Wrestling Forum banner

The return of Sting - your thoughts on its execution?

7233 Views 77 Replies 63 Participants Last post by  Lucifer The Dark
OK,

I've been in India for a couple of weeks recently and only got back into the UK the other day. I didn't read any spoilers, and simply went right ahead and watched iMPACT! over the internet. Without reading the spoilers, I gotta say I liked his return. OK, it was a bit of a rip off of the Undertaker's return to WWE, but the unsung hero of Sting's return was Jeff Hardy. He sold Sting's return to perfection - The wide eyes, hands over his face, the whole nine yards. Even Tenay and Taz did a passable job, even indirectly saying that Sting might have gone to WWE (in a round about sort of way).

What do you think about the return of the Stinger?
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Banned
1,797 Posts
Loved it. He looked in great shape.. moved very well . the crowd being bigger helped the show a lot.. im glad he won.. he deserves it for being loyal. im pretty sure those wwe reports are 100 percent accurate. everybody complains about Sting being selfish.. but i dont think people realize how much money he turned down. just off a guess im sure it was a couple of million.

· Registered
2,800 Posts
Sting looked great, but the match itself could've been longer. I'd have like to have seen Sting kick out of a Swanton or a Twist of Fate. More offense from Hardy.

But yeah, I really don't care what anyone else thinks. I am glad Sting is back and I am looking forward to one last run.

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Sting looked great, but the match itself could've been longer. I'd have like to have seen Sting kick out of a Swanton or a Twist of Fate. More offense from Hardy.

But yeah, I really don't care what anyone else thinks. I am glad Sting is back and I am looking forward to one last run.
I agree they could have dropped the wedding BS, have all of Immortal interfere with Sting whopping all of their asses and winning the match...with all of TNA celebrating with him...

· Registered
419 Posts
Despite being spoiled on his role in the main event, I loved it. His new coat is awesome (the wrestling gear itself is kind of hit and miss) and he's definitely back in wrestling shape.

I do wish they could have given him and Hardy more time though (and not have Sting fail both of his splashes).

· Registered
2,860 Posts
I'm kinda shocked at this stage in his career he actually wants to be champion. He's like almost 60. It's kinda sad when the world champion of your show is that old. It seems like WCW all over again.

TNA= Total Nonstop Action

How does a near 60 old man = TNA?

I personally think he should have just been into a huge feud instead. Something to change the entire direction of the show right now. They spent a f'kton of money getting him back so why not use him for a major storyline? Now it just seems like they are going the WCW route of old champions hogging the spotlight.

I guess if he just wants one last championship run then great for him. Seems like a major step back for TNA though.

Edit: Given the way TNA copied the whole 2-22-2 promos and mocked WWE, I fully expect a promo on Raw this week from someone mocking TNA for having such an old champion. Remember when Mick Foley mocked WCW back in the day? He gave a great promo saying he was too young for WCW and it was hillarious. I can see WWE taking a dig at TNA for this.

· Registered
107 Posts
I'm kinda shocked at this stage in his career he actually wants to be champion. He's like almost 60. It's kinda sad when the world champion of your show is that old. It seems like WCW all over again.

I personally think he should have just been into a huge feud instead. Something to change the entire direction of the show right now. They spent a f'kton of money getting him back so why not use him for a major storyline? Now it just seems like they are going the WCW route of old champions hogging the spotlight.

I guess if he just wants one last championship run then great for him. Seems like a major step back for TNA though.
He's 51 .. almost 52 ;)

· Registered
419 Posts

He's not even hit 55 yet...

If he can still go, I see no problem with it. People have this assumption that youth = talent when all youth equals is youth. A lot of the guys that people are behind right now are in their mid- to late 30s, and early 40s, so it's not like they're these "young studs" that seem to be the "next generation".

And it's not like he's hogging up the main event scene either: guy hasn't been champion in 2 years.

· Fear Me!
3,413 Posts
I'm glad to see Sting back in TNA, and I'm glad that he won the TNA Title. I think he deserves one last run as champion for being so loyal to the company. It looked like he was in great shape, and I look forward to seeing more matches from him before he retires for good.

Everyone sold Sting's return quite well I thought.

· Premium Member
26,653 Posts
It was an obvious quickie re-signing. Like I said in the Impact thread, it seems as though TNA dangled the title in his face as an incentive to sign a new contract and it worked. I don't mind him coming back or even getting the title but not right now. They pretty much took a shit on the other title feuds that were already progressing.

Why blow their load so fast and why take the title off of Anderson, only to give it back to Hardy, only to give it to Sting 2 weeks later?

· Celestial Messiah
38,520 Posts
It was an obvious quickie re-signing. Like I said in the Impact thread, it seems as though TNA dangled the title in his face as an incentive to sign a new contract and it worked. I don't mind him coming back or even getting the title but not right now. They pretty much took a shit on the other title feuds that were already progressing.

Why blow their load so fast and why take the title off of Anderson, only to give it back to Hardy, only to give it to Sting 2 weeks later?
Dunno, maybe they thought actual long lasting feuds might draw money so they wanted to get rid of that right away.

· Premium Member
46,384 Posts
Execution was poor.

He goes away then just comes out of nowhere to win the title without having done anything to earn the shot. Uh ok. They completely threw all their main event storylines out the window just to do this.

If they had Sting Vs. Hardy as a NON TITLE match, it would have problem come off a lot better and Hardy's defeat would have legitimized Sting as a contender for the belt. But no, they had to go for a shocking yet senseless title reign.

· Registered
4,017 Posts
the match was good, the reaction of the crowd helped, everyone selling it was nicely done

thigns that took credit away from this return:

-copying wwe just to make fun of the audience that thought sting was going to wwe, only a 5 year old would do it

-making this an instant title match, it hurts the title, constant changes during 1 single month don't help your company to be put over

· Registered
2,074 Posts
I really hope this reign is short. Seems like they did what they could to avoid him going to the E, and after watching the show, I would have preferred him not being in TNA. Taker vs. Sting would have been amazing, and TNA's main event was fine as it was. They had something going with Anderson and Hardy, now they're making them take a backseat to someone who has no future, someone you can't really build around.

· Sleeps nude in an oxygen tent.
8,847 Posts
It was pretty awful.

Storywise:

Crtl C + Crtl V'ing the WWE's 2/21/11\The Rock Electricity made TNA look like a joke (even more than usual).

The fact that "THE NETWORK" can book matches means the entire Hogan\Dixie thing was pointless because what's it matter who owns TNA when "THE NETWORK" can go over their heads and put whoever they want in main events.

I don't get why Sting is back, if I remember right he ran away like a bitch when the first THEY were around so now he changes his mind Maybe they'll explain it later.

Match wise:

Boring.

Reactions: KrazyGreen
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.