

They were good, technically sound matches, but could you really get emotionally invested in them? Stories were told - but not such emotional ones.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
It was just really easy to follow, it didn't try to be unnecessarily smart or try to swerve you like the main angle. It answered simple questions in the build-up, investing us emotionally, the talent still had to deliver (which they did) but creatively the writers did a splendid job on setting the scene.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Top 10 I would say.

Lesner v Punk is the best.

Others above it would be

Punk v Taker
Punk v Cena
Bryan v Cena
Bryan v Cesaro
Bryan/Kane/Kofi v The Shield

·
KO
5,455 Posts
Voted top 5. The atmosphere was just insane and I loved the build to it. One of the few midcard angles in the recent couple of years that I cared about. A lot.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
I'm debating whether to put this in top 10 or top 5, cause I think it's definitely close to, or slightly above the 5th mark.

This match could be SO much better and SO good if a lot more storyline and build up was specifically put into the Rhodes/Shield match up, rather than them attacking The Rhodes family due to the orders of HHH, but more so due to personal differences between them building up, THEN it could possibly become match of the year and be a really good feud also!!!!

I'm gonna go top 5 I think!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
its Moment of the year(MOTY)for sure

but as a match its not even in the top 1000 worldwide this year

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
TOP 5...atmosphere was great, and the crowd was great during the match.

Had the Cody in the ring long enough to where the crowd were begging for Goldust, then got the crowd behind him,then him getting to tag Cody in. They really played with the emotions of the crowd in a good way :lol

Rollins with that rollup, man the crowd would've been dejected if he pinned Cody. But that Crossroads :mark: and how badass he looked. The crowd counting 1-2-3 :mark: . That was a great moment, what wrestling should be about.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Punk/Lesnar is my current MOTY. Then there's other great matches like Ziggler/Del Rio from Payback, Punk/Cena from RAW, Punk/Taker from WrestleMania - that I would put over this match. Rhodes Family vs The Shield would make my top 10 though.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rollins with that rollup, man the crowd would've been dejected if he pinned Cody. But that Crossroads :mark: and how badass he looked. The crowd counting 1-2-3 :mark: . That was a great moment, what wrestling should be about.
Just thinking of it makes me shiver atm. :lol

That was THE BEST false finish of the year. Definitely. I swear I thought that would be the end because of how shitty the tag match booking is by the WWE.

its Moment of the year(MOTY)for sure
It definitely was an incredible moment. If the WWE hadn't treated kayfabe like nothing around this time it would go down in history as one of the feel-good moments of the WWE.

I try to look at that moment, right after Cody got the pin on Rollins and Goldust ran in to hug him, as if I had no idea WWE was scripted.

Without a doubt in my mind - that match is one of the top matches that I WISH I wasn't a smark.

It seems I'm still alone in thinking that this was so far the MOTY. :sad:

I still think it though. Technical wrestling is great and all but we see great technical matches weekly nowadays. We rarely get to see a feud with a strong build, good promos, interesting characters and a really, really joyous finish.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
No , good match, but not better than:

Brock/Punk (MOTY)

Cena/Bryan

Taker/Punk

Ziggler/Del Rio (Payback)

Hell no/kofi vs Shield

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I would say it's a top 10 match this year, match of the night and was an all round great thing to see but it does have stiff competition from these:

Punk/Lesnar - Summerslam
Bryan/Cena - Summerslam
Punk/Taker - Wrestlemania
Punk/Cena - Raw
Bryan/Cesaro - Raw
Cesaro/Zayn - NXT
WWE Championship MITB Match
WHC MITB Match
Undertaker, Kane, Bryan/The Shield - Raw
RVD/Jericho - Raw
Punk/Jericho - Payback
Del Rio/Ziggler - MITB or Payback

It's definitely up there in contention with all those matches

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Tag Match of the year definitely. In terms of overall, we've had some great matches which had the time this match didn't quite have so not quite. It'll easily make top 10 though and possibly top 5 depending on opinions.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
I still think it though. Technical wrestling is great and all but we see great technical matches weekly nowadays. We rarely get to see a feud with a strong build, good promos, interesting characters and a really, really joyous finish.
What matches are you referring to as just ''technical wrestling''? Punk/Brock wasn't that and it was one of the best all out brawls we've seen in a while, and Ziggler/Del Rio from Payback was a storytelling masterpiece with the double turn.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts