Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious who invented the move and why is it called Tombstone Piledriver. I'm pretty sure the Undertaker uses the move because of its name and not vice versa. As far as I know Dynamite Kid has been using the move during the 80's...

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Pretty sure I heard Black Tiger, Mark Rocco, innovated it. A cursory glance at Wikipedia says that Takao Omori was the inventer of the move. So, likely one of those, both would be pre-Dynamite who you're right, did use the move.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You know what's weird? I was thinking about the exact same thing yesterday and I was going to make a thread on it. Strange.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pretty sure I heard Black Tiger, Mark Rocco, innovated it. A cursory glance at Wikipedia says that Takao Omori was the inventer of the move. So, likely one of those, both would be pre-Dynamite who you're right, did use the move.
Um... Takao Omori's Axe Guillotine Driver is a kneeling back to belly piledriver, whether Tombstone is belly to belly. And he started wrestling in 1992. Definitely not the right answer.

Dunno about Mark Rocco. Any proof links or videos?

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Yeah, obviously Omori's wrong, he's not someone I'm overly familiar with and it shows you can't trust wikipedia.

As for Black Tiger, it was definately a kneeling belly to belly he used, and I've heard that he was the innovator. Whether it's true, I couldn't tell you, and I certainly don't have the knowledge of 80s Japanese wrestling to tell you what the move was called there. Try asking in the Other Wrestling section, there are some posters there who may know what you're asking.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Very good question, I will rep you for it :) I was going to post a thread on this too as I absolutely adore the tombstone piledriver.

I believe this move originated in Memphis Wrestling where Bill Dromo a.k.a Super Destroyer debuted his variant of the reverse piledriver called 'Super Paralyzer'. This was apparently the first tombstone piledriver as we know it today.

Here's a very interesting video to corroborate that theory:

There is another video which discusses Bill's disqualification in this match, as using any variant of the piledriver was banned in that contest. I think a review panel later reversed this decision and ruled that the TS is _not_ actually a piledriver, but this was more of them exploiting a loophole to legalize a dangerous move. If anyone has another version of this story, I'd be glad to hear it.

As for the etymology, I'm going to present a wild ramble: Close your eyes and vividly imagine the moment when the Undertaker's knees hits the floor and the opponent who was previously wedged between his legs falls out flat in front of him. I can almost 'see' a tombstone-like shape at that moment, with Taker being the 'Tombstone' and the fallen opponent being the grave. This is probably reverse-anthropomorphism at some levels, but whatever. When I was a kid, that's what the reason I came up with for why it's called that.

The Tombstone Piledriver is easily the BEST finisher in pro-wrestling; Kane and Undertaker wouldn't be my favorite superstars if not for this mesmerizing move.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dynamite Kid invented it.

An undertaker buries people in graves aka tombstones so that is where the tombstone piledriver came from.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DevilsFavouriteDem, that's very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Heh, found another early variation, by Billy Robinson. At 1:40 in this video.

·
Registered
218 Posts
DevilsFavouriteDem, that's very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Heh, found another early variation, by Billy Robinson. At 1:40 in this video.
Over the shoulder belly-to-belly piledriver eh? Pretty cool stuff :)

Maybe the other poster is right in attributing the name 'Tombstone Piledriver' to the Undertaker, but I somehow doubt that because on Taker's debut one of the announcers clearly says, "I think that's the tombstone piledriver" which gives me the feeling that the name has been around for ages.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
i remember it being called a reverse piledriver when don morroco used it. i only remember it being called the tombstone when the undertaker started using it

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yeah Ive seen it done alot of times back in Japan before Undertaker debut as just a normal move and not a finisher

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I remember Finlay using Tombstone Piledriver as a finisher in WCW. I don't know when he started using the move...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Over the shoulder belly-to-belly piledriver eh? Pretty cool stuff :)

Maybe the other poster is right in attributing the name 'Tombstone Piledriver' to the Undertaker, but I somehow doubt that because on Taker's debut one of the announcers clearly says, "I think that's the tombstone piledriver" which gives me the feeling that the name has been around for ages.
Well, the announcers usually know the name of debuting finishers, they'll usually say something like "he calls that the....."

If I'm not mistaken, the origin of the name and the most common name is similar to the Sharpshooter, the Sharpshooter was around before Bret was taught it by Konnan (who was Max Moon at the time), it was called Sasori-gatame or Scorpion Hold in English, Sting started using it before Bret as well, but when Bret started using it, Sharpshooter caught on. Same with the Tombstone and Taker.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts