Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whenever a pro wrestler works as a guest referee they normally look nothing like regular referees.

With Zayn it's the compete opposite. A first-time viewer could have been mistaken for thinking he was an actual referee this past Monday. It's not just because he has a regular person's physique. It's also because his look is bland as fuck. At first glance there is little distinction between current referees and Zayn.

I get that not every wrestler should look larger than life. But should WWE really be pushing a wrestler who looks exactly like the average joe? He doesn't exactly scream "superstar" does he? At the very least the WWE should repackage him and cover up his weaknesses.

·
Registered
189 Posts
They could’ve easily fixed this problem by having Zayn wear a sleeveless ref shirt or just wear a regular ref shirt over his in-ring attire to make him stand out so that he’s not mistaken for an actual referee.

But they even failed at that, lol

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,685 Posts
Sami is a great talent with an awful look.

Too big to play a sympathetic underdog babyface

Too regular to look like a threat

And now that he's a chicken shit heel, which better fits his look, his ring work doesn't match up with the gimmick.

Dude needs to up the sleaze factor, he already looks like a barista who'll roofie your latte, now he just needs to creep on the female talent.

He also badly needs to change his ring attire and theme music.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,685 Posts
2 out of 3 of the guys you posted are known roid users.....
I'm pretty sure it's 3/3 but his size isn't the only problem with his look, the guy literally looks like a CAW. Andrade isn't a big dude but if you put a ref's shirt on him nobody would think he's a ref.

·
Asuka
96,536 Posts
I get that not every wrestler should look larger than life. But should WWE really be pushing a wrestler who looks exactly like the average joe? He doesn't exactly scream "superstar" does he? At the very least the WWE should repackage him and cover up his weaknesses.
They're NOT pushing him. What are you complaining about?

I swear, I'm SO tired of this look shit. This is how this company got into the god damn fucking state it's in in the first place, pushing people based on how big of a boner they gave the old man and not their talent. God.....FUCK.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,243 Posts
Sami Zayn had a rocket strapped to his ass! Man, they really launched him to the moon when they took away the El Generico gimmick, stuck him in developmental for 3 years despite 11 years on the independent scene and then they just gave him accolade after accolade, like having him lose every special event match he's been in and winning no main roster championship of any sort in 4 years. Enough with Sami Zayn! Enough! He's taking valuable screen time away from people that look like wrestlers but are about as entertaining as watching flies fuck.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They're NOT pushing him. What are you complaining about?

I swear, I'm SO tired of this look shit. This is how this company got into the god damn fucking state it's in in the first place, pushing people based on how big of a boner they gave the old man and not their talent. God.....FUCK.
Whether you like it or not the look is a big part of pro wrestling.

And yes, he is being pushed to a degree. Or at the least featured in prominent segments. He shared screen time this week with the world champion and was featured in the main event of the show.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
I clearly stated in the OP that the problem with Zayn's look wasn't just his physique.
It's still nonsense. Roman Reigns ticks practically every box imaginable for this all important "look" and he's the drizzling shits.

Drew McIntyre, same deal, no-one gives a fuck. Crickets.

Jinder Mahal, still seen as an absolute joke.

The "look" is not the be-all and end-all of a wrestler. Who are some of the most popular people in WWE in the last 10 years? Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, AJ Styles. None of them had this intimidating scary fucker look that so many here seem to be obsessed with.

·
Asuka
96,536 Posts
Whether you like it or not the look is a big part of pro wrestling.

And yes, he is being pushed to a degree. Or at the least featured in prominent segments. He shared screen time this week with the world champion and was featured in the main event of the show.
No, he isn't being pushed, to any degree. Nobody gives a shit about him being a filler jobber for the world champion. He's a geek, and he's been a geek since his career started in WWE. You're not pushed just because you're in the main event of a show occasionally. You have to actually be presented as a main eventer, which is something he never has been, and never will be. Sami Zayn is one of the FIRST guys Vince would fire if he was forced to go on a firing spree of anybody who's regularly on television. Guaranteed.

Nobody cares about the look, they never have. Look at Dusty Rhodes. He's one of the biggest stars of all time and he was a giant, ugly, fat tub of lard and shit. This is all contrarian bullshit that the IWC made up because they, for some reason, equate a high workrate and small height to having no personality. Vince pushed Hogan as this big muscleman and all of a sudden you people think every big guy has the personality of Hulk Hogan. It doesn't work like that. Newsflash, Kevin Nash is one of the worst draws in the history of WWE. His height didn't help him. Luger, failed, Reigns, failed, Orton, failed, all these big, muscled up geeks have no legacy, despite their "look". The only look that's relevant to them is how much people aren't looking at WWE television when they're on it.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
I knew this was going to be aids. You looks whores are ridiculous. You know the problem with zayn? It's not his looks it's his current character. His playing a bitching whiny pissant badly. Atleast when Owens Jericho or miz do it it's entertaining in a good way

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sami Zayn has the worst look of a pro wrestler and he is so fucking bland.
But he is not pushed down everyones throats like Rollins so i really dont care.
It's still nonsense. Roman Reigns ticks practically every box imaginable for this all important "look" and he's the drizzling shits.

The "look" is not the be-all and end-all of a wrestler. Who are some of the most popular people in WWE in the last 10 years? Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, AJ Styles. None of them had this intimidating scary fucker look that so many here seem to be obsessed with.
Thats purely your opinion looks DO matter in pro wrestling.
Its what separates the current roster of skinny midgets to legends like goldberg and batista.
AJ styles and Daniel bryan are popular in worst era of pro wrestling when nobody is watching that tells you about their popularity.They arent bigger star than Jinder,Roman or Drew.
Guys like Ken Shamrock and Test were more over than any midgets on current roster.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,372 Posts
Sami Zayn has the worst look of a pro wrestler and he is so fucking bland.
But he is not pushed down everyones throats like Rollins so i really dont care.

Thats purely your opinion looks DO matter in pro wrestling.
Its what separates the current roster of skinny midgets to legends like goldberg and batista.
AJ styles and Daniel bryan are popular in worst era of pro wrestling when nobody is watching that tells you about their popularity.They arent bigger star than Jinder,Roman or Drew.
Guys like Ken Shamrock and Test were more over than any midgets on current roster.
Did you just try to claim jinder fucking mahal is a bigger star then Bryan? :heston. That might be the most hilarious thing I have read all year

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Zayn hasn't gotten a push. He's a midcard act who jobs to the main eventers. A perfect spot for him, really.

Not going to lie, he looked like a standard referee out there. Doesn't mean he isn't talented or charismatic but that was obvious :lol

We're in the era of athletics. While aesthetics are still important for a TV environment, the "look" no longer is a prerequisite. Otherwise, Braun would be defending the WWE World title against Lars Sullivan at Summerslam.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts