Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people seem to make it seem like Undertaker was always loved and worshipped whether he was a heel or face, but many often forget that during his Ministry of Darkness era, fans shat on him like crazy. It had nothing to do with him playing a very evil satanic gimmick at all, people just hated his segments and matches during this time, and they thought he was very boring. You could start to tell people were getting sick of him starting at Judgement Day 1998, his match vs Kane, which seemed like it would be a big deal, was the farthest thing from, fans were chanting boring during the whole match and all the energy was sucked from the building the entire time until Austin did his shtick. Also, he would do very long satanic ritual segments during his full Ministry phrase and people would also chant boring and call for Austin during these segments, i'm not sure if was boring or too drawn out for them, but they certainly didn't care for it. One of the funnier moments was when he sacrified Dennis Knight and slit his wrists and force fed him the blood and all the fans started chanting "BULLSHIT! x100", and of course who can't forget his match with Big Boss Man at WM15, which is considered one of the worst matches, if not, the worst match in Wrestlemania history, you know there's a problem when the crowd doesn't react one bit to a man being hung from a cell.

·
Registered
267 Posts
IDK, I always thought he was just getting a heel reaction, or just getting the reaction that anyone would normally get when they opposed Austin. I thought it was pretty cool when he would put Austin on the cross, Stephanie on the cross, the stuff like that. I thought it was great.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Did Taker do something recently that I'm not aware of? What's with all of these sudden hate threads about him?
At this point, the mods should might as well make a section on the site dedicated to hate threads. Least then it'll stop the spam.

·
Butter My Arse
11,797 Posts
I just read the entire OP in JBLs voice after The Blue Meanie tried to steal his morning newspaper and it made for quite the hilarious outcome.

·
Fearless University Graduate
16,684 Posts
Did Taker do something recently that I'm not aware of? What's with all of these sudden hate threads about him?
Yeah whats happened? Whats with all the Undertaker hate threads? Is it because he called these failed gymnasts parading as Pro Wrestlers today "soft".

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah whats happened? Whats with all the Undertaker hate threads? Is it because he called these failed gymnasts parading as Pro Wrestlers today "soft".
Dude I agree with Taker about that, the wrestlers today are too soft. Just because Taker said that doesn't mean he can't be criticised, hell I wasn't even really criticising him, I was just pointing out the facts on how people felt about him at that time.

·
NBA
5,809 Posts
Takerxplotation backlash. I think wwe doing so many docs and faux retirement moments with him these past 3 years have set some people against him, so you got that same people remembering that wrestling press used to diss him in the early 00s and hyperbolizing it into crowds hating his guts so as to say "See? Taker was crap and here's the proof", as if that were going to somehow deter Vince from unleashing a ton more of Taker docs and specials on us like a biblical plague.

For what is worth, I'm sick and tired of Taker getting a doc or a especial episode each 2 weeks myself, so can understand the gut feeling, even if the way to go about it is silly.

Reactions: llj

·
Likes wrestling....
9,403 Posts
Takerxplotation backlash. I think wwe doing so many docs and faux retirement moments with him these past 3 years have set some people against him, so you got that same people remembering that wrestling press used to diss him in the early 00s and hyperbolizing it into crowds hating his guts so as to say "See? Taker was crap and here's the proof", as if that were going to somehow deter Vince from unleashing a ton more of Taker docs and specials on us like a biblical plague.

For what is worth, I'm sick and tired of Taker getting a doc or a especial episode each 2 weeks myself, so can understand the gut feeling, even if the way to go about it is silly.
Nah it is simply that Taker said the locker room was soft.

Been here for a decade very few people posted anti-Talker threads There have been at least five since then. Modern day wrestling fan just hates any critical feedback.

·
Fearless University Graduate
16,684 Posts
Nah it is simply that Taker said the locker room was soft.

Been here for a decade very few people posted anti-Talker threads There have been at least five since then. Modern day wrestling fan just hates any critical feedback.
Yep spot on. Fans of the modern day wrestling 'style' just cant handle any criticism towards this current Era, and need to hear constantly that all these bland generic looking acrobats are the best ever.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well you guys can put words into my mouth all you want, but I wholeheartedly agree with what Undertaker said, wrestlers nowadays are soft af

·
Registered
445 Posts
Undertaker's contribution in the attitude era is overrated. He was completely irrelevant after summerslam 1998

• competed in the worst ppv main event matches of year 1998 (Breakdown, Judgment day & Rock bottom)
  • his ministry of darkness character was the worst incarnation of undertaker's character
  • was apart of the worst storyline ever (higher power angle)
  • was so bad in the ring that even austin couldn't carry him to a decent match
  • had the worst match of all-time at wrestlemania 15
  • got destroyed on the mic by the rock to the point that he needed a gimmick change, cause nobody was taking him seriously anymore
  • was a dick behind the scene to Paul Wight to the point he thought about committing suicide
  • was suposed to comeback at the royal rumble 2000, but tear his pec on the bench press because of ego lifting
  • his american badass gimmick was directionless from the get go and was in terrible shape
  • Would had fit in the disciples of apocalypse stable surrounded with jobbers
  • he squashed and tried to bury an all-time great (kurt angle) at fully loaded 2000, cause Undertaker is really selective on who he wants to put over
  • his survivor series 2000 attire is a good representation of his ABA character : cringe as fuck
  • Steve Austin, Rock, DX, Vince, Sable, **** Foley, Kurt Angle, The Hardyz, The Dudleyz, the Outlaws, Lita, Chyna, Jericho, the Godfather (the list goes on and on) were all more over than the Undertaker in the Attitude Era
  • couldn't never be the guy, so the roster was left with no top babyface after wrestlemania 17
  • was a dick to DDP
  • the notion that he's a locker room leader is a big myth
  • was basically a midcarder until he won the undisputed title against Hogan in a god awful match
Sara?

·
Registered
158 Posts
The go away heat you're talking about is utter bullshit. A good heel has to make people hate him, and Undertaker did that when he was the Ministry of Darkness, so he did job well.

The "go away heat" crap is what people say when a heel they don't like gets booed, you know, when people don't want to give credit to a heel they say "nah, it's just go away heat"

Whether you like it or not, the truth is Taker was a great heel when he was the Ministry of Darkness, and the crowd booing and hating him proves it, period.

Talking about go away heat is pointless, because by that logic we can diminish every heel star in the history of wrestling, saying that what they got is just go away heat

·
Registered
97 Posts
As someone who started watching in 2000, I always liked watching him up until WM 28 really. That's when I really felt like the guy is just too old and that bald hair style was just awful.

I've rewatched from 1996 onwards on the network and never got bored of him either.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
His segment with Dennis Knight got backlash from the live crowd, but Id say that the general audience never turned on him as a character at any point. There was the risk towards the end that this might happen as it was clear that he was only wrestling once a year, but WWE made it work.

·
Southern Pride
4,533 Posts
This is why people roll their eyes every time someone mentions "go away heat". That term is always only used when someone dislikes a wrestler so much that they are looking for any excuse to validate their opinion. If you want someone to actually "go away" then don't react to them at all. Otherwise they are going to take the negative reaction as them being successful, regardless of what "type" of heat that you think it is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts