Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Set aside the fact that ratings haven’t increased noticeably since his 600 or whatever day reign as champion.
Does anyone outside of WWE know who this guy is? Aside from him popping up on a late night talk show or two, he hasn’t been mentioned in any sort of major media. Also, I have not seen one single person — man, woman or child — wearing Roman Reigns attire. He’s supposedly a major merch mover, but I haven’t seen any evidence of it.
The bottom line is, he has done nothing to elevate the company in any sort of way during his time as champion.

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Ho!
19,694 Posts
Been one of the worst reigns of all time. Shit quality, not drawing, and it’s killing the rest of the show.

·
Fearless University Graduate
Fearless University Graduate
18,123 Posts
You're using metrics that no one else is doing better at.

Ratings haven't gone up under Romans reign, but they've been consistent, they haven't been dropping.

Meanwhile when Rollins was World Champ, ratings went down. When Bryan was World Champ, ratings went down. When Styles was Champ, ratings went down. When McIntyre was Champ ratings went down.

How much Pro Wrestling merch do you see in the real World? Pro Wrestling is pretty niche thesedays, its not 1999 when it was booming and everyone loved it. Its not 'cool' anymore, who wears Wrestling merch out in public?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Literally anyone could be in Roman’s spot and WWE would do the same revenues. He’s not much of a merch mover or TV ratings mover, Not much of an attendance spiker. Even putting Rhonda on some live shows boosted attendance.

I guess in relation to other guys put into the #1 spot that he’s a failure in that he’s not anywhere close to a crossover star like Cena, Rock, Austin even Batista. But I don’t think WWE would look at him as a failure. They see him as proof that they can push anyone as the top guy and do mega revenue. So they are probably happy with him.

·
Registered
712 Posts
my thing is i dont think its roman i thinks its the generation. cena is probably the last guy to be a real superstar in wrestling and outside. the old guys like rock, stone cold , cena, hogan etc were just in an era where id say wrestling as a whole was more popular. now guys like seth, cm punk, daniel bryan, roman are stars but none of them can touch the stars of old. so when people say roman doesnt draw or whatever i want to know today who really is any bigger star than him.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It’s WWE (or Vince’s) failure to integrate with outside [pop] culture. Hogan was popular when wrestling was usually always on TV — not many channels. Austin/Attitude Era was popular along with car crash TV like Jerry Springer, MTV, South Park etc. At the time, Cena was never popular per se, but he and Orton had popular memes floating around on the internet.

Roman is a cool mafioso character and it’s his best work to date, but there’s no crossover into pop culture nor internet culture. That doesn’t mean he’s a failure. It’s just that WWE/Vince are too stubborn to join the outside world.

Vince doesn’t even watch new movies or tv shows. He doesn’t know what’s popping. Literal fossil.

Remember when Braun was a wrecking machine doing crazy shit, “IM NOT FINISHED WITH YOU YET”, and the many collisions he had with Lashley? If these moments were pushed to the outside world, i think Braun could’ve been embedded into pop culture. Casuals love to see chaos. But WWE kept it in their bubble because Vince wants to make money HIS way.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
He's the only actual full time wrestler who's actually a draw these days.

Also, what is it with these AEW fans concern trolling? Adam Page is literally tanking ratings as champ.

• Haha
Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
You're using metrics that no one else is doing better at.

Ratings haven't gone up under Romans reign, but they've been consistent, they haven't been dropping.

Meanwhile when Rollins was World Champ, ratings went down. When Bryan was World Champ, ratings went down. When Styles was Champ, ratings went down. When McIntyre was Champ ratings went down.

How much Pro Wrestling merch do you see in the real World? Pro Wrestling is pretty niche thesedays, its not 1999 when it was booming and everyone loved it. Its not 'cool' anymore, who wears Wrestling merch out in public?
They have been dropping, though. Under 2m this week.

·
PSYCH | SAIYANS
15,533 Posts
They have been dropping, though. Under 2m this week.
😂 ignore Roman wasn’t advertised this week, missed the week before, and they spent a week saying Drew would main event SD … maybe that’s on Drew

I mean the USO’s in the main event held up fine via the playoffs and mlb when they got the same level of advertisement.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It's not the Attitude Era. Mens wrestling hasn't been great in 20 years, why would Roman be mainstream over in a time where mens wrestling is emasculated in the PG era of WWE and is a fucking circus with comedy performers in AEW?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts