Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been a huge fan of Guns N' Roses pretty much since I started listening to music. Being only 21, I never had the privilege of being alive during the original Guns N' Roses heyday (the original GNR lineup, in my opinion, is one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Second in my book only to the mighty Led Zeppelin). I have had the privilege of seeing Slash and Duff in concert (with Velvet Revolver) and also got to meet Steven Adler, which was awesome! Any who, being the big Guns N' Roses fan that I am, I am sadden at what this once great band has dissolved into. We can sit and argue all day about whether their recent album, Chinese Democracy, should be even considered a GNR record (which I believe it shouldn't) but that's not what this is about. My "beef" so to speak, is with Axl Rose. Axl is the only remaining member left in the band and has basically turned it into his solo project. I would support Axl in anything he wanted to do with the current Guns lineup if he would just do one thing...actually start showing respect for his fans.

Anyone who follows GNR knows Axl has a habit of starting his concerts an hour, sometimes two hours after they were originally scheduled to start their set. I've heard every excuse in the book for why he does this, from he has stage fright to it takes him a long time to warm up his voice. I've read Slash's book and part of Steven's and from what they say in there, they believe Axl has some serious mental problems stemming all the way back to his childhood when he was supposedly sexually and physically abused. Now that is certainly sad but are you telling me that Axl is the only performer in the world that has not had problems like that? Steven Adler has admitted to being raped as a child and again that certainly has to be traumatic but now that he has apparently kicked his drug addiction, he shows up to every show on time and gives it his all. And there are others that have gone through that but still show up and do their job. You can't blame it on ego either because there are many bands that have big egos (Metallica comes to mind) but when's the last time you've heard of them starting a show two hours after their scheduled start time? What's sad is that when Axl does start performing, from all the reviews I've read, he's amazing. Now if he could just learn to show up on time, he would rule again but now that he controls the band, he's surrounded himself with yes people who will only continue to feed this. So, since it appears that he will not stop this and start showing respect for his fans, I just cannot continue to support him. I will not buy a ticket, an album, or even a T-shirt anymore. GNR could be playing in my backyard and I still wouldn't go see it. I only wish other fans would follow suit but there will always be a new festival promotor or concert promoter who wants to make a quick buck off the GNR name and there will always be fans who say "hey, Guns N' Roses, they used to rule." Well, not anymore...

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
paragraphs are your friend.

Guns n' Roses haven't been awesome since the 90's. this rant is late.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Robert Plant is pretty much a god. And there, I've split my original post into two paragraphs so it's hopefully a little easier to read.

Thing is, Axl hasn't really lost a whole lot. Sure he's older now but his voice is mostly there, unlike a lot of the guys of his era. He still does put on a good show, he just needs to stop pissing off his fans occasion after occasion.

·
40,667 Posts
No, he's lost the magic of being able write amazing songs. The stuff he does now is crap. He might still be a good performer. I wouldn't know because I haven't heard a decent song since Use Your Illusion.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Axl lost most of his songwriting magic when Izzy Stradlin left the band. People seem to overlook Izzy's importance to the original Guns N' Roses, he really was the rock n' roll backbone. Once he left, it all went down hill. Izzy and Axl were magic together.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
The fact Axl is even still alive after the mass amounts of shit he's put into his body means he wins. The only guy that wins harder is Tommy Lee, considering he did the same thing and managed to fuck one of the biggest sex symbols of the 90's in the most popular viral video of all time. Before internet was even cool. And he was PRAISED for it.

But Axl is in that league imo. They're both complete assholes and unbelievable drug addicts, but they're still alive, rich, and making music. I have to give it up for them tbh.

·
✔
21,671 Posts
Apparently he put on a brilliant show down here in Australia, both here in Adelaide and in Sydney.

One of the main criticisms however was that the endless rotation of band members don't put their own spin on the classics, and play Jungle, Easy etc just like old Gunners.

Slash and Adler put much more shit into their bodies than Axl by the way.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Pretty sure they were all heroin addicts, so that's not really saying much. Just like Aerosmith, only Aerosmith managed to keep the original band together despite all Steve's bullshit.

·
Registered
458 Posts
his antics at Reading Festival this year sorta made me love the fucking moron. One of the most bizarre and brilliant ends to a set I've seen in my entire life.
Pretty much the opposite. He came across as a complete dick. They said he'd be cancelled if he was an hour late, so he turned up 58 minutes late instead. The other bands just made a mockery of him, because it was so cliched of him. When he finally turned up, he was a shell of who he used to be. I cringed when they got the megaphones >.<

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty sure they were all heroin addicts, so that's not really saying much. Just like Aerosmith, only Aerosmith managed to keep the original band together despite all Steve's bullshit.
I don't think Axl ever was big into the hard drugs. From what I've read, it sounds like he was the only band member that didn't fall into that. I do remember reading in Steven's book that from what he saw, Axl never did heroin. In fact, Axl wrote the song Mr. Brownstone as kind of a thinly veiled way of telling everyone else to knock the shit off. Axl drank but that was it.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, Slash says the same thing about Axl in his book.

Plus, Axl didn't write Mr. Brownstone. Izzy and Slash wrote it during their addiction.
There was one song that Axl wrote about the band's drug abuse, just can't remember what it is at the moment. I should start reading Steven's book again.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts