Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is his lack of stage presence, guys like Cena, Batista, HHH, Rock, Goldberg, Orton, Lesnar, Angle, Jericho, Guerrero, HBK, and among others have. When Jack Swagger comes to the ring I don't get that electric feel like the aformentioned. On SmackDown currently he just doesn't stick out to me. Hardy, Rhodes, Christian, and MVP have more appeal and they are midcard/upper card wrestlers. Compared to the likes of Kane, Undertaker, and Rey Mysterio he just doesn't seem to have that aura that draws you in for a main eventer. Anyone agree? Thoughts?

·
Registered
837 Posts
There's only one problem with him? I do agree though. Stage presence is on the long list of problems he has.

-Lack of originality is one. He just seems like they took all generic heel ideas and threw them at him.
-The lisp is quite grating.
-He looks like he could in fact be a possible link between humans and orangutans.
-His promos are tedious to get through.
-His look, mainly the singlet, cries midcard jobber.
-His theme song could be applied to any newcomer or an old timer looking for a new gimmick. It seems it would fit more if Chuck Palumbo combined his biker gimmick with his Billy & Chuck one.
-He got to the main event as a shock win and that's it.

Hopefully he's completely off Summerslam, although I wouldn't doubt it if he cost Mysterio the win. I'd be alright with it if he just wasn't such a bore. I do anticipate this board singing his praises and calling him the greatest ever should he cost Rey the win. For the record, I do want Rey to lose. I just want Swagger to gain some originality.

·
Registered
498 Posts
His only problem is that he is new to the me scene and is still feeling it out. As is the creative team with his character and feuds. The guy has raw talent and even though his reign wasn't anything to write home about there have been far worse title reigns by much more established wrestlers. I think the dominance factor is just something that will come in time. He has the look and size to be a threat and a bad ass, he just needs to bounce around and fall into the grove of the ME scene. It doesn't help that SD has been ridiculously awful since the draft.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
That's his biggest problem. Agreed...that and no charisma.

Having no presence just adds to it. He's flawed in every possible way except for his in ring work. Not a true star, just a flop champion like Khali.
Hmm I wouldn't compare him as close as Khali. At least Swagger can put on a match, and at least he has a respectable gimmick.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It is his lack of stage presence, guys like Cena, Batista, HHH, Rock, Goldberg, Orton, Lesnar, Angle, Jericho, Guerrero, HBK, and among others have. When Jack Swagger comes to the ring I don't get that electric feel like the aformentioned. On SmackDown currently he just doesn't stick out to me. Hardy, Rhodes, Christian, and MVP have more appeal and they are midcard/upper card wrestlers. Compared to the likes of Kane, Undertaker, and Rey Mysterio he just doesn't seem to have that aura that draws you in for a main eventer. Anyone agree? Thoughts?
Yeah, I don't agree.

·
Premium Member
18,093 Posts
Yeah the dude is just pretty bland. But I have hope. The dude still has a good 10+ years in him. If booked correctly he could one day have that same presence as other main eventers have had.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The only thing I don't like is how WWE is trying to make him the new Kurt Angle. Make him unique please.
Yeah, especially since he has no where near the level of talent of Angle. The WWE need to focus on giving this guy something original, work to his strengths, if they do wanna make him like Kurt, make him like TNA's Kurt, a wrestling machine who doesn't talk as much and instead does it all in the ring. I also don't like his look, I think he'd look better in trunks.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I don't have a problem with the guy's lisp at all, it's a part of his gimmick and he knows how to work it well.

I do agree on his lack of presence though, he needs to be booked as a more dominant wrestler before he'll gain that presence.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts