Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Self High Five!
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else thinks the latest 'reality tv' style segments is a bad idea?!

I personally hate reality tv nowadays, after being force-fed it everywhere for 10+ years. And especially the American style reality tv, with the constant music in the background, a steady drum beat building up into a crescendo when someone gets elminated.

The last place i thought you would see this kind of television would be on a wrestling show, and trust TNA to jump on this bandwagon. I love Tna and Impact wrestling, but why on earth bring this horrendous style of Tv to the show.

We had the opening segment 2 episodes ago, with Hogan eliminating wrestlers one by one with the reality music and vibe. And again on this last episode, even more so with the Gutcheck segments.

It's annoying, save all that for Gordon Ramsey's - Hells Kitchen USA

·
Tiger Driver '91
2,908 Posts
It's different, and for TNA, different is good. If people want the standard plug and play camera work, they will always choose WWE. TNA has to be different, and I find it refreshing.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It's different, and for TNA, different is good. If people want the standard plug and play camera work, they will always choose WWE. TNA has to be different, and I find it refreshing.
Pretty much this. I also like the idea someone on here to get rid of the hard cam and instead do what NXT did for it's first season.

·
Self High Five!
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the need to be different. Which is exactly right - it's best that TNA are an alternative to the rest, and not just a copycat (WWE lite) as most like to say.

Just not really a fan of the reality thing myself, but each to their own i guess. It certainly won't make me stop watching!

Equilibrium, what did NXT do for it's first season?!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I agree with the OP's hatred for reality TV, but enjoy it in small doses on TNA.

I know there are lots of IWC comments every time they "throw kayfabe out the window" but I am enjoying the new directions they take things. Thumbs up for them constantly trying to incorporate MMA and "reality style" into the show.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I dont like the reality aspect at all either, especially when they show Storm at home walking a horse with his daughter etc etc

Maybe TNA should have a separate one hour show devoted to just the reality aspect. They sit up cameras at the homes of different wrestlers each week and show them talking to their wives and kids about how much a wold title would mean to them and how they meditate and spent their lives all for the good of the world title. And the neighbors would be in on the feel good moments wishing them the best in their quest for a world title, blah blah.

I would not watch anything like that, the Storm segments are sickening enough to me, but lots of other fans might watch?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I support the idea, even though I don't know if it'll be a sucess, and change is always welcome. Usual wrestling format has been stale, if you ask me tbh.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have no problem with it, but I agree with the notion that the last thing I'm interested in is tuning to MTV to watch some reality show where high school students are talking about stuff that any other student in america goes through every day. Reality TV = meh, except for maybe shows like 'storage wars' But if it works for the targeted demographic, more power to them. At least they've got a storyline going, which is more than can be said for the WWE.

·
Self High Five!
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont like the reality aspect at all either, especially when they show Storm at home walking a horse with his daughter etc etc
Yeh this isn't the kind of thing i meant. Stuff like that in wrestling is fine by me, it's been around for years and is a big part of getting into the whole storyline for the characters.

I'm talking about the segments, that sound and are filmed just like reality tv is these days.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I'm afraid I don't see the correlation here. Please elaborate.

Showing Storm at home with his family is just like any other reality show. Hulk Hogan had a reality show with cameras following him around. To me it was boring. It's also boring watching the camera follow Storm around his home talking about wrestling and what life means to him. To me almost all reality shows are boring. But if they wanted to do a separate reality show for an hour each week a lot of fans would probably watch. They could spend an hour following Storm around, the following week maybe Angle or Gail Kim, a different wrestler each week. Keeping up with TNA or some other title would do. I might watch part of a reality show like that, mainly with the knockouts.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Yeh this isn't the kind of thing i meant. Stuff like that in wrestling is fine by me, it's been around for years and is a big part of getting into the whole storyline for the characters.

I'm talking about the segments, that sound and are filmed just like reality tv is these days.

You mean when they are talking to no one in particular? Not looking at the camera but talking to someone you can't see?

I don't really care for that either. I like the old school style of interviews best, like mean gene and other did. It would be cool to see some interviews like that.

·
Self High Five!
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You mean when they are talking to no one in particular? Not looking at the camera but talking to someone you can't see?
No it's the segments like the week before last, when Hogan opened the show in the office, deciding who to choose for the match. Eliminating each wrestler one by one, Jeff and Bully etc. The reality tv music was playing, the way he was mulling it over, and then elminating each one - was just like a reality tv show.

Also the gutcheck segments on the live show. The backroom with Pritchard, Al snow and Tazz talking it over, whilst the music played in the background. That's what i mean by these last couple weeks having elements of modern day USA reality Tv mixed in.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Showing Storm at home with his family is just like any other reality show. Hulk Hogan had a reality show with cameras following him around. To me it was boring. It's also boring watching the camera follow Storm around his home talking about wrestling and what life means to him. To me almost all reality shows are boring. But if they wanted to do a separate reality show for an hour each week a lot of fans would probably watch. They could spend an hour following Storm around, the following week maybe Angle or Gail Kim, a different wrestler each week. Keeping up with TNA or some other title would do. I might watch part of a reality show like that, mainly with the knockouts.
I really liked the Storm video about him at his ranch. It's still building Storm up as a huge common man babyface. It's showing that he's no different from the audience, he's not on a higher level than them, he's just a family man, likes the simpler things in life and was torn between family and wrestling. It's not a bad thing if reality TV makes it seem more real.

And I'm enjoying the direction the company is going as a whole. TNA needs to be different and that's the way they're going. You can see they really want to succeed, which is admirable. It would be easy for them to sit at this level and accept they're the 2nd biggest wrestling company. I just think they can't go too far with it, they need to keep the traditional wrestling feel at the same time.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've actually hoped someone would use this style of shooting in wrestling and I'm happy TNA was the first to jump on it.This thread actually gave me a great idea.As a fan of Robbie E myself, how great would it be if every once in a while, he got a reality tv like skit on Impact.It could be a few minutes long and it could be shot EXACTLY like a reality show.It can even have testimonies (when they're talking to the camera).And no it won't be like Zack Ryder's show because that show is taped like a vlog and not like a reality show.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
No it's the segments like the week before last, when Hogan opened the show in the office, deciding who to choose for the match. Eliminating each wrestler one by one, Jeff and Bully etc. The reality tv music was playing, the way he was mulling it over, and then elminating each one - was just like a reality tv show.

Also the gutcheck segments on the live show. The backroom with Pritchard, Al snow and Tazz talking it over, whilst the music played in the background. That's what i mean by these last couple weeks having elements of modern day USA reality Tv mixed in.

I don't like those either. Too boring and a total waste of time.

·
Banned
2,408 Posts
A horrible idea. And done before. In WCW.

And it failed, miserably.

Unsurprisingly, that came from Vince Russo.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Going full-on reality tv mode is obviously not the way to go for TNA. No matter how "real" they make it people will always view it as fake. I don't mind incorporating some elements in, again just don't go all out.

Reactions: Scavo

·
Registered
694 Posts
I like it. I agree that some of it has been a little over the top, but that opening segment a couple of weeks ago with Hogan, Hardy, Angle, Bully Ray and AJ was fantastic.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts