Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't use the legend status or that he is Vince's best creation to justify why Undertaker always wants to get back in the ring and wrestle.

I thought Hogan/Flair were bad, Taker is much worse cause everyone knows he has a bunch of injuries and replacements which limits his mobility. Why is he sticking around.

In your guys opinion or psychoanalyst why does he continue to get in the ring and try to stay on top with these young wrestlers. He could've become a manager and learn to pass the torch.

What do you think

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Deadman walking.

On a serious note, once you live a certain kind of lifestyle, it is harder to step away from it. The money, the spotlight, and the locker room atmosphere could help you keep a positive outlook at that stage in your life.

Vince probably doesn't want to him to really retire either.

Quite sad but Taker is an all time great regardless.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deadman walking.

On a serious note, once you live a certain kind of lifestyle, it is harder to step away from it. The money, the spotlight, and the locker room atmosphere could help you keep a positive outlook at that stage in your life.

Vince probably doesn't want to him to really retire either.

Quite sad but Taker is an all time great regardless.
You do have a point cause I think once Vince retires and Triple H takes over, there will not be a need for Undertaker anymore. Triple H can foster and create his own wrestlers.

I think Undertaker is living the life of Micke Rourke's character from The Wrestler.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
Fuck it ain't psycho when a company is giving you ducketts son, especially for 20 minutes of work. Id go out there and make a complete fucking fool of myself and put shoulders to the mat for anyone for 3, even max mini, for the amount of grip he is getting paid.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You do have a point cause I think once Vince retires and Triple H takes over, there will not be a need for Undertaker anymore. Triple H can foster and create his own wrestlers.

I think Undertaker is living the life of Micke Rourke's character from The Wrestler.
I made that comparison not too long ago, it reminds me of Randy "The Ram" minus the being broke part. He has to be addicted to the feeling of it because I doubt he needs the money. Although I'm sure he enjoys the big paydays haha.

Its getting sad watching him honestly, I defended him up until a year or so ago. I dont think he is even capable of having a great match anymore and thats not a knock on him, his body is screwed up and he cant even execute his basic moves anymore. Ill give him credit for being in fantastic shape for a guy his age, hes a beast. In ring he just doesnt have it anymore. Its a sad situation but its all on him.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
I made that comparison not too long ago, it reminds me of Randy "The Ram" minus the being broke part. He has to be addicted to the feeling of it because I doubt he needs the money. Although I'm sure he enjoys the big paydays haha.
^^^ this bro

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
He needs the money IMO. Not because he doesn’t have enough, but my guess is he thinks he should have more than he does and various circumstances have cut into his wealth and he’s stuck still chasing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Its getting sad watching him honestly, I defended him up until a year or so ago. I dont think he is even capable of having a great match anymore and thats not a knock on him, his body is screwed up and he cant even execute his basic moves anymore. Ill give him credit for being in fantastic shape for a guy his age, hes a beast. In ring he just doesnt have it anymore. Its a sad situation but its all on him.
I think he is a guy who wants to feel or stay young and the power of running to lockerroom gets to him. If you have all that money he could've reinvented himself and develop another trade or skill but he does not want to do that.

Yup the only difference between him and Randy "The Ram" is that Taker actually has some money and he actually has a wife and family. I wonder if his relationship with Michelle is stagnating, cause at this point I don't think Michelle cares and just waiting for her insurance money. She is going to take the money, take her kid and move back to Florida when Taker is down and out.

·
Premium Member
14,966 Posts
I remember in a previous thread where someone mentioned he probably has financial issues. Initially, I accepted that is plausible but having thought about it, I don't think that's the case.

Taker's from that generation that treated the wrestling business as more than just a job or even a career. This is life. And when you spend so much of your life with this as such a significant part of your life, I imagine you develop a sense of fear of what life will be like when it's all over. That keeps far more "past their prime" wrestlers in the ring than money trouble. For every Ric Flair you have that needed the money, you have a Jerry Lawler that doesn't. Yet both remained active far longer than perhaps they should have (Lawler's still wrestling).

Granted, I think the guarantee of a hefty payday influences his desire to continue wrestling, as it's relatively easy money (although I question why he would want to wrestle Shane again). But, I don't equate being motivated by money to being hard up for money. I think the guy simply wants to continue wrestling and as long as he does, he's going to command a massive payday. I'm not about to prioritize his legacy over his well being and maybe for him, the end comes when you know you can't do it anymore, rather than thinking you can't. He's leaving it all in the ring. That's how his generation gave it up. I can't knock him for that.

·
Attending Chris Jericho's Rager with Scott Steiner
6,418 Posts
He is a company man. He will do anything for Vince & Co. If Vince calls him up 15 years from now and says come back and rassle, he will do it.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
While I do think he basically just went back on his words in a previous time, I guess it's hard for someone like him who's lived the life and maybe it's hard for him to walk away from it. Even harder when the money is probably so hard to refuse.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts

I think he is a guy who wants to feel or stay young and the power of running to lockerroom gets to him. If you have all that money he could've reinvented himself and develop another trade or skill but he does not want to do that.

Yup the only difference between him and Randy "The Ram" is that Taker actually has some money and he actually has a wife and family. I wonder if his relationship with Michelle is stagnating, cause at this point I don't think Michelle cares and just waiting for her insurance money. She is going to take the money, take her kid and move back to Florida when Taker is down and out.
This is absurd.

He has a real estate business that he has been running with a partner for almost thirty years. Wrestling is a very lucrative side job for him now.

Everyone gets hung up on his legacy. He already has that. And twenty years from now, it’s not in jeopardy. At this point, it’s about earning serious money, far more than he made full time.

$1.5M. That is what he is earning each year for wrestling one to three times. As long as he is not seriously risking his body, why wouldn’t he want to get that payday? And yes, the Lesnar and Goldberg matches may have made him think twice. But if he is comfortable still going, let him earn his money in peace.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Taker is like an old school Rockstar. Rock is dead thanks to the bad mainstream music since the late 90s but you still see all the old rock bands touring places cause they don't want the show to end despite being past their prime.

More than the money it is the thrill of being in the ring and still adored by the fans that drives a guy like him.

I feel bad when everyone says that he just does it for the money. He has made a few mistakes like burying WCW guys during the invasion and backing scum like Bradshaw in a career that has spanned four decades but when I think of Taker, I mostly think of how well he executed the gimmick in the 90s. The matches with Bret, Shawn, and Foley will always be legendary.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think he still enjoys training and working out and doing a match or promo every once in a while. I think he just needs something to do. Most people don’t retire from their jobs at 53. He probably needs a sense of purpose in his life plus I’m sure he makes good money doing it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The most accomplished professional wrestler in world history is trying to perfect his swan song against the wishes of father time. I don't blame him one bit and respect his quest to compete in the ring 100%. Mark Calloway has earned the right to figure himself out and write the final chapter for the Undertaker the way that he wants to.

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,615 Posts
He should retire for his health's sake, but when Vince is cutting him those fat checks it's pretty hard to say no. And Vince will never stop asking him to keep coming back. Taker will have to finally just say no or it will stop when his body literally can't make it to the ring anymore.

I do wonder that if Taker is still active when Vince goes away, will Hunter keep asking him to come back as well?

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
could be any amount of reasons, maybe a combination of a few.

1. taker isnt actually as financially stable as fans think he is and actually needs the money. (at the end of the day, it doesnt matter how much hes earning, its how much hes spending)
2. taker is just scared of retiring because hes spent so long doing the same job and doesnt want to face "what happened after".
3. taker just loves the spotlight and finds reasons to keep going when he likely knows he shouldnt just so he hasnt got to face retirement until later.
4. taker is too loyal to vince to actually say "no" because he wants to help.
5. taker is just trying to rack up as much money as possible for his family whilst he can still wrestle even if it means wrestling badly.

overall, I don't really understand it tbh, taker's body is wrecked and is only going to get worse if he continues to wrestle. Money can only repair your health so much, beyond that he is likely going to spend his later years with a lot of problems that can't be solved.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts