Wrestling Forum banner

The Point of the TV title?

6029 14
I always wondered what the point of a TV title was. Was it just a title to give to the undercarders or what? I never understood what a TV title represented.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
23,897 Posts
It was a title that you could give to undercard guys to help get them over and prepare them for main event run, it could also be used for an older wrestling giving him that one spotlight.

· Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,281 Posts
it's basically the European Title, in all honesty I havn't got a clue why it's called the TV Title

· Registered
4,669 Posts
The idea behind a television title in a promotion was usually that it was either defended every week on television or exclusively on television shows. Also, most of the matches would have arbitrary time limits and/or mandatory defense rules. They made sense in the early days of big promotions when title changes at house shows were commonplace. Basically you could call it a gimmick belt.

Arn Anderson's reign as NWA Television Champion was one of the greatest ever, since he would stall matches to run out the time limit and wait until the last possible day to defend the belt.

· GOAT
4,616 Posts
A lot of ECW fans see their Televison Title as more prestigious than the World Heavyweight Title. That's arguably why RVD was the greatest wrestler never to be world champion (before WWECW), the TV title was defended more, and he held it for nearly 2 years.

· Registered
5,813 Posts
There's a difference though. WCW's version of the TV title came below the US title in running order, but ECW's version was almost as important as the world title.

I like the fact it's a title always fought on television and not just PPV, be good to see title changes on Raw and Smackdown every now and again.

· Anti-Hero
11,709 Posts
Like any title, the belt is only as prestigious as the talent that holds it. Rob Van Dam didn't chase the TV title because it was an important championship, it was an important championship because Van Dam held and defended it. He made it important. The same could be said for the aforementioned AA NWA TV title reign. Or the IC title while held by great champs like Steamboat, Savage, Perfect, Hart etc.

· Registered
5,005 Posts
It was just a third championship usually for lower mid card guys (this was in WCW). As mentioned before certain guys made the belt and the belt didn't make them RVD and Steven Regal were the best tv champions I've ever seen. Regal played the time limit and had great matches that saw Regal trying to retain his belt via time limit draw if he couldn't beat the guy. For RVD (in ECW) the tv title hindered him because the time limit would always stop a great match leaving the fans wanting more but it wasn't really used to save RVD from losing but to make the show more exciting.
TNA's tv title matches between AJ and the english guy were good and it keeps the spirit of what the title has always been about. Having exciting televised matches

· Banned
2,204 Posts
TNA, IC Title, unfortunately

I always thought a tv title was a title made for tv only while all the others arent

· Banned
2,204 Posts
i thought it was given to the guy that was drawing the most ratings on TV so nowadays if the TV title was still around it would go to the coolaid man, of course i could be wrong...
interesting idea i must say

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.