Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came up with this idea that once every couple weeks Im going to give tribute threads to stars that helped paved the way,...but often overlooked. This is a great way to relive the nostalgia of the past and put up posts about the afformentioned wrestler. The cool thing is some of us might have rare footage or pictures to post.

So Akeem.....heres a upper midcarder who was extremely charasmatic and entertaining. He had excellent chemistry with the slickster and I would dare to say that Akeem's entrance music is in the top 10 greatest of all time. It wouldnt had hurt to put the belt on this guy at some point...even if just for a month.

Notable fueds involving Akeem: Akeem vs Macho Man (Anyone have the Challenge Over Paris footage?)

Akeem/ Bossman (twin towers) vs Rockers

Feel free to post

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
Sorry but I don't even know who that is.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Akeem was decent, I over-rated him back in the day because I really enjoyed him as a kid but in hindsight he was pretty average/only really had a job because of his size and interest in working as a wrestler.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sorry but I don't even know who that is.
Really? One Man Gang? Managed by Slick?

I quite enjoyed him as a youngster, had a good character and presence and was decent for a big man. Groovy theme music too.

http://youtu.be/5Jxc1vmrnQg

Sorry, I can never work out how to do the youtube links correctly.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now i beg the question.....should akeem get a spot in the wwe hall of fame. He was a relatively big name in the 80's and had fueds with the likes of hogan, savage, snake and the rockers. By no means should he headline a hall of fame....but a small spot is deserved imo. Of course he would be inducted by slickster.

Akeem/ One man Gang Highlights:

Akeem: Big fued with Savage.....Headlined a big prime time show (Challenge over Paris)

Fueded with the Rockers at mania 5.....and pinned Shawn Micheals

One Man Gang: Made it to the final four in the mania 4 tourney.....was united states champion in wcw.

just a few things.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
His name and the twin towers concept with Bossman seems like a blatant ripoff of Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson who formed the twin towers on the mid 80s Houston Rockets. And Hakeem at the time used to be known as Akeem as well since he hadn't corrected his name by then.

Hakeem is my favorite NBA player of all time though so in that case that would automatically make me a Akeem fan. 8*D

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
I was never able to get into Akeem, mostly because of the thing he did with his hand when he walked / talked.

But Slick was cool as shit. Jive Soul Bro.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Believe it or not, but I always wanted an Akeem vs Earthquake feud

·
Banned
254 Posts
Akeem trying to save the world from HBGay Shawn Michaels.

·
Lose for Hughes!
3,802 Posts
I can't stand when wrestling fans say they've never heard of certain wrestlers. I just have a weird pet peeve against wrestling fans who didn't watch wrestling prior to '98, '99, or '00... they missed out on lots of good stuff.

Back to the topic at-hand, much-love for Akeem "The African Dream". I was a big fan of Akeem when I was a kid and first started watching wrestling, never was really into One Man Gang or his other gimmicks.

Akeem & Big Bossman as The Twin Towers still remain one of my MANY favorite tag-teams, I can't remember which PPV it was but they had a pretty entertaining match against The Rockers.

EDIT: The Twin Towers vs. The Rockers was at Wrestlemania V.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts