Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
HAIREH BAWWWWLS
4,558 Posts
I agree with Flash here, it's pretty ridiculous that members have to download new programs and disable scripting just to navigate around the board without being bombarded with pop ups and shit.

It's not so bad for the established members, but if you're a guest looking for a good wresting site to post your opinions on...you're not going to choose W-E.

·
Don't rewrite the books, just rewrite the titles,
15,672 Posts
I also notice that every page on the forums now has a bloody great banner at the top of it, which reduces the loading time of the page (even on ADSL, so God knows what it's like for people with dial-up). They may have been there before, but I'm sure they weren't. Anyway, I'm ranting. I digress...

I've just taken a look at the advertising costs for the main site and the forums. For everyone's information, the link is:

http://www.wrestling-edge.com/other/advertise.shtml

Just have a look around and take in how many different banners, pop-ups and these new ads there are. I know the site costs money to run but I absolutely refuse to accept that all of the ads, especially the new ones, are necessary to keep weforums going.

If I'm wrong about that then tell me (and preferably prove it), because at the moment I'm a little disillusioned and am in danger of perhaps overstepping what some people may consider the line.

·
Don't rewrite the books, just rewrite the titles,
15,672 Posts
I accept that Amish wants to make money from it, and that's fine. What you must remember that as existing members leave (which they do), new members will be needed to replace them. If membership declines, so does advertising revenue.

I can safely say I wouldn't have joined back in May if I was greeted by what's here now. Pop-ups are bad enough, but the new ads, especially on the main site, make it look unprofessional and difficult to read. They're not so bad on the forums, but they can't be necessary.

Adding to what I said earlier and what Kliqster touched on, name me another site that you have had to download things for just to let you view the pages without hassle. There can't be many.

This site's members' loyalty is displayed by the very fact that they are willing to go to reasonable lengths to visit and keep the site going. How are we thanked? Yet more advertisements. Before this didn't bother me, but now I feel quite differently about it and I for one think the extreme we've reached is unacceptable.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
800x600 Website PopUp (Main Site) NEW!
$30.00 USA/One day, $45.00 USA/Two days

800x600 Website PopUp (Forums) NEW!
$40.00 USA/One day, $60.00 USA/Two days

I can see where Amish makes the most money. And holy crap, $40 a day. Take that times 3 ads, $120. So in a week, he makes more than some people make in a month. I'd say he makes great money, so I frankly don't want to hear about how he makes no money. The server's like 500 a month tops I'd assume, but feel free to correct me. He makes more than that in a week. I keep my scripting off not only for here, but I've found it makes other pages load faster too on my poor, meager, 56K.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
WOw, i never knew the difference between the advertising rates and the rate of income amish gets from it!

So in reality he actually earns very little compared to what everyone says and thinks, luckily i havnt experienced any from of advertising here apart from the pop-ups and pop-unders but they are controlled by norton anyway so...

Anyway, if it all helps amish with money and keeps the site going then i say we should put up with it - obviously we arent the only ones to experience it as Nitmare proved so we willhave to work around it!

Slade :cool:

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I think they're quite handy. I mean, how else would I have been able to discover that I can buy Evil at Overstock.com for only $9.79?

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Originally posted by Grace
I think they're quite handy. I mean, how else would I have been able to discover that I can buy Evil at Overstock.com for only $9.79?
HAHAHA...
Well I haven't seen them... I deliberatly use a different browser with these forums, I use Mozilla Firebird, and i never see them.

·
Banned
9,035 Posts
Yeah, I use CrazyBrowser, I see the red words. I use Netscape, I don't see them. If it weren't for Netscape not being compatible with all webpages, and the problem of not having all pictures show, I'd use Netscape. It's faster than IE and Crazybrowser.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts