Wrestling Forum banner

Which Randy Orton are you more a fan of?

• Younger Randy Orton (2004)

Votes: 44 74.6%
  • Current Randy Orton

Votes: 15 25.4%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am currently watching Summerslam 2004, and have been watching PPV's chronoligally at work from 2002 onwards since I have a lot of free time here (government - go figure), and I couldn't help but notice one thing - Randy Orton was AMAZING! I remember being a big fan of his, but after watching now while knowing what he has become today, I realized how good he used to be.

I see there are many people who like Orton a lot, or dislike him a lot. So my question to you is: Which Randy Orton were you a fan of more, and which one is better in your opinion?

This is how I compare both:

2004 Randy Orton:
- 100 times more charismatic than the current Randy Orton
- Physique was actually nicer/better in 2004 - he was built bigger than he is now for some reason
- His move arsenal was a LOT better than today's as well as more diverse, and did a lot more moves
- Personality/swagger on the mic was incredibly good
- Was very over with the fans
- Young and cocky character was very successful and put him over

Current Randy Orton:
- Seems like he doesn't care on the Mic at times and is bored with his job
- Move arsenal is very limited and does exactly the same thing every match
- No more personality/swagger on the mic, and his smoker voice where he sounds stuffed up all the time makes it much worse to listen to
- Over with the girls, and not so much the men
- The "voices inside his head" and borderline crazy gimmick went a little over the top
- VERY stale character

In conclusion, the 2004 Randy Orton was not only extremely promising in that he could become a huge star (even bigger than he is today), but 2004 Randy was actually even better than today's Randy Orton in EVERY category I can think of. And to say "every younger form of a wrestler is better a la: Rock" holds no weight in this argument because Randy is in his "prime age" and hasn't been plagued by severe injuries.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Younger, it's not even close. Booked better, more cocky, more charismatic, and put on better matches. He's taken a step down from what he was.

Orton was great come late 2011, he's lost a step or 2 in every department. He's still pretty good, Just NOT as good.

Cena, Punk, and Bryan are the only guys ahead of him on the full time roster as of now.

·
I clearly felt the tap
4,488 Posts
I was never an Orton fan, but his Legend Killer stuff was interesting, at least. I don't see how anyone can derive entertainment from the current Randy Orton.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Legend Killer (2003-07) > Viper (2008-present). Orton then was exciting to watch. Orton now is boring. It's like watching Shadow the Hedgehog always bitching about Maria Robotnik's death and swearing vengeance on humanity. In fact, he's the Sonic franchise of wrestling.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts

It's no contest and you put it perfectly. As the Legend Killer, specially Evolution era, he was oozing charisma, had solid mic skills (but could fuck up at times) and was extremely fun to watch in the ring. Not to mention he had THE perfect look.

Now, he's still my favorite in the current roster but when you compare the two, he's so boring. I know he prefers how he is now but he comes across as so boring with his super slow movements in the ring and I'm not a fan of his bald head with beard look AT ALL. At least his mic work in recent weeks has been pretty good. No more super-slow talking and he actually delivers fluently rather than pausing excessively or sound overly scripted.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I wouldn't put Bryan ahead of him yet. Orton still firmly sits at that #3 spot out of the full time guys.

2004-2006 Orton was awesome. He's no more than awful right now.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
Well, of course his physique was better back then. He was both younger and they didn't strictly enforce a drug test for HGH/Steroids in 2004.

But seeing how Orton has always bore me, I'll say the younger because it at least looked like he had potential to be far better than he turned out back then and being in Evolution covered up some of his flaws.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
2008-2010 was my favorite version of Orton. He was the most over he ever was, great in the ring, and contrary to what is said on this board his promos at the time were good. He played his Viper character extremely well.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,012 Posts
2004 Randy Orton:
- 100 times more charismatic than the current Randy Orton
- Physique was actually nicer/better in 2004 - he was built bigger than he is now for some reason
- His move arsenal was a LOT better than today's as well as more diverse, and did a lot more moves
- Personality/swagger on the mic was incredibly good
- Was very over with the fans
- Young and cocky character was very successful and put him over

Current Randy Orton:
- Seems like he doesn't care on the Mic at times and is bored with his job
- Move arsenal is very limited and does exactly the same thing every match
- No more personality/swagger on the mic, and his smoker voice where he sounds stuffed up all the time makes it much worse to listen to
- Over with the girls, and not so much the men
- The "voices inside his head" and borderline crazy gimmick went a little over the top
- VERY stale character
I agree with everything you're saying here but is Orton to blame for this, is what we should question?

I mean, what about booking? The fact that more and more moves are being banned or told they're not allowed to use in recent years, he's often been told to water things down and given scripted work he doesn't look or seem very comfortable with.

Listen to what Harry Smith says here for example, which is what I mean, I'm not really sure the blame can be put on Orton.

So really, can we blame the wrestlers? I mean, it's natural to progress over time anyway, which he has and will of done, but be held back in other ways .... and if you're being told over and over again, you can't do this, or you can't do that ... I wouldn't be surprised if wrestlers start to become deflated and it shows.

Just a thought :)

·
Locker Room Leader
12,168 Posts
Legend Killer. No questions asked.

Reactions: Morte

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
You can't compare the two in any category except charisma. Today wrestler aren't allowed to do moves. Everything was better then.

·
Banned
859 Posts
Younger, it's not even close. Booked better, more cocky, more charismatic, and put on better matches. He's taken a step down from what he was.

Orton was great come late 2011, he's lost a step or 2 in every department. He's still pretty good, Just NOT as good.

Cena, Punk, and Bryan are the only guys ahead of him on the full time roster as of now.
:|:faint:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LMAO by the way Cool Guys, saying "this thread again" doesn't make you superior in any way. Sure it shows that you religiously live on this website and read every single thread front to back, but some of us have.....what some people on here lack...."lives" outside of wrestlingforum :lmao :lmao :lmao :lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
627 Posts
Orton was allowed to be himself more and do different moves back in his early days as compared to now. He dont have the freedom now like he had back then. Of course the PG stuff don't help him either. If WWE still had the same rules they did back in '04 Randy would still be the same as he was back then. Maybe even better.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
Speaking from a non-biased perspective, Orton has shortened his moveset himself, mainly to prevent injuries. It's not the PG rating or limited freedom that made him stop doing the Crossbody for example.

He still has pretty good matches despite his toned down moveset, though. So he could've been even worse off.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Younger/2004 version for sure he was very charismatic he was absolutely great in the ring which he still is today but he took a lot more risks back then and had better feuds and was just generally better in my opinion.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

1 - 20 of 42 Posts