Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was just browsing some video's from the Gameboy on Youtube as I saw some suggestions at the side and ended up watching a few. Of course the Gameboy was huge when it was released and even though the Gameboy colour came after, I'm not sure it quite reached the success of the original Gameboy?

Either way, I thought it would be cool to see what you guys thought to the original Gameboy and the games that it had? They may not have been fantastic graphic wise and may not have been been in colour, but they did seem to be quality games so what are your thoughts in regards to this.

Super Mario Land is one of those games that you could play over and over again, of course there was the original Tetris on there and even some cool WWF games I believe. So what are your thoughts?

Memories and great games of the original Gameboy? I would love to hear :)

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
Honestly only played 2 things on my gameboy & it was the gameboy colour

Pokemon Yellow & Blue

Yellow was more of a challenge to begin with as Pikachu is basically ineffective against Brock so I had to grind for a Butterfree to even stand a chance

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts
The Pokémon franchise was the shit. Super Mario Bros was awesome as well! The Wario series were cool too.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Pokémon franchise was the shit. Super Mario Bros was awesome as well! The Wario series were cool too.

A mate of mine was mad on Pokemon. I've heard these games are so good. Never played them, but heard a lot about them :)

I'm gunna flash it back, all the way to Tetris. So boss in the early 90's
Ha. Tetris was cool. Did you manage to complete it? It did have a final level didn't it? :)

·
Scared of My Own Shadow
2,968 Posts
Man that was something, wasn't it? I remember when my dad brought home the first Gameboy. I remember it because he had got it for my brother and I was SO FUCKING PISSED. I don't know why he bought but he did. I must've thrown the biggest temper tantrum ever because a couple weeks later I got my own and everything was right in the world.

The games I remember having are Super Mario Land, Tetris, WWF Superstars, Nintendo Baseball, Nintendo World Cup (English & German teams were damn near impossible to beat). My brother and I played Superstars a lot and I remember there being a glitch with the that if you tried to throw them outside the ring close to one of the turnbuckles on the screen where you could go outside, the opponent would scroll on the screen endlessly until they were attacked. Oh, and that theme song in Super Mario Land in World 4 I always thought would make an awesome song for a ninja or Asian inspired wrestler for a created wrestler in one of these WWE games.

I loved my original Gameboy, I just wish I knew the value of such things and took better care of it. Even years later when my dad got me a Sega Game Gear (which I hardly every played because batteries lasted like two hours) and bought myself a GameBoy Color later on, still doesn't match the original Gameboy in my opinion. Plus there were so many attachments you could get for the original Gameboy back in the day it was so ridiculous.

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts
A mate of mine was mad on Pokemon. I've heard these games are so good. Never played them, but heard a lot about them :)
It's never too late! You can even play them on Simulators on your PC or Smartphone by now. Sure, Pokémon was
a succes in general butit was the games that got me hooked. The RPG feel was so amazing.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man that was something, wasn't it? I remember when my dad brought home the first Gameboy. I remember it because he had got it for my brother and I was SO FUCKING PISSED. I don't know why he bought but he did. I must've thrown the biggest temper tantrum ever because a couple weeks later I got my own and everything was right in the world.

The games I remember having are Super Mario Land, Tetris, WWF Superstars, Nintendo Baseball, Nintendo World Cup (English & German teams were damn near impossible to beat). My brother and I played Superstars a lot and I remember there being a glitch with the that if you tried to throw them outside the ring close to one of the turnbuckles on the screen where you could go outside, the opponent would scroll on the screen endlessly until they were attacked. Oh, and that theme song in Super Mario Land in World 4 I always thought would make an awesome song for a ninja or Asian inspired wrestler for a created wrestler in one of these WWE games.

I loved my original Gameboy, I just wish I knew the value of such things and took better care of it. Even years later when my dad got me a Sega Game Gear (which I hardly every played because batteries lasted like two hours) and bought myself a GameBoy Color later on, still doesn't match the original Gameboy in my opinion. Plus there were so many attachments you could get for the original Gameboy back in the day it was so ridiculous.
Ha, what an awesome story lol. Yeah the colour one's that came after you would have thought would have been better and taken over the original but they didn't really did they?

There was Atari Lynx too. I don't know if this came before Gameboy colour or what but I heard about this coming out too after the Gameboy I think.

It's never too late! You can even play them on Simulators on your PC or Smartphone by now. Sure, Pokémon was
a succes in general butit was the games that got me hooked. The RPG feel was so amazing.
What was the difference between the colours? I remember hearing of Pokemon Red, Pokemon Blue etc... someone just mentioned Red also lol

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts
What was the difference between the colours? I remember hearing of Pokemon Red, Pokemon Blue etc... someone just mentioned Red also lol
The difference is a small amount of exclusive Pokémons for each version. It was designed like that so people would
interact with other players and trade in order to collect them all. This way you could also battle your friends.
After a few generations though it was possible to trade through WiFi making things way easier. You can now also
trade Pokémons frome earlier generations to your current game. There's also a Green version available but only in
Japan if I'm not mistaken. The Yellow version was quite popular because instead of choosing one out of the three starters,
you'd start out with Pikachu and obtain each starter later on in the game.

There's a lot you can do. From breeding for hours to get the perfect movest and status to actually compete with the best
players or simply to get that shiny version. A shinyversion is extremely rare version of a Pokémon, and despite being purely
cosmetic, it looks awesome. It's basically just a sprite with differen colouring. Besides the sprites it's a timeless classic imo.
I could still enjoy it and I've finished thoselike over and over again. You can breed competitive teams with a unique synergy or
you could try and collect all Pokémon including Legendaries in order to.. well, catch 'em all! Highly recommended if you're into
base-turned RPG's. Nothing nicer than grinding Gym after Gym, which are basically area bosses, only to get your ass kicked
when you battle the Elite Four. The difficulty lever varies from Generation to Generation but most are quite easy, especially the
later ones.

Reactions: Rave Bunny

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The difference is a small amount of exclusive Pokémons for each version. It was designed like that so people would
interact with other players and trade in order to collect them all. This way you could also battle your friends.
After a few generations though it was possible to trade through WiFi making things way easier. You can now also
trade Pokémons frome earlier generations to your current game. There's also a Green version available but only in
Japan if I'm not mistaken. The Yellow version was quite popular because instead of choosing one out of the three starters,
you'd start out with Pikachu and obtain each starter later on in the game.

There's a lot you can do. From breeding for hours to get the perfect movest and status to actually compete with the best
players or simply to get that shiny version. A shinyversion is extremely rare version of a Pokémon, and despite being purely
cosmetic, it looks awesome. It's basically just a sprite with differen colouring. Besides the sprites it's a timeless classic imo.
I could still enjoy it and I've finished thoselike over and over again. You can breed competitive teams with a unique synergy or
you could try and collect all Pokémon including Legendaries in order to.. well, catch 'em all! Highly recommended if you're into
base-turned RPG's. Nothing nicer than grinding Gym after Gym, which are basically area bosses, only to get your ass kicked
when you battle the Elite Four. The difficulty lever varies from Generation to Generation but most are quite easy, especially the
later ones.
Ha yeah. It sounds like a pretty big game that's been on going too. What is that recent Pokemon game that people have gone mad over lately that's on the phones? I think it uses Google Maps or something too to find Pokemon outside. Has that kinda evolved from these games cause it sounds quite similar in regards to catching them and things too. Although I have no idea what you do with them when you catch them on the new one. I think it's called Pokemon Go or something but I know people have gone nuts over it lol

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts
Ha yeah. It sounds like a pretty big game that's been on going too. What is that recent Pokemon game that people have gone mad over lately that's on the phones? I think it uses Google Maps or something too to find Pokemon outside. Has that kinda evolved from these games cause it sounds quite similar in regards to catching them and things too. Although I have no idea what you do with them when you catch them on the new one. I think it's called Pokemon Go or something but I know people have gone nuts over it lol
It's called Pokémon Go indeed. It hasn't got anything to do with the game franchise by Gamefreak.
Interesting concept but it died out after a while. Kudos for the concept and excecution though.
They still make Nintendo handheld versions by the way.

·
Scared of My Own Shadow
2,968 Posts
Ha, what an awesome story lol. Yeah the colour one's that came after you would have thought would have been better and taken over the original but they didn't really did they?

There was Atari Lynx too. I don't know if this came before Gameboy colour or what but I heard about this coming out too after the Gameboy I think.

I heard of the Lynx but never had a chance to play it. I don't think I was too impressed with the Game Gear. It was like $300 new back in the early 90s and I never had any other game other than Sonic the Hedgehog, which came with. I guess my dad never considered buying me additional games after dropping that much money, lol. It cost more money to keep it running (in batteries) more than anything else. Also went back to my Gameboy for sure.

I like my GBC got it earlier in my 20s, in fact I still have it. I used to play that thing all the time on my lunch break at work. It was how I got into the Fire Pro Wrestling genre, so I owe a bit of appreciation to it, lol..

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Donkey Kong for the gameboy is an amazing video game, one of the best on the system for sure.

Pokémon Red & Blue are classics.

TLOZ: Link's Awakening is fantastic, top down Zelda is just amazing and wasn't really used by Nintendo outside of Lttp and handhelds so that game is a must buy.

Shantae is another classic, great Metroid vania style game for the gameboy, very good to see the franchise come back with a bunch of sequels because this one got alot of attentions.

There is alot more stuff on the gameboy i wanna get my hands on like Mega Man Xtreme, Donkey Kong Land and Metroid 2.

·
Doki Doki Literature Club!
537 Posts
Pokemon, easily. More specifically, Pokemon Yellow. :angel

Ah memories... Pikachu was useless against Brock so I had to catch a Nidoran (male) and train it until it learned "Double Kick." Then I completely neglected Pikachu once I got my Eevee in Celadon City. :aj3

Now I feel like downloading the game onto my PC just to play it (for nostalgic purposes, of course)...

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts

Ah memories... Pikachu was useless against Brock so I had to catch a Nidoran (male) and train it until it learned "Double Kick." Then I completely neglected Pikachu once I got my Eevee in Celadon City. :aj3

Now I feel like downloading the game onto my PC just to play it (for nostalgic purposes, of course)...

I'd definitely call myself a connoisseur of the genre ..or as you said, a 'nerd' :xavier
It was my childhood. I've downloaded Pokémon Yellow a couple of years ago on my phone.
Both addictive as nostalgic at the same time.

Yeah, Brock could be a bitch if you didn't have the right Pokémon..

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I heard of the Lynx but never had a chance to play it. I don't think I was too impressed with the Game Gear. It was like $300 new back in the early 90s and I never had any other game other than Sonic the Hedgehog, which came with. I guess my dad never considered buying me additional games after dropping that much money, lol. It cost more money to keep it running (in batteries) more than anything else. Also went back to my Gameboy for sure.

I like my GBC got it earlier in my 20s, in fact I still have it. I used to play that thing all the time on my lunch break at work. It was how I got into the Fire Pro Wrestling genre, so I owe a bit of appreciation to it, lol..
Yeah. I think I had a Gameboy Colour at some point too. I remember having Broken Sword for it but that's all. I think my sister gave me it. I probably had something else but Broken Sword is what I remember lol

I used to play WWF Superstars and Tetris...Those were the days LoL
Ace games ha. There was a WWF Superstars 2 I think with The Mountie on the cover too, sure I saw that when I googled it :)

Donkey Kong for the gameboy is an amazing video game, one of the best on the system for sure.

Pokémon Red & Blue are classics.

TLOZ: Link's Awakening is fantastic, top down Zelda is just amazing and wasn't really used by Nintendo outside of Lttp and handhelds so that game is a must buy.

Shantae is another classic, great Metroid vania style game for the gameboy, very good to see the franchise come back with a bunch of sequels because this one got alot of attentions.

There is alot more stuff on the gameboy i wanna get my hands on like Mega Man Xtreme, Donkey Kong Land and Metroid 2.
I've never played Donkey Kong on there but it sounds ace! Megaman is awesome, again noit played on Gameboy but the games are ace anyway!!

This is clearly very popular :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts