Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Audio of Pope D'Angelo Dinero on Right After Wrestling is available at http://radio.thescore.com/.

Here is a highlight, featuring Pope discussing his promos� "TNA (script) says, 'Pope walks in, Pope cuts a promo, Pope leaves'. It's that simple. That makes it fun. It doesn't say, 'Pope enters, Pope says "I'm the Pope, who are you, this is why I don't like you"... no! TNA says "go be Pope". Can't no 40 year old white dude write a promo on how a black guy from Harlem, New York is supposed to act! They never been in black skin! They don't know where this gimmick has evolved from, so kudos to TNA for giving me that freedom."

Good to see TNA lets wrestlers have some freedom like this because The Pope is right there is some things a 40 could not think of or know what will sell to a younger crowd, or someone who is from New York trying to sell a character to the south.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
They give a lot of freedom to guys for there promos in TNA, Pope is a excellent promo guy and its not surprising that his one of them that gets freedom.

·
Squared Circle Gimmick
5,371 Posts
That's how this Business is supposed to be, Guys or Gals going out there and doing what they believe in. Listen to THEIR and let them be them.

It makes it that much more fun, for everyone.

Kudos to Elijah "Pope" Burke. Preaching the truth.

·
TNA Believer
4,293 Posts
For the importance of wrestlers getting some freedom with the mic i quote Bruce Prichard on Steve Austin:

"There’s a guy over in TNA (Vince Russo) who has taken credit over the years for the creation of ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin, The Rock, and people like that. At the end of the day, the guy who deserves credit for ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin is Steve Austin. He went out and delivered. Steve went out, and he was ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin 24/7. When Russo used to write up all these scripts, Steve would look at it, crumple it up, and throw it in the trash. Steve would go out, and he had a rapport with Vince McMahon, and he used to come to me and say ‘I wanna say this.’ I said ‘Hey man, that’s life, so if you wanna take the ass-chewing when you get back, do what you think is right.’ After a while, Steve gambled, and went out, and he did what he thought was right. He had an ear, and he knew what was working, and what they were buying and weren’t buying, and at the end of the day, it may not have been the ideal creative situation that was created, but Steve made it his own, and made it bigger than anything that’s ever been done in the business. Without talent, you can have the greatest creative in the world -- if they can’t deliver, it doesn’t matter."

·
A superhero that saves your GF from your sex game.
3,830 Posts
Anderson said the exact same thing in a video that I saw a while back...that's one of the things he loves about TNA. They tell him what points to hit and basically lets him be him. No scripts at all.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
i'm sorta confused by the whole thing.

so, even though he's from jacksonville, just because he's black he knows how a guy from Harlem acts? and i've been to Harlem, i did not see a lot of people acting like D'Angelo Dinero, not a lot of pimping popes out there.

but anyway, as for the whole letting him do his promo thing, that's good. they should do that. the guy is a personality, and has a natural way with the mic. they should continue to let him do his thing.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anderson said the exact same thing in a video that I saw a while back...that's one of the things he loves about TNA. They tell him what points to hit and basically lets him be him. No scripts at all.
It's cool to hear Anderson say that he has alot of frre room to say what he wants as well.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It's good to see that The Pope gets the freedom to cut his own promos. Just let the guy be himself and he could possibly be the franchise face of the company. It'd be so easy to market Dinero, so I hope that TNA gives him the ball soon and push him to be a main event player.

Mr. Anderson also needs a title run too, though. Preferably as a heel although a face run wouldn't be too bad I guess. Just like The Pope can do, Mr. Anderson can work his own.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I was just about to say; why hasn't he been cutting promos lately? He got over due to his persona and then they lessen his mic time? What? :rolleyes:
It's hard to invest time into a guy who right when he gets hot with the fans ends up getting injured. Already this year he's had an ankle injury and a serious shoulder injury. Plus Tommy Dreamer, dude has been getting WAY too much time, in fact, does anyone ever want to see him on their screen again? People think Nash/Sting get too much time? Puh-fucking-lease, they get peanuts compared to Dreamer, and Nash/Sting are FAR more entertaining.

·
Registered
549 Posts
listening to it a bit more, he says he feels his mic time has been lessened for some reason
I definitely agree with him here, and it's baffling how it's been allowed to happen. Even when he was injured, he should've been out there cutting promos like Punk did on Smackdown when his arm was in a sling.
Sadly, the last truly awesome Pope promos I can remember were during his feud with Flair/AJ.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Unfortunely Pope will never become the man who carried the gold of the company (Heavy weight belt) at least until early next year. except Angle, Hardy, RVD and AJ and also Hogan, Sting, JJ are being kick out by TNA.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts