Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While many people have their inputs when it comes to Del Rio, I thought I'd point out the positives that seem to be neglected due to people only focusing on two wrestling attributes being ring skills and mic skills. What about the many other wrestling attributes that Del Rio excels in?

I do understand that his mic work isn't stellar by any means, but I don't particularly think its the worst in the WWE or in history and those talents were never labeled as "bad" or "horrible". I think its a bit rough to act like Alberto Del Rio isn't talented at all. So some people say his mic work is terrible, while i'll say its average. He certainly isn't the worst I mean look at the roster.

Ring Skills
? His ring skills is definately his strong suit, and he's in the top 5 ring workers in WWE, placing him at number 3 behind Cm Punk and Daniel Bryan. He's the guy that will give you consistent matches to enjoy. His charisma shines through his ring work, mic skills isn't the only way to show that look at Mysterio and Hardy. Del Rio's matches with Big Show, Ziggler, Christian, Rhodes, and among many others have been really good.

Stage Presence
? He has this, he has a way that he carries himself with class and honor, in how he presents himself. The guy looks like a million bucks it'd be weird seeing him the lower card it just wouldn't look right.

Marketable Look? The guy is a good looking guy, and has a great look, this can be tied into stage presence but again he has the look of a champion and just looks like money.

Ring Psychology? There are VERY few wrestlers that have this down pack but Del Rio is one of the strongest wrestlers with this attribute. See his recent match with Cody Rhodes on Main Event a few weeks ago and you'd see exactly what I mean. Just excellent there.

Character/Mannerisms? Currently Del Rio is playing a vicious, very aggressive wrestler, ready to mess up someone. It may be pretty basic but right now he's playing his role nicely. The way he scolds, sneers, and psychs himself during matches are gold. People really should pay attention to things like this because this adds to his recent new heel persona, its different than his last heel run. His beatdowns on Ziggler and Ricardo show off his amazing ability to play what he's doing now. Blame WWE creative for this consistency but Alberto has found a great role and people are ignoring this and saying he's boring? Outside of Punk, Bryan, Orton, and Shield you can say many others on the roster are much more bland see Axel and Justin Gabriel. They are dull at least Del Rio puts emotions and mannerisms in his matches.

Del Rio fans, anything else to add? Anyone agree? In the grand scheme of things I feel that Del Rio has more positives than negatives and these things may seem minor but Del Rio definately stands out compared to 90% of the WWe locker room. You have RVD, Punk, Orton, Bryan, Cena, Show, and HHH ahead of him but what about those midcarders that all seem to be more of the same? Nobody says anything there? Ambrose being the only exception. Really look at the WWE roster folks.

·
Banned
483 Posts
I agree fully.
People who are complaining about his mic skills needs to realize that Mic skills arent the only way to be over. Look at Goldberg or Brock Lesnar, neither were great on mic. But they made it up with other stuff.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I would add that he showed how great he was at Payback. Not everybody can do a bouble turn like that and he did a wonderful job. But you said it all and showed one Del Rio is one of my favorite today

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Well he has good athleticism/cardio for a 6'2 dude, also when he uses Spanish his promos improve a lot and more important hes actually improving lately he takes the mic with a lot of confidence and his promos generate good reactions, he still needs to be booked in a good angle and do something very heel'ish the ADR character it's a dick but I still don't think he has do something really bad in order to be hated like HHH and his corporation it's doing.

·
All out of bubblegum.
5,301 Posts
I agree fully.
People who are complaining about his mic skills needs to realize that Mic skills arent the only way to be over. Look at Goldberg or Brock Lesnar, neither were great on mic. But they made it up with other stuff.
Yeah but they have charisma in someway although to be fair it was largely fake charisma created by booking....

Del Rio for whatever reason, call it charisma, call it what you will, invokes zero emotion from a crowd.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
While Del Rio has his negatives, I think they are outweighed by the positives.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Ring skills are good. Everything else is just terrible. There's nothing unique about the guy, his promos are atrocious, his character is poor (and poorly executed)...there's nothing the least bit 'superstar' about the guy. And evidently, the entire audience agrees because they don't react to him at all. And why would they? There's no reason to care about him. They've tried hard, and failed miserably.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
The positives... he's great in the ring, is a Real Madrid fan and has a very good main event look. He was handed way too much with little reaction from the crowd so I've not been able to appreciate his talent as well as I should've. He deserves some of the criticism for the overpush but I still prefer him to some of the IWC darlings.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I agree. Del Rio is a good wrestler, he just needs more character development. Instead of him jobbing while being the WHC, how about shoot some more vignettes from his mansion in Mexico? Let us see him being a hero to the Mexican people for once, eh? Have Jim Ross interview him from there or something. This is simple character building. Having Del Rio play this rich guy is like never seeing Bruce Wayne be a pimp ass mofo or never seeing Batman's batcave. Hell, they even took ADR's damn cars away!

·
Registered
619 Posts
This guy (Along with Axel btw) get SO much unwarranted shit. Axel I understand (sort of) but Del Rio? Lol fuck off.

Reminds me of a Mexican JBL, I love when he's involved, guy oozes class.

·
CATALYST
2,636 Posts
ADR is awesome in the ring. Can't think one ADR match that's bad.

But other than that, he's horrible for making the World Title forgettable. He needs to drop it ASAP.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Oh I thought of a positive. At least he's not in the Corporation story. Imagine if instead of heel Orton it was ADR? Holy shit, would that suck.

My biggest beef with Del Rio is that he's not entertaining, aside from good in ring skill. In every other aspect of the industry, he's garbage.

·
CATALYST
2,636 Posts
Oh I thought of a positive. At least he's not in the Corporation story. Imagine if instead of heel Orton it was ADR? Holy shit, would that suck.

My biggest beef with Del Rio is that he's not entertaining, aside from good in ring skill. In every other aspect of the industry, he's garbage.
His in-ring skills compensate for his lack of character, for me at least.

ADR would be a nice addition to the Corporation story. It'll do the title some good so it won't look like an afterthought and elevate him even more. His character would fit with the whole "Good for Business" theme of The Corporation.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
I would add that he showed how great he was at Payback. Not everybody can do a bouble turn like that and he did a wonderful job. But you said it all and showed one Del Rio is one of my favorite today
This.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
His in-ring skills compensate for his lack of character, for me at least.

ADR would be a nice addition to the Corporation story. It'll do the title some good so it won't look like an afterthought and elevate him even more. His character would fit with the whole "Good for Business" theme of The Corporation.
Doesn't do it in my case. He is so horrendously boring. Like remember a couple weeks ago when he interrupted Christian's backstage promo and then cut a promo entirely in Spanish? Why? It was idiotic and most people didn't understand it. His promo work is terrible and nothing about him feels exceptional. Unfortunately, they decide to give him mic time where he barely gets through a promo. The pacing, the articulation, the conveyance of the point, all of it is shit. And despite what people say, he's not getting better. "CHRISTYAN, AT SOOMERSLAM, I WILL DEFEND MY WOORLD HEVYAWEIGHT CHOMPYONSHIP!" I get he has an accent, but fuck, Eddie did as well, and he was a million times better. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING, he gets involved with just becomes tainted with awfulness. Summer of Punk, the Sheamus feud, his feud with Orton, the Swagger feud, etc. If there's ever something I feel that I can afford to miss by going to the bathroom, its the diva or an ADR segment/match because nothing ever happens.

And I want him to stay far away from the Corporation storyline because of that, because his presence will just end up ruining it, as well. The Corporation is getting great heat, you don't attach the heat killer to that angle. I cringe thinking about Trips cutting a wicked heel promo and then hearing Snore-Rio babbling in and out of Spanish about how great he is and how its his destiny.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts