Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone loves the Queen, don't they? It's a good year so far.
What have you done to celebrate Her Maj's 60 year reign???

·
Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
12,952 Posts
It's all just show like Hollywood is in America. The Monarchy isn't relevant in the 21st century.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I heard it described today as an event that "unites the people". Of course, nothing "unites the people" quite like a super rich head of state, who happened to be born into the right family, being paraded around on a boat that costs millions of pounds so the rest of us mere peasants can wave our flags and bow down to her. The very idea that idea that in the 21st century we have a hereditary monarch who we must refer to as "her majesty", a woman who sits on a THRONE and has the power to dissolve parliament and pass laws, a monarch who hasn't been elected and isn't accountable for anything makes me feel a little bit sick to be honest. Ms Windsor is nothing but a drain on our resources and should do the right thing and dissolve the monarchy.

·
SMILEY GOD
17,016 Posts
Agreed with all the posts above. It's a bit silly being pampered and living in luxury for 60 years is being hailed as some "great achievement". I'm not anti-monarchy or anything, and the royals probably do a lot for tourism and such, I just really couldn't give any less of a fuck about some boring, pompous, old-fashioned and extremely expensive parade.

·
I'm A Hugger
9,913 Posts
The Jubilee is great for one reason. . . Monday & Tuesday off work. Simples!:) Off to Riley's tomorrow to escape the celebrations like the bastard wedding last year that gave us an extra day off.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
I had a street party like most people in Birmingham.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I heard it described today as an event that "unites the people". Of course, nothing "unites the people" quite like a super rich head of state, who happened to be born into the right family, being paraded around on a boat that costs millions of pounds so the rest of us mere peasants can wave our flags and bow down to her. The very idea that idea that in the 21st century we have a hereditary monarch who we must refer to as "her majesty", a woman who sits on a THRONE and has the power to dissolve parliament and pass laws, a monarch who hasn't been elected and isn't accountable for anything makes me feel a little bit sick to be honest. Ms Windsor is nothing but a drain on our resources and should do the right thing and dissolve the monarchy.
Two thumbs up.

·
Premium Member
18,185 Posts
Agreed with all the posts above. It's a bit silly being pampered and living in luxury for 60 years is being hailed as some "great achievement". I'm not anti-monarchy or anything, and the royals probably do a lot for tourism and such, I just really couldn't give any less of a fuck about some boring, pompous, old-fashioned and extremely expensive parade.
Pretty much this. The Royals do bring in a lot of tourist money for sure though, Seems like especially in America they seem to orgasm over the royal family more than us. Didn't they have damn near rolling coverage of the wedding last year on most of their mainstream channels whereas over here I believe they didn't even have it on all of the 5 main channels.

Still like Nige said for most people the day off is probably the best thing to come out of it. Aside from that couldn't really care that much about the royals tbh.

·
The One Free Man
7,331 Posts
Got a three day weekend, then I get double pay for going in on the Tuesday... Mostly to sit around doing bugger all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts