Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
""As mentioned on WrestleHeat.com’s Facebook page, part of the reason why WWE decided to put the WWE Championship back on John Cena is because of the WWE being described as being in “panic zone” over the 2.7 cable rating they scored heading into the Night of Champions PPV.

The feeling was that putting the strap back on Cena would have increased ratings once again. Although Vince McMahon is personally a big fan of Alberto Del Rio, the feeling is that Cena was able to carry the company much better than him. It should be noted that the plan was for Del Rio to head into the WWE TV tapings in Mexico as Champion before the last-minute change.""

Will they realize that Cena having the belt makes people not want to watch? This makes me want to bash my head against the wall.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
That sucks but I think it's also true :/

·
Registered
681 Posts
thing is the iwc may not like it but cena draws, while no one in the iwc may like him, he's adored by mainstream fans,

·
Ex nihilo
9,317 Posts
I don't really subscribe to the idea that people will or wont watch depending on who is champion. It's not like Del Rio had huge amounts of tv time, hell he missed a couple of shows altogether

·
Registered
615 Posts
The WWE will never realise that Cena does not need to be champ or even in every championship match for his fans to love him and buy his merchandise. Give the fans something unexpected and new to watch and the numbers will go up, even Cena must be sick of listening to himself by now.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
Then they might as well depush Alberto Del Rio and have Cena and Punk go at it alone or why don't they go the next step and just make it Cena/Triple H for the 10,000th time.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,025 Posts
I think WWE are in denial tbh and just like to believe Cena is their savior or something. But I think there is another reason why the PPV did badly. It's proberly because overall, the PPV was pretty poorly booked. The only match worth getting the PPV for was CM Punk/Triple H. Every other match was not that interesting, nor was built up enough to make us, or rather me want to get the PPV. I mean c'mon, Mark Henry/Randy Orton? Kelly Kelly/Beth Pheonix? Even Cena/ADR was poorly booked and certainly not something I think people were thourghly interested in. Especially considering how boring their fued was.

But of course WWE seem to believe their own hype machine and won't admit that it was THEM who was at fault and not the wrestlers. I'm not a fan of Alberto Del Rio, but taking the belt of him for that reason was a stupid idea.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The WWE will never realise that Cena does not need to be champ or even in every championship match for his fans to love him and buy his merchandise. Give the fans something unexpected and new to watch and the numbers will go up, even Cena must be sick of listening to himself by now.
Completely agree.

The reason ratings are down has nothing to do with who's champ. It has everything to do with them putting on boring show after boring show. I'm no ADR fan, but I think they should have left the belt on him, and tried to get him into a new feud. The sad part is, if you go through the full rosters of both shows, you see that they're quite short on stars these days and, for some unknown reason, don't seem to want to build new ones. I know we've seen guys get pushes recently, but they seem to stall out in a matter of a few weeks, and I don't see how you can develop a character, or let the masses see a wrestler's talent in that short of a time.

If they'd work to make the lower championships meaningful again, it'd go a long way to creating the stars they desperately need. I would also love to see them re-introduce a meaningful tag team division. When you think back to the 90's, there were tons of tag teams that were great draws themselves, and that's something they're sorely missing these days. Also with the influx of a lot of newer "small" guys, I think they could a have legitimately great cruiser-weight division again.

Somewhere along the line, WWE decided the only things meaningful in thier business are the WWE and Heavy-weight championships. To me, that decision just made the whole thing stale and repetitive. They might have to add some more players to the payroll to bring back some diversity, but I think that investment would go a long way to boosting ratings and ppv buys, and overall profits for them. Would be win-win-win for WWE, it's talent, and the fans.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
WWE made the biggest mistake ever giving the title to Del Rio, proberbly the worst worker in WWE right now.. but it has been made right again now!! good job wwe
That might be the single worst opinion I've read on here. Del Rio's easily a top five worker.

I doubt putting the title back on Cena had anything to do with Del Rio. The WWE booked themselves into another corner. They couldn't fathom the idea of having Cena go four ppv's in a row without a "signature win" so they threw the Title on him. He'll probably drop it again at HitC, but it bumps his stupid number of title reigns up a point.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
They want to build new stars yet treat them like fucking dogshit, look how Cena treated Del Rio...as usual he talks about how he's not a real champ, well christ we as fans cant buy him as champ if the FAACE OF THE COMPANY is treating him like trash.

·
100% Straight Fire
2,692 Posts
I'd rather have Cena champ than Del Rio anyday. But who is or isn't the champ is the least of WWE's problems when they're getting 2.7s.

·
Banned
26 Posts
wwe doesn't have anyone better to put the wwe belt on. only long time stars and big new guys and quick wonders run well with that title e.g brock lesnar (big new guy), triple h (long time star). giving it to rio was like giving it to swagger which was an awful idea

·
Registered
354 Posts
I thought they gave cena the belt so that Punk or ADR could win it at HIAC. If ADR won at NOC Cena already used his rematch so it wouldn't be a triple threat match. Now it's a triple threat match and I could see punk or ADR winning at HIAC

·
All Out
2,790 Posts
Mleh, who are they gonna blame when the ratings start to steadily decline because they get sick of Cena doing the same old shit every week as he has for years?

·
Banned
18,557 Posts
thing is the iwc may not like it but cena draws, while no one in the iwc may like him, he's adored by mainstream fans,
That's because Cena and Orton were the only stars shoved down fan's throats so there is no alternative for fans in general.

- Vic

·
Fear Me!
3,444 Posts
I totally agree, whether or not Cena is the WWE Champion won't affect the ratings. At this point, the Undertaker could be the WWE Champion and the ratings wouldn't increase. The overall product has to get significantly better for there to be an increase in ratings.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts