Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
HEADBANGA
23,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few months people have been complaining about Sheamus title reign saying it's boring and that he's the second coming of John Cena. The real issue with him and the title is that he's not in any real danger or faces a threat that's greater than him. Having him feud with a jobber like Ziggler, or hack like Del Rio doesn't give us any sense of him in danger of him losing his title. They should pair him with someone more dominant than himself (Big Show, Ryback, Henry), or a heel more vicious or barbaric (Randy Orton). Seeing him cut a promo saying he can't wait to beat Ziggler/Del Rio doesn't sell a feud or makes you want to watch the match knowing full well it's going to be predictable.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Not just that, but WWE is making it more and more obvious that the WHC is the #2 belt in WWE.

Look at Raw for example, they even announced that only the WWE title MITB will contain former champs. That basically says that former champs deserve to go after WWE title while everyone else can go for WHC.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Sheamus vs a heel Orton would definitely give me more reason to watch Smackdown, I can say.

Just give Orton's punt back and we're good to go.

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Okay, now when he faces Orton and his reign is still shit. I wonder what excuses the fans of Sheamus are going to make -___-

·
HEADBANGA
23,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, now when he faces Orton and his reign is still shit. I wonder what excuses the fans of Sheamus are going to make -___-
Well it just boils down to how they book the feud. If they have Sheamus deal with the old Viper Randy Orton then we're gonna have some exciting television and matches. But if it's any but that then yea Sheamus reign is royally fucked just like his two previous ones.

·
Premium Member
19,333 Posts
Nah, the one thing that is hurting his reign the most is the character they have made him become. He's the pale John Cena and it's obvious. It doesn't matter if he's facing Henry or Big Show when he roles on by them with that stupid grin on his face it would be no different than when he does the pale Cena routine with Ziggler. At least Ziggler can pull a decent match out of him. The result of the match would be the same no matter who he faces.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Since Bryan left the picture Sheamus hasn't really had much of a feud to work with. The Del Rio angle is all over the place. The Ziggler angle doesn't work because it's dominant face versus underdog heel which leaves everyone confused as to who they are supposed to be rooting for.

Also Sheamus has been booked either too strong or against smaller guys so he never looks in danger of losing the belt. How it's set the only credible way of himlosing the title is through cheating or (what I suspect will happen) cashing in the WHC breifcase. But the problem then is he'll just win it back and we're left with the same problem all over again.

If WWE had bothered utilising the talent and building them up we could have had a great three way feud between Sheamus, Barrett and McIntyre.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
All sheamus promos consist of him saying he is going to kick his opponents ass,thats it.The way he has been booked as superhuman hurts the reign as well and imo just the sheer dullness of his ring style.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's always better when the face is chasing the heel with the title. I think that's part of the problem with the all of the title reigns these days...a face should really hold it for a few months then give it back to the heel and go back in the chase. Either that or they can put a new up and coming heel over the face at Summerslam a la Brock and Rock at Summerslam '02. Everything is just booked ass backwards these days.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Aaaaaannddd another Sheamus hate thread. fpalm

Sheamus's reign has been pretty decent. It could be way better yes but it's not horrible as many are claiming. It's going to improve once he starts feuding with Alberto Del Rio and then maybe eventually Randy Orton.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Has anyone even done anything to put Sheamus in any sort of danger since his reign began? I feel like this guy hasn't faced any sort of adversity whatsoever. They are essentially trying get Sheamus over by making him a protagonist who never has any conflict, which is not the way you tell a good story and certainly not the way you get a guy over.

EDIT: Is anyone actually "hating" on Sheamus in this thread? Seems like a pretty logical discussion to me.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,306 Posts
Anybody he's supposed to wrestle he's repeatedly beaten clean. The problem with being booked too dominant is that it can make the matches dull. Just like Cena being the "underdog" and all his matches being built around this idea of "Can Cena overcome the odds?" Yeah, he'll overcome the odds. He loses 4 times a year tops and loses clean once every 3 or 4 years. He'll OVERCOME THE ODDS AGAIN OH MY LORD JESUS WHAT A SHOCKER!!! 8*D

Sheamus/ADR/Ziggler Triple Threat is childishly easy to predict. Ricardo will interfere and get killed by Sheamus or Ziggler. Ziggler takes a Brogue Kick AGAIN and gets pinned by it AGAIN. Or else there will be a run in two set up a 4 way dance at the PPV. That is literally how it will end to a T. Sheamus with the Brogue Kick on Ziggler or a Mark Henry run in or something. Outside of the 10 percent run in possibility there is no reason to watch that match.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
More reason why the WWE has to start establishing top heels. A guy like Randy Orton or Wade Barrett would work wonders for Sheamus and make him look like a strong champion.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
After the WrestleMania booking, WWE realized that Sheamus isn't as over as they want him to be. This has made WWE very cautious about booking him in a way that would make his heel challenger look like a threat or allow him to do anything that doesn't portray him as dominant and crowd pandering at the same time. Because of this, Smackdown has a very boring and predictable WHC title scene. They also have a huge problem of not having any heels that seem like they are capable of beating Sheamus. What's the point of seeing another Sheamus/Ziggler or Sheamus/Del Rio match if Sheamus is very likely to win? Not only win, but get in the majority of the offense and get booked in a way that only benefits himself?

Sheamus vs. heel Orton is literally the only thing that can save Sheamus' run at the top. He needs someone who can legitimize him and Orton is the only one who can do that. If that doesn't happen, then Smackdown is in an awkward place of having to move on to someone else as the top guy of Smackdown and still needing to somehow keep Sheamus as the top focus. Essentially, they are hindering any star development because Sheamus isn't strong enough on his own without the WHC to hold a top position.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts